Glock Talk banner

Power Pistol for Glock 21 ( stock barrel )

1494 17
What are you folks using for 230gr FMJs? For years I have used Unique and 231 for my 45s. I acquired some Power Pistol recently, but haven't used it yet. I researched it a good bit, but Power Pistol data is all over the road for the 45 Auto with pretty significant load for load variances in COL.

For those of you with completely stock Glock 21s, what are you using for charge weights? COL?

I want something to consistently give me 875-900fps. The Hornady and Speer manuals are as different as day and night, and much of what I have read in other forums about Power Pistol is just as confusing.

Thanks in advance.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
18,795 Posts
It has been a while since I loaded any, but 8gr of PP under a 230gr FMJ at 1.260" OAL would yield right at 900fps, from my G21, a good service round simulator, notwithstanding the wow finish (lots of flash).

· Banned
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has been a while since I loaded any, but 8gr of PP under a 230gr FMJ at 1.260" OAL would yield right at 900fps, from my G21, a good service round simulator, notwithstanding the wow finish (lots of flash).
Thank you, Willy. I think I'll probably start out at 7.7grs using that same 1.26" for the OAL and work it up from there. Did you have any feeding issues with 1.26"?

· Registered
18,795 Posts
Thank you, Willy. I think I'll probably start out at 7.7grs using that same 1.26" for the OAL and work it up from there. Did you have any feeding issues with 1.26"?
No, I never have feeding issues with my trusty G21. I even had some plated SWC's that I had miserable luck with every other 45 Auto gun I own. I finally shot them up with my G21. She is ugly, but that gun just runs and runs.

· Registered
2,316 Posts
What are you folks using for 230gr FMJs? For years I have used Unique and 231 for my 45s. I acquired some Power Pistol recently, but haven't used it yet. I researched it a good bit, but Power Pistol data is all over the road for the 45 Auto with pretty significant load for load variances in COL.
For those of you with completely stock Glock 21s, what are you using for charge weights? COL?
I want something to consistently give me 875-900fps. The Hornady and Speer manuals are as different as day and night, and much of what I have read in other forums about Power Pistol is just as confusing.
Thanks in advance.
I'll be happy to give you what I have;

I consider Powder Pistol to be on the edge of the fast to medium burning powders, so what does that translate into? With the .45 ACP, I have found this powder gives me the best results using 230g JHP bullets. Now 230g FMJ bullets will work, but I did not get the same level of accuracy out of them... not sure just the way my tests came out so I will not list that data.

Power Pistol will easily give you an accurate round out to 25 yards, the trade out is in the "felt recoil".

Bullet - 230g XTP HP (Hornady)
Primer - Federal Large Pistol Primer #150
Powder - Alliant Power Pistol @ 6.9g (best over-all load)
Powder range - 5.5g up to 7.1g (Hornady Reloading Manual 9th Edition)
OAL - 1.230"
Velocity - 845 fps
Test gun - Glock G21 w/4.60" barrel

I tested 7.1g up to 7.3g - accuracy was still very good but the recoil was not really that much fun to shoot!

Velocity I achieved
6.9g - 845 fps
7.1g - 870 fps
7.3g - 898 fps

Just a side note, I tested 3 230g FMJ factory loads (Federal, Remington & Winchester), the average velocity was 814.5 fps. I tested 2 230g XTP & XTP +P loads (both Hornady), the average velociyt was 887.6 fps. Hornady's manual lists MAX charge of 7.1g @ 900 fps out of a 5" barrel.

Just some data & food for thought when you are trying to achieve that kind of velocity using PP.

Good luck and be safe out there.

· Banned
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Power Pistol is a whole new thing for me. A few months ago I found a hell of a deal on it and couldn't pass it up.

I've been at the reloading game since 1997, and I am always amazed at how much more there is to learn.

Willy and Kent, I thank you both!

· Registered
1,421 Posts
I got back into reloading a year or so ago. PP was the only powder I could find. I'd used BE and Unique before.

I've loaded a bunch of 230 grain FMJ very close to the loads WeeWilly suggests. Work well in Glock 21, Glock 36 and a whole bunch of 1911's.

I've also loaded LRN with PP. I'll look and see if I can find that load data.

Lots of flash and smoke but no problems.

· Banned
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll be happy to give you what I have;

I consider Powder Pistol to be on the edge of the fast to medium burning powders, so what does that translate into? With the .45 ACP, I have found this powder gives me the best results using 230g JHP bullets. Now 230g FMJ bullets will work, but I did not get the same level of accuracy out of them... not sure just the way my tests came out so I will not list that data.

