close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

PowerPoint Woes

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by illuminate100, Mar 8, 2006.

1. illuminate100

illuminate100 CTR

When I try to run my PowerPoint presentation in my desktop (XP runing Office XP) it fails to play as a slideshow. Also, a second window opens up which does nothing, all you see is the minimizied window in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen.

Bizzare. I tried unistalling Office completely, and reinstalling, but to no avail. Anyone?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. illuminate100

illuminate100 CTR

See...nobody wants to answer, or try to answer, a question like this because a) it's not sexy and b) it's a tough one because who the hell knows why this is happening.

:)

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Hah hah.

As with any odd problem like this, esp. one that persists after the M$ mess in question has been ripped and reinstalled, you need to start with the most likely issue and work your way to the least likely.

That's just good troubleshooting protocol IMNSHO.

First, what do you use for an antivirus? Antimalware?

When was the HDD last defragged?

Answer those questions for starters and you'll get some more help.

4. illuminate100

illuminate100 CTR

I insult people's intelligence all the time whilst trying to help them trouble shoot...so I won't take offense. JK

I use AVG w/Zone Alarm as well as MS Beta Anti-Spyware along with Lavasoft. My machine is clean. My HD is clean and defragged since I reinstalled the whole damned OS a few months back, besides, what the hell would fragmentation have to do with a problem like this.

I think I'm just going to install a new version of Office anyway.

5. illuminate100

illuminate100 CTR

Yep, w/ my new video card (well, not NEW, but newer) I had never looked at a PPT since I always use my laptop, NOT my desktop. It was a video setting error...switched to single monitor, no more problems. I should have been able to figure this out sooner. Oh well.

Thanks for your help anyway.