Pow'RBall .38 Special +p 100gr

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by cal45, Feb 13, 2010.

1. cal45

cal45

Just picked up a box of these for my new LCR. Box says 1150fps & 294ft/lbs - I figure that is not bad performance for a self defense round. Any one have any experience with PowRBall ammo?

Thanks

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

That's going back to the old Super Vel, (circa late '60's to mid-70's) philosophy of light bullets pushed at warp speed velocity. Didn't work all that well back then... I would question it's effectiveness now.

Florida Highway Patrol used to issue 110 grain JHP .357 mag Super Vel, encountered problems with bullet fragmentation.

Jack

3. carbofan21

carbofan21

none for me, thanks

4. ronin.45

ronin.45

I use Pow'r Ball in all my carry guns. For my autos they feed like FMJ and guarantee expansion. I have had the opportunity to take animals wth them and they are absolutely devestating in tissue. Ignore all the people who whine about fragmentation and poor penetration. They are designed to shed the jacket and they penetrate plenty.

5. carbofan21

carbofan21

if you have a 1911 (or other auto) that won't reliably feed JHP, i could understand giving powrball a try. obviously, there would be no such problems in a revolver. most revolver sights are regulated on something between 125 to 158 grains, meaning a 100 grain projectile will probably shoot low.

corbon sells this stuff in 20 round boxes at $1 or more for each round. i can find the 135 grain gold dot short barrel load in 50 round boxes for $25 out the door. a better load for roughly half the price is a no-brainer in my opinion.

6. cal45

cal45

I do plan to pick up some Speer 135gr Gold Dot's but local dealer was out. So decided to pick up a box of these in the mean time. Glaser is the maker of these PowRBall rounds. As ronin.45 stated above, these are designed for deep penetration having a polymer ball capping a jacketed bullet.

7. MURRAY

MURRAY Millennium Member

Powerball is made by CORBON who also does Glaser. They are a fast and light crowd it would seem if thats your thing go for it. Hits count more than the load does anyway.
    I would also look into the 135 load I use that and love it see which one you and your gun likes better