Power Pistol will easily give you an accurate round out to 25 yards, the trade out is in the "felt recoil".

Bullet - 230g XTP HP (Hornady)
Primer - Federal Large Pistol Primer #150
Powder - Alliant Power Pistol @ 6.9g (best over-all load)
Powder range - 5.5g up to 7.1g (Hornady Reloading Manual 9th Edition)
OAL - 1.230"
Velocity - 845 fps
Test gun - Glock G21 w/4.60" barrel

I tested 7.1g up to 7.3g - accuracy was still very good but the recoil was not really that much fun to shoot!

Velocity I achieved
6.9g - 845 fps
7.1g - 870 fps
7.3g - 898 fps

Just a side note, I tested 3 230g FMJ factory loads (Federal, Remington & Winchester), the average velocity was 814.5 fps. I tested 2 230g XTP & XTP +P loads (both Hornady), the average velociyt was 887.6 fps. Hornady's manual lists MAX charge of 7.1g @ 900 fps out of a 5" barrel.

Just some data & food for thought when you are trying to achieve that kind of velocity using PP.

Good luck and be safe out there.
Hey, Kent. I loaded some up today. I went with 7.2grs of Power Pistol, and used Federal Large Pistol Match primers. OAL used was 1.26". Now I am thinking I may have screwed up by not seating to 1.23" OAL. I am hoping it won't make too much of a difference. Bullets loaded were Remington 230gr FMJ.

Now all I need is a chance to get to the range!

· Registered
2,285 Posts

Thanks in advance.
My results for Power Pistol:

230 gr PD FMJ
6.8 gr PP
CCI SPP
COAL 1.258
864 FPS

· Banned
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My results for Power Pistol:

230 gr PD FMJ
6.8 gr PP
CCI SPP
COAL 1.258
864 FPS
Thank you, Kwesi. I won't know until I get to the range, but I loaded with 7.2grs of Power Pistol and a 1.26 COAL. What sort of spooks me about Power Pistol is the data for it is all over the road. I think part of the problem is the reload manuals show different OALs.

Speer goes with 1.26". Hornady, depending on the year, goes with 1.23" or 1.1" ( for min spec chambers)...for 230gr FMJs.

You get to a point where you just don't know what to believe. Speer data shows 8.1grs with an OAL of 1.26" delivering 900 fps. I have read numerous postings of people on different forums reaching 900 fps with 7.2-7.4 grs with the same OAL. That's one hell of a discrepancy...and these are people shooting G21s. There shouldn't be THAT much variation.

Now I am wondering if I just don't need to pull what I loaded and start all over.

· Registered
1,421 Posts
Thank you, Kwesi. I won't know until I get to the range, but I loaded with 7.2grs of Power Pistol and a 1.26 COAL. What sort of spooks me about Power Pistol is the data for it is all over the road. I think part of the problem is the reload manuals show different OALs.

Speer goes with 1.26". Hornady, depending on the year, goes with 1.23" or 1.1" ( for min spec chambers)...for 230gr FMJs.

You get to a point where you just don't know what to believe. Speer data shows 8.1grs with an OAL of 1.26" delivering 900 fps. I have read numerous postings of people on different forums reaching 900 fps with 7.2-7.4 grs with the same OAL. That's one hell of a discrepancy...and these are people shooting G21s. There shouldn't be THAT much variation.

Now I am wondering if I just don't need to pull what I loaded and start all over.
I wouldn't pull them unless you think they're dangerous.

Shoot them. Different guns if you have them and see how they feel. Look for flattened primers, etc.

You can also email Alliant powder company. I have and they've always responded.

· Banned
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't pull them unless you think they're dangerous.

Shoot them. Different guns if you have them and see hoe they feel. Look for flattened primers, etc.

You can also email Alliant powder company. I have and they've always responded.
Thanks, MSW. I will try them when I can get to the range. The brass I used was only once fired factory PMC, and I inspected it very carefully, so I am not worried about a kaboom. We gotta watch that when we reload for our Glocks!

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks to everyone for their input.

· Registered
18,795 Posts
At 7.2gr, I think you could run the OAL pretty much anywhere you wanted and not be risking anything pressure wise. PP is fairly slow and the 45 Auto case pretty big volume wise, so OAL isn't going to make as big an impact. You could seat some of the longer ones a little deeper before you go (might screw up accuracy a little). I would be surprised if you could note much of a difference in velocity between the ones at 1.260" and the ones at 1.230". You are really at start load levels.

Anyway, good luck, have fun.

· Registered
2,316 Posts
Hey, Kent. I loaded some up today. I went with 7.2grs of Power Pistol, and used