close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Powerbook HDD Vibration

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Wingnut357, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Wingnut357

Wingnut357 Killer Casual

Just need a second opinion.

The HDD in my 12" Powerbook G4 is starting to vibrate, a lot. The noise comes and goes, and changes based on the orientation of the laptop.

I know it isn't the fan, because I hear it throttle up and down independent of the vibration.

Before I shell out $120 for an new HDD and go spelunking in my laptop (a difficult operation), I'd like to image my whole HDD on an external temporary drive for safekeeping. Then after I install the new HDD, copy the image over without reinstalling anything.

If this is not possible or there are better ways of going about it, I'd like to know before I start.

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Well, it's a snap with an XP box...but it can get interesting with a Mac.

What OS is it running now? Is that what it had when you got it, or did you upgrade?

3. Wingnut357

Wingnut357 Killer Casual

It shipped with 10.2, but I upgraded with a full version of 10.4.

I think I'm going to buy the new drive, connect it via firewire, boot from my DVD, disk image the old drive over to the new one, then swap them.

Anyway, that seems to be the recommended method, from what I've been reading.

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

With Panther variants, that is the best way to go.

OS 8.x and 9.x, and even 10.0, just plain suck for this sort of thing IMO.

Good luck!

5. Wingnut357

Wingnut357 Killer Casual

Sorry to resurrect this issue, but I thought I might post the results for the other guy on this board using a mac.

I purchased a new HDD and downloaded SuperDuper, which is a free disk cloner like Carbon Copy, but I think it's much better.

Put the new HDD in my cheapo firewire enclosure and it kept crashing, so I had to buy a more expensive one that had the Oxford chipset.

New enclosure worked fine, but the cloning process only made it to 81% before the old HDD ground to a halt with the smell of electrical unhappiness.

Opened the Powerbook (instructions available at ifixit.com) and swapped the disks, then did a clean install of Tiger on the blank disk.

Put the old HDD in the freezer (don't laugh) while I tweaked the settings in tiger, then when it was nice and cold I put it in the enclosure and turned it on. Worked fine, but only when it was upside-down. Saved all my docs and such, and got a clean OS in the process. Not ideal, but better than I expected.