close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Powersports: Who doesn't wear a helmet?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jame, Oct 16, 2012.

1. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

railfans's grandson's post of a very unfortunate accident got me thinking.

Who among us does not follow their own advice?

I'm on the kids constantly, and for riding around my place it is law that everyone wears a helmet if the ATV is powered up. If it's running and you're on it, you're riding.

Except for me. I'm just putting along. Riding fence line or checking trails, I just don't ride very fast at all. As a matter of fact, I ride very grandpa like.

But I'm wrong, wrong, wrong. Tomorrow I buy a helmet. And I wear it, by God.

Is anyone else guilty as charged?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Never do. Probably should, as I ride fast and fun, but I don't. If I die or become a veggie because of my choice, so be it. Wife and I both want the plugs pulled if we're out for more than a few days. We are organ donors as well.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012

3. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

Can't say I ever thought about wearing a helmet on the 4 wheeler.

4. ray9898

ray9898

Every time....it does to take much of a blow to the head to do serious damage.

5. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

never even considered a helmet on a 4wheeler.

6. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

There's a young woman in the long term care unit of our local county hospital that suffered massive head trauma by falling off a motorcycle at about 30 mph.

She's not hooked up to any machines. She can sustain life just fine. The nurses on staff do need to feed her, but life is essentially nothing. Lie in bed and stare at the TV.

Her husband has come to see her nearly every day for the last 10 years. I'm guessing he's around 45-50 or so.

Not for me. Not after seeing the ravages of life after the fact. I think many think that they'll be just fine, killed, or unplugged. Usually not the case. Usually somewhere in between.

But after tomorrow, hopefully not me. Because I'll be wearing a bucket.

7. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

I'm a pilot. I have to pass a First Class Flight Physical with the FAA every six months, so you bet I wear a helmet. A lot of you guys could do your job from a wheel chair, but I couldn't, so for me it's automatic to strap on the skid lid.

8. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

I also don't believe for one second that a helmet is going to save my life, though I've always worn them on dirtbikes. I raced motocross when I was younger so that may have something to do with it, 4wheelers are a different thing all together though. I'll probably start wearing a helmet on those when I start wearing one to drive to work

9. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

The idiots!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

10. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus Silver Member

I wear a helmet while on my dirtbike.

I wore a helmet while on a dual sport bike.

I wear a helmet while on my 4-wheeler.

I wear a helmet when I snowboard.

If you engage in a potentially high-impact and/or extreme sport and you don't wear a helmet, you are a dumb ass.

My kids also wear their helmets when engaged in said sports. If I catch them not doing so, it results in a can of whoop ass and loss of privileges. Numbah One Son did it exactly one time. My kids understand that helmets are a non-negotiable item.

11. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

I always wear a helmet when on a dirt bike or 4 wheeler. I also always wear a helmet when riding my horse. I have a great horse, but its still a horse and crap happens.

Only exception would be putting around the hunting property at low speeds.

12. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

When young, I never wore a helmet when riding a dirt bike. Had the eye protection always, but never a helmet. G-d watches out for fools.

13. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

I ride motorcycles on the agreed and dirt and always wear a helmet. On the rare occasion that I ride a four wheeler, it's just putting around the pits at a dirt bike race and I never wear a helmet.

Oddly, riding a four wheeler at any significant speed scares the crap out of me. I'll tear it up on two wheels, but four wheelers just feel sketchy as hell.

14. coonracing18

coonracing18

racecar=helmet
    snowmobile=helmet
    quad= no helmet

Ya, im a BA lol no really though the snowmobile is way to fast for my own good and the quad is just a yard workin/trash haulin/driveway plowin mo-sheen so really no need for it as i dont ever go faster than 10 mph

15. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

Always wore a helmet on a snowmobile for a practical reason. I didn't freeze my face off. Beyond that, I don't ride.

16. tim12232

tim12232 Pistolero

I have ridden motorcycles on the street and offroad for 12 years. When I was 16&17 had to have a helmet on by law. But when I turned 18 I hated wearing it and seldom put it on. After a few years I moved to CA and had to wear one again, but this time I was starting to get older and realized that my head could possibly be of paramount importance! Now I dont ride without on "even back in MN" unless I have done an oil change and am just taking the bike down my street and back.
    I think helmet laws are dumb and stupid for anyone 18 and older, I dont think the gov should be involved. But I wear one because its wise.

17. Happypuppy

Happypuppy

I wear one on my Motorcycle. Even of not mandatory I would do it and did so when I started riding years ago. However it was my choice...I don't like seat belt laws, texting laws etc. In a free society it's my right to choice.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

18. itstime

itstime

I always do.

I tell people to stand tall. Put your hands behind your back.

Fall forward and let your head hit first. That's 0 mph.

My hest ales hits I don't want on my head/face all the time. Stones anything else kicked up.

19. sappy13

sappy13

When i was a kid we used to ride 4 wheelers at my grandparents. I cant really remember ever wearing a helmet. When we had a dirtbike i would ride it up the street without a helmet sometimes, but i always wore one if i hopped onto the pipelines. I would love to be able to ride my motorcycle without a helmet after a good workout or a nice long run, but even if it was legal, it just wouldnt be worth it.

20. bocaboca

bocaboca

i coach baseball at the travel and high school level. if any of my kids have a bat in their hands...they have a helmet on. it doesn't matter weather they are doing soft toss, cages or live arm...its "Bat n Hat. it will become mandated next year that all high school coaches who coach 1st and 3rd base wear protective head gear while they are on the field.