Powerball

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jade Falcon, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

The numbers drawn tomorrow is for a jackpot of $385 Million.

Who has their ticket? I just spent $20 on mine from the local 7-11.

Personally speaking, I'd take the lump sum, but only after consulting with lawyers and financial advisors. I think the lump sum is something like $245 million after taxes, but don't quote me on that.

If by some miracle I win, I'm thinking a nice, giant ranch out in Texas or Montana; somewhere in a Republican state that respects my gun rights. I don't need anything too big since I live alone....maybe 100 acres? I'm thinking I don't want to spend more than $12 million on the house and property; and I'm fine with it being less than that. Hire a butler or ranch-hand to help me maintain it.

And a LOT goes for my toys and guns. Not to mention season tickets on the floor to every Portland Trail Blazers home game at the Moda Center. I'm thinking by the time I'm done I would have spent about $30 million on cars, guns, and other fun items.

$5 million goes to my parents. Enjoy your retirement.

My sister doesn't get a penny. Too much drugs and alcohol in her life, and I don't trust the scumbag she lives with. But I'll start a fund for her son's college education....maybe $80,000.

Then amass more money. You can never have enough of it. I've always wanted to start up my own production company away from the influences of Hollywood, and there has never been a better time to do that than now.

And yeah....hookers and blow. I know the routine. :animlol:

Paul53, KikoMonster and crockett like this.
  2. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Oh, and I'm buying GlockTalk from Carbon Media Group. Kick out all of the mods, and label myself "Lord High Commander". That has a good ring to it.:supergrin:

Paul53, clemsonf250, NAZG26 and 3 others like this.

3. nursetim

nursetim

I’d hire a chauffeur. Build a huge clinic with apartments on top for all the providers. A log cabin on a private lake.

Paul53, starfish86, tadbart and 3 others like this.
  4. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

How much would it cost me to lock up Hillary & Obama? Can I afford Holder too?

5. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

I have $12 in it.

:cool:

Jade Falcon likes this.
  6. 10sRin

10sRin

Not to pee on your parade, but the numbers are off. If you take lump sum, it starts at 50% of the initial amount ( would be $193,500,000), then you pay taxes on that amount. Hope ya enjoy it.

Paul53 and TBO like this.
  7. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

....huh?

I thought you got less taking the lump sum BECAUSE they took taxes out of it?

:dunno:

8. Tvov

Tvov

I'll buy a ticket, just one though. Dirty little secret: the way the lottery works with random number picking, you really are not increasing you chances by buying more tickets. Raffles are different - with a set number of tickets, each one you buy does increase your chance of winning.

I guess I'd do the single payout... that way, if I spend / lose it all, it is my fault, not some nameless bank that was supposed to control the annuity.

I'd pay off my house, give the kids some amount, with another amount put in a 10 year trust or something for them, buy a late '70s / '80s whale tail Porsche 911, give some amount to family members, plan some rebuild of our house, do some traveling, take over the fire department SCBA air pack replacement account from my town and fund it myself.... And, probably BEFORE doing any of this, put away a bunch in conservative funds / accounts so I would be reasonably assured of still having money in 10 years.

Fun stuff to dream about. I usually buy maybe one MegaMillions ticket a week, Powerball usually only when it gets big... because anything less than $100 million just isn't worth my time (lol!). Who knows, it is all a big gov conspiracy anyways... !

Jade Falcon likes this.
  9. Hannie Caulder

Hannie Caulder Diva extraordinaire

A couple I know who live here won it several years ago. I think they got $327 million. When they realized they had the winning ticket, they kept it a secret for a month while they figured out what to do. After they finally came forward to claim it, they went into hiding in a motel until the media furor died down.

10. Tvov

Tvov

That sounds like an excellent plan, good for them!

11. D-Ric902

D-Ric902

I would buy anonymity

12. blackjack

blackjack

The jackpot amount is what they will pay in total over whatever the term of the annuity is — 30 years, IIRC. The cash amount they quote is the amount required to purchase the annuity that will pay off the jackpot amount over the term. That cash amount is also available as the lump sum & that’s what you’ll pay taxes on - 39.6% to the feds and some other % to your state.

Paul53 likes this.
  13. Hannie Caulder

Actually it wasn't such a good thing for them. After almost 30 years of marriage they got divorced and the wife bought a big house in Vero Beach. The husband bought a big offshore fishing boat and last I heard was dating a girl in her twenties. He still lives here.

Paul53 and starfish86 like this.
  14. DAKA

DAKA

When it gets that high I usually buy A ticket....we have been playing the Florida "sucker" every week for 22 years...we have NEVER gotten more than a free ticket or $5....
    Here is a tip..........NEVER.......... EVER........PICK A SET OF NUMBERS THAT YOU PLAY EVERY WEEK. Let the "machine" pick...reason....if you have " A "set of numbers and you MISS a week..for sure your numbers will come up and you'll need to find a piece of rope to hang yourself.........
    It seems from what I read, a large number of winners, go broke after a few years, they get carried away and wind up "pissing away" the money
    So,...best to get a Lawyer and an Accountant if you win...then hide out....
    It'd be amazing the number of NEW FRIENDS you'd have.
    We would make a lot of "random gifts" of $1000 or so.....local animal shelters would benefit, a few people that we LIKE would wind up with paid up mortgages or a new car...
    But as I say to one of my friends who always "goes on" a bit, don't count your chickens.........

DREAM ON...........:cheers:

starfish86, Paul53 and Caver 60 like this.
  15. Hannie Caulder

The winning ticket for the couple I know was the same numbers that the wife played all the time. She bought the ticket right here at the Melbourne Beach Publix.

starfish86 and Paul53 like this.
  16. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

Umm, not true. If I buy every possible number combination my chance of winning is 100%. If I buy half of the possible combinations my chance of winning is 50%.

OGW and Just_plinking like this.
  17. DAKA

DAKA

I think I "read somewhere" the odds are a bit better if you let the computer pick.......BUT I may have been mistaken...It happened ONCE

18. Hannie Caulder

I don't think it matters either way. Mathematically your chances are the same. But I do agree with you, if you miss playing your numbers and they win, you will need a padded cell LOL.

19. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

If I won, I guess I'd buy Lindsey Vonn.

Paul53, FullClip and Glockdude1 like this.
  20. DAKA

DAKA

What would buying EVERY possible combo cost...I'm sure one of "US" ******** has figured it out...not that you could "corner the market" anyway