close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Power supply questions

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by m2hmghb, Mar 4, 2006.

1. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Ok I've basicly narrowed the selection of power supplies down to 2 brands. Thermal Take and PC Power and Cooling.

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=T51SLI

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/2005/purepower/w0083/w0083.htm

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/2005/purepower/w00101102/w00101102.htm

For now I'm running an AMD 64x2 4400+ Toledo core, an ATI X1900XT 512mb video card, Soundblaster ZS platinum pro, 10k hard drive, DVDrom and a DVD writer, probably will put a floppy in eventually. The case is a Thermal Take Xaser Armor with 4 case fans. I may want to add an extra fan or two in the future. The motherboard is an ASUS A8N SLI Premium(I couldnt find a crossfire I liked) Any suggestions on which of the power supplies?

Edited: I forgot to add which heat sink would be good for the AMD chip?

2. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

3. Blue59

Blue59

10K hard-drive = Western Digital Raptor (10,000 RPM's, as opposed to 7400 RPMs for most other desktop hard-drives) 74Gb is about $160 now.
    ------
    Expensive but nice.
    ~

4. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

The new Raptor 150gb is 10k rpm and has 16mb of cache and is supposed to be one of the fastest, if not the fastest drives out there, it also sells for around 300 dollars.

5. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

Thanks for the info.

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

m2hmghb,

Thermaltake makes outstanding cases, but they DO NOT make power supplies.

They merely rebrand those cheesy lightweight SuperFlower units and pawn them off using their name.

You DON'T want one of them.

I prefer Antec TruePowers myself, but PC Power & Cooling units are at least as good, if not better. Their prices usually reflect that, too!

So decide what wattage rating you want (430w, 480w 550w ect) and see who offers the best deal.

You'll be very happy with either one, I'm sure.

7. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

is best value.

right now, if you have money, Fortron don't suck.

Active PFC, 550 watt (at least, maybe 600) .. something around 140$ or so.

Antec is good, honest power supply. So's most anybody with active PFC, and you DO want that.

it's not cheap. there's not much competition over 100$.. you gets what you pays for.

if you don't see prices from 125-150 in your range, you're in the wrong range.

8. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

Why exactly would one want active power factor correction on a home computer? Much less demand it?

One can get entirely solid PSUs, even with aPFC for $80-$100. No reason to venture into the $150 range for most people.

All else being equal, you want a PSU with a big 120mm fan on an inside surface. 120s are quieter and generally more reliable.

If you really want into the 500W+ arena (not really needed, but it can't hurt) something like http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=22550 should cover most future needs.

For cooling... what are you looking for? In a normal climate with a stock system, any copper slugged, aluminum cooler is plenty. http://www.coolermaster.com/index.p...e=product&p_serial=CK8-8JD2B-0L&other_title=0 is entirely adequate, and costs $15.

You could go crazy with abig, quiet and effective monster like http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/view.asp?idx=145&code=005 that costs $50+.

If you really wanna get cute, you can pick up a water cooling kit for ~$120.

9. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

HAVOC speaks truth.

In fact, I use that Zalman CNPS7700-Cu in my gaming rig. It's the next best thing to liquid-cooling.

It even helps cool the northbridge chip down; I lost 6C from the NB's idle temp after I installed the thing!

10. Paco255

Paco255

I have a pair of Zalman CNPS9500 heat sinks in my system. They work just as good as the CNPS7700-Cu,

I went with the PC Power and Cooling over the Antec for my system. Have an Antec 550w and a PC Power and Cooling 510-AG that both work in this system but i prefer the PC Power and Cooling.

Don't know if they still offer it but they also used to let you customize the cables on the PS. Was only $45 but that was over a year ago. Its a great way to clean up the inside of your case if you don't plan on making hardware changes that would need longer/shorter/more power cables.

11. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Paco, where did you find room for a pair of these?!?

[​IMG]

Using an old steamer trunk for your PC case or something?!

12. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Well I ordered the power supply and a copy of XP home. Should be here on thursday. I took apart one of our old outdated systems and then put it back together to get a feel for it, wasnt as bad as I had thought it would be. This is going to be my first build so wish me luck.

13. Paco255

Paco255

I have a Lian Li pc76 case. Fits my Tyan S2885 Extended ATX motherboard with dual opterons. The Zalman CNPS9500 take up a little less area than the CNPS7700-Cu. They are taller instead of wider.

14. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Wow, not sure I have seen a thread with so many of my opinions expressed :p

First good luck with your build, you'll be fine ;)

I have to agree with everyone that likes Antec power supplies...and cases for that matter. I also like OCZ if you like that modular cabling stuff...and don't mind paying the extra $$$ for it.

I am not using a Zalman cooler right now but most likely will go with them or Thermalright next time. I really like the look of Thermalright's coolers paired with a nice quiet fan. Here is a pic of one:

http://www.xoxide.com/thermalright-xp-120-cpu-cooler.html