close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Powerlifting weight ratio question.

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by BCR, Dec 8, 2006.

1. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Just out of curiosity, what weight ratios do the three lifts consist of?

Meaning, stereotypically, what lift is usually done with the most weight and which with the least?

I always thought the squat was heaviest, with the bench very close behind and then the deadlift.

So say (just for example) someone has a 400 lb bench, roughly what would be a respectable weight to squat and deadlift?

I realize there's no concrete answer here, just looking for a rough estimate.

2. Glock'n

Glock'n

When I did a powerlifting meet my best was my deadlift, followed by my squat, and then my bench. I have a friend who is a competitive powerlifter and holds several world records for his weight class and his squat is better than his deadlift.

Out of the three exercises benching is the hardest. For one it uses the smallest muscles of the three. A persons physical makeup has a lot to do with what they are good at. A person with short arms is normally better at benching due to a shorter throw and leverage. Same with squatting a person with shorter legs is normally better at that also. With deadlifting longer legs seem to work better.

I have been working out for almost 14 years. My best bench has been 400lbs. I normally work out in the high 200's to mid 300's. My best squat has been 500lbs for a set of 6 and I have deadlifted 500lbs one time. Weight comes with time and over time heavy weight produces some serious size. The thing about weightlifting is you have to mix it up to keep increasing the weights. If I could only do one exericise it would be squatting because it is the only one that taxes the whole body. Good luck!

3. DBradD

DBradD

Yeah, there's definitely no set ratio.

FWIW, my squat and deadlift were usually very similar with my bench press about 60% as much.

I seem to remember the winners in my weight class (181) squatting and deadlifting 640-680, with the two being pretty close, and bench pressing about 400.

4. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I also think it depends on what type of equipment.

5. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

My best lifts were squat 722; bench 501; deadlift 661 at a bodyweight of 249. The 501 bench was at a different meet. I missed 507 at the meet where I hit the squat and DL listed, and only wound up with a 462(?) second attempt. My deadlift wasn't that great because I only deadlifted three or four times a year.

Once I get a problem with my lower back worked out (think it's some poor alignment due to a variety of issues, none related due to lifting), I am back on the powerlifting train, and will probably start competing again mid-year.

6. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Thanks for the input guys.

7. California Jack

BCR,

If my suspicions are correct, I say go for it. Pick a meet and enter. It is the best way to figure out if you like the sport and will provide much motivation. Give it a try!

Jack

8. DBradD

DBradD

+1

Powerlifting contests are fun. They are very long, however, so bring something to read and some good food. I often found myself wishing that I would've brought a camping pad, blanket, and a pillow also--seriously.

9. California Jack

BCR,

I think you are strong enough. Just start working on lowering your rep range while upping the pndages. I suspect youy've built a great base and just need a little time to work on you maximal strength.

Jack

10. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Thanks for the motivation, but I can honestly say I have no intention of entering a contest.

I was just trying to get a rough estimate of where I should be.

I haven't maxed out on bench in about 5 years, have never maxed out on squats and (as you know now) just recently started deadlifting for the first time ever. I lift as heavy as I can for the 5-10 rep range, but lift alone so I never have a spotter.

A friend of mine holds the state record for bench press in the 181 weigh class (not sure of age group) with a 370 bench, which he set within the last couple of weeks. So we've just been talking about powerlifting lately.

I am creeping up on 405 for my deadlift though, I got 385 last week, which was my 4th or 5th time ever deadlifting.

And if this morning if I can find a spotter I'll give the ole bench a try.;) I've been doing dumbells for way too long.

11. DBradD

DBradD

I have little doubt that those lifts make you the strongest GTer who's ever lived! Maybe the stronger glock owner (presumably) who's ever lived!!

12. DBradD

DBradD

Hey, if your squat is stronger than your deadlift, and weight is your goal, you might consider sumo deadlifting. I was 19 at my first meet, lifting at 162 lbs (after dropping some serious weight to get to 165, so was weakened) and was hoping to get 380-400 for deadlift. I switched to sumo the day of the meet, having never even practiced it, and got 440 fairly easily. Could've probably gotten 460 but didn't have a 4th lift.

13. California Jack

CHEATER!

:rofl:

14. DBradD

DBradD

I had the wrong shoes (same ones I squatted in--high top basketball shoes), so does that mitigate the crime?

[EricCartmanVoice]Sumo deadlift kicks ayuss![/EricCartmanVoice]

I bet I could get 100 more lbs with sumo. Later, my best was 505 for a perfect set of 4 in the gym at 181. My meet day diet stunk, so I was always weak by the time deadlift came around, so the best I ever got was an even 500. I doubt that I could've gotten much over 405 using the "guys with stronger backs than legs" method.

I had a 6'-2" 198 lb buddy who got 560 in a meet once with what looked like a SLD. I probably watched that tape 10 times and never got over the horror of anticipating that back snapping! Really hurt to watch.

15. California Jack

I think I am actually built for Sumo pulling, but pull more conventional. I guess I probably pull about like your buddy. I suppose one of these days I'll try cheating too.