PPQ Review

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by TSAX, May 2, 2012.

1. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

So I finally had a chance to take this thing for a test drive in the 9mm version.

Trigger = excellent
    Very smooth with a good break and reset. Better than the factory Glock, M&P, XD, XDM, P99, SW99 and Sig DAK. I think the trigger is winner.

Grip = thumbs down
    The texturing and backs traps were not that good. It will do in a pinch but not a fan. I will say the finger grooves weren't bad and not as pronounced as the Gen 3/4 Glocks.

Shooting = ok
    The trigger makes this gun worth buying. The recoil didn't feel bad at all. Doing reloads was an issue for me because I can't stand the mag release.

Overall it's a pistol worth buying but for me the Glock 19, M&P 9 and XD9 would sit higher but I would take this over the XDM9, Ruger SR9, 24/7 9 mm, Sig 250 9mm and the previous P99 models.

*** Added something, go to post #9***

:50cal:

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  2. bac1023

bac1023

Thanks for the report.

Its interesting that you hold the standard XD in higher regard than the XDm. I prefer the XDm, actually.

3. MotoGlock

MotoGlock

I think the PPQ grip is awesome.

I think the Glock grip is awesome too. (I'm not one of the pansies that complains about the glock grip as I have normal man hands, lol)
    :) :cool:

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  4. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Thanks, I prefer the XD full size over the XDM full size but in the compacts I prefer the XDM. I'm just odd I guess. The XDM competition models are another story.

5. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Thanks for the report TSA!

6. blastfact

blastfact

Thanks TSA

I recently purchased a new 9mm. The PPQ came in second place. I really liked the trigger and mag release. Two really big plus's for me. But the grip sucked really bad and the slide looked like something off a hybrid Hi-Point.

I ended up with a M&P Talo. The Glocks got tossed aside real quick. And the XD's have way to high of a bore and the retard grip safety.

7. Glock40man

Glock40man

Thanks for the report TSA.

8. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Glad you guys like the review, hope everyone gets to try this trigger, I was really impressed for out the box, :wavey:

9. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Gotta add one more thing, the loaded chamber indicator was dumb as F--k. So if anyone has noticed the one on a Beretta 92 where its sticks out right where the rear of the barrel is and has a red marking on most that show that there is a round in the chamber. On the PPQ its on the opposite end between the rear of the barrel and back of the gun along the ride side and has a red mark but its not that easy to notice and its much harder to swipe with your trigger finger to feel if its loaded in the dark or whenever. :brickwall:

They couldnt have done a small cut out like in the M&P or the little thing sticking up from the XD's or the Beretta style. :brickwall:

10. Rustin

Rustin

Thanks for the report. I've only heard good things about the PPQ.

11. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

I have shot the gun and it is nice. The mags at $50 each is the killer for me. I like 6-8 mags each for each semi auto I have. 6 extra mags would be 3/5 of the cost of the gun.

12. P99er

P99er GT Ombudsman

I don't know why they had to change the grip. I like the P99 better, but the PPQ is still better than just about everything out there.

13. vtducrider

vtducrider

I started making inquiries on the PPQ First Edition. I'd love to try a standard one, but probably will only buy the 1st edition model if I can find one. Thanks for the report.

14. Comedian

Comedian

I also prefer XDM to XD. Sorry for drift.

15. G31

G31 Millennium Member

It seems to me that a lot more has gone wrong if someone needs the loaded chamber indicator to tell if their gun is loaded in the dark. In regard to the Beretta, I have three, and the two 92FSs show some of the red paint even when the extractor is down, and the chamber is empty. You can also still feel the slight bump there. The point being this...counting on the LCI, and not using traditional methods to check the chamber, is more of a gamble than its worth.

I have a 9mm PPQ and find it to be better than all of my other guns for general CCW. This is not to say I can't do equally well with my Glocks, SIGs, HKs, or whatever, but that I like the features of this gun the most. To me, the mag release lends itself well for ejecting the mag without shifting grip. I actually use my support hand to eject the mag, because it is already in the perfect position to activate it. The only real detriment I've found with it is the height when compared to my G19. However, it is not enough to matter for concealment purposes with my daily routine.

That said, not every person is going to like the features of a particular pistol, and that is why we have variety. Nothing is wrong with having an opinion on the LCI or the mag release...just wanted to play the other side to give people something to think about.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  16. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn Got Pignose?

What do you expect? What is a Glock fan boy going to say when "reviewing" a superior pistol? They attacked the mag release until people actually tried it. They attacked the interchangeable backstraps, until Glock took the idea.

Leave them to their delusions.

17. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

I love my PPQ. Great trigger. Reliable--over 800 rounds--not a single issue. Yeah, the mags are expensive. German guns are like that. The mag release only takes a little geting used to. People have been using H&K mag releases for a long time. Works fine.

I like the PPQ grip better than my 9mm Glocks by far. THe PPQ is really closer the the G19 than the G17 in terms of size.

Loaded chamber? Press check.

18. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Watch out. The mall ninja enforcement might have to come and detain you.. :tongueout: jk

19. 45caldan

45caldan

The mag release is better/faster than the usual style (once you get used to it) and that's coming from a 1911 guy!
    The grip is the best I've ever felt.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  20. Low_Speed

Low_Speed

I've had my PPQ for a couple of months and love it. I'm surprised that people don't like the grip. IMO the grip is one of the best thing about it. The mag release didn't take much to get used to.

The issues that I have. I do wish that it had a chamber indicator like the P99. I've notice that since I shoot with both eyes open and the way I grip the PPQ all I see is the back of the slide so I never know that the slide has lock back unless I attempt to pull the trigger and nothing happens. I will say that I've never had an issue with my Glock 19 or PX4 Storm.
    And the lack of holsters for it. I ordered a Raven Concealment holster for it and the wait time is 16 to 18 weeks. If it takes that long to make and ship a holster to a customer you need to hire more people.
    Otherwise, it's probably the best handgun I've ever fired besides a 1911.