PPK / S

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by sakecover, Feb 20, 2020.

1. DEE50

DEE50

Yeah this would be mostly for fun. The only gun I really dont notice carrying has been the Ruger LCP.

I have nice gun belt and Ive tried several holsters, and I just cant carry a J-frame revolver or any semi auto bigger than the LCP for a length of time.

I know some of you carry the 1911 or whatever, but I would suffocate trying to do that.

2. bac1023

bac1023

I don’t think it was ever a great carry gun. Very snappy and not very reliable.

3. bac1023

bac1023

Stainless is a material, not a finish.

It doesn’t have the hardness of carbon steel and isn’t as good for tight fitted handguns.

4. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Again, from limited experience, my stainless PPK did not function as smoothly as a blued Manurhin PPK/s or a blued Walther PP I had. It required more lube (grease on the slide rails) and oil elsewhere than the blued guns to function well, and even then just felt "rougher." I suppose that could be quality of fit & finish but I suspect it is also attributable to qualities of the stainless steel used.

The PPK will have sharper recoil than the /s or PP. The short grip, at least for me directed ALL the recoil into the web of my hand between my thumb and first finger. Very annoying. The /s in .380 and the PP in .32 did not do that.

If you primarily want a shooter and a PP series gun just to have one, get a PP.

5. banger

banger

I can tell you this.....

In my time as PFI for a group of unruly children, I have seen my share of Walther PPK/S' show up on the range.

Honest to goodness, I can/t remember any of them making it through a qualification without a malfunction.

And... at least a few were soooo bad, I refused to certify them for carry.

NOW, if you like that type of firearm.....

Buy a Sig 230/232. They virtually never had a problem.

BigBluefish likes this.
  6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Both. The PPK/S is only 1/3 inch shorter, 4/100ths narrower, 15/100ths shorter, and 2 to 3 ounces heavier than my Glock 43. The only difference for the PPK is that it is .45" shorter than the Glock and only weighs about an ounce more.

Why would I carry a .380 that is heavier than my 9mm and so close in every dimension I'd need a ruler to decide which is bigger? That would be a completely illogical choice.

If you live in Italy or Mexico and aren't allowed to carry 9mm, at least get a hi-cap .380.

7. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

"Buy a Sig 230/232."

Or a Beretta 85.

I'd go so far as to say, buy a Bersa Thunder .380. The one I had, and the one my father has, have been very reliable. Trigger and sights are better than the Walthers' and they have a slide lock/release lever. Not as nice a design, nor nearly as finely made as the Beretta, SIG 230 or 232, or even the PP series guns, but much less expensive and THEY WORK.

Ofc.JL likes this.
  8. dbuck47

dbuck47

I had an Interarms PPK/s in late 70’s marked “ made in Germany “. It was blue carbon steel. Fairly accurate, and very reliable with brass cased fmj ammo. It was comfortable to shoot to me.

The stainless USA made PPK and subsequent other variations have mixed reputations.

I love the design actually and wouldn’t mind having a blue German made one for nostalgia.

For a carry gun, there are so many 9mm options available in a similar size and weight.

9. Colt M-4

Colt M-4 AK-74 Silver Member

Buy a current 2019 2020 PPK model the finish and fit is far better now. And you can tell all the ones who dislike or have never even owned one.Yeah i have one and i like it.And name it ***** Galore to trigger the flakes ha ha I have owned well over a 100 and still have the new 2019 model in PPK and PPK /S..

Walther-20.jpg

slamdunc likes this.
  10. wyntrout

wyntrout

I had a Manuhrin PP that I imported and later sold... never carried it... back before CCW was a widespread thing. I also bought the SS Interarms PPK/S... always wanted one, but didn't like the SHARP lower rear of the slide. I never warmed to it, but did carry a TPH .22 until I had a problem with ammo here in FL, so sold it after switching to the Kahr P380... centerfire good.
    The ones pictured above don't seem to have the sharp lower rear slides. :)
    Oh, I had the Erma .22LR, an Interarms PPK copy in steel or pot metal, as the Walthers are now. :( But... I don't need a "pocket .22LR".

11. Bradd D

Bradd D

I had an Interarms PPK/S in .380. It was not pleasant to shoot.

12. Colt M-4

I had a 375 Holland and Holland and a African Winchester Mod 70 .458 and a Pre-64 Mod 70 270 all not pleasant to shoot. However for what i sold them for back in the day, I wish i had all three back today.

in excess of over ten grand the way i had them scoped out and ammo.
    but yeah youth ya do stupid things.... giphy (3).gif

13. Bradd D

Bradd D

I almost sold my CZ 550 9.3 X 62.

IMG_2324 (3).jpg

14. Colt M-4

Keep it. You won't regret that ever....

15. sakecover

sakecover

I never directly called stainless a finish. Besides, you dont need to correct every little technicality. Its annoying, and 99% of people would understand what I am talking about, which is the purpose of communication. Also, I like the way stainless looks for the PPK!

And to everyone else, I can see that there are "better" options out there for carrying or shooting a gun. Some people still like revolvers and 1911s and there are "better" options than those, too!

:couch:

FullClip likes this.
  16. Ofc.JL

Ofc.JL

As was mentioned the PPK/S was born due to the GCA of '68. The PPK could not be imported due to failing the point scale as being too small. Walther took the all steel lower frame of the PP series, and placed the shorter PPK slide and barrel on the PP frame. And the PPK/Special was born. It made the Importation points list by being taller. And happened to fit the big American hand better, so it became a hit, and still is to this day. Do the PPK series guns kick in .380? Yes they do, but get a strong hand hold on it, and it's not too bad. S&W's version started the "Beavertail" thing that Walther approved of, and still makes w/ their newest PPK-PPK/S versions. It does help, somewhat.
    I find the original PPK to be a great pocket pistol due to it's size and weight. It is lighter then the PPK/S because it has a cut away frame on the grip strap, and the light plastic grips cover that. With a finger rest magazine, the PPK just barely fits an average hand, but it does fit. As far as the pistol being in .380, there are 2 frames of thought about power. Either carry all ball ammunition and go for penetration, or carry some of the newer enhanced light hollow point rds that are quite powerful for this caliber. In an up close anti personnel kind of engagement, the .380 will get the job done, with proper placement and no barriers to punch through. Across a parking lot, or down the block shooting, nope, the .380 is sucking wind.
    The newer PPK's and PPK/S's coming from Walther are just about flawless, IMHO. I have been working on PP's, PPK's and PPK/S's for many years, and more w/ the S&W version(Some are good, some aren't, and need extensive tuning to work). New versions are German made slide and barrel, and American made frame, and then carefully fitted. I have a new PPK, and a new PPK/S, and I am very happy w/ their performance. They joined my 1968 blue PPK in .32 ACP, and my newer PPK/S in .22 LR. I like PPK's and I trust mine.:D

Jan R Whitaker likes this.
  17. bac1023

bac1023

I knew exactly what you were saying. I wanted to make sure you did, because it didn’t seem so.

I also answered your question, so you’re welcome, by the way.

18. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

I thought my PPK/S was beautiful, well made, pistol. It was reliable and accurate.

But, very heavy non-linear DA trigger and so-so SA trigger. And compared to today's alternatives, a heavy gun. One of the very few guns I've ever sold.

FullClip likes this.
  19. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

I bought a S&W made one several years ago. Mostly because of the Houlton, Maine roll mark. I grew up in that town. Fun to shoot, but I don't carry it. The S&W units don't get the highest praise, but for my purpose it's good. My older brother wants it bad due to the roll mark, so maybe I can find something of his he's willing to part with.

20. sakecover

sakecover

No, Brian. I knew what I was talking about as well, and I would rather your behaviors not impinge on the people around you. To me, it's more impressive to see a gun owner who is civil and polite, and not rude and disrespectful towards the OP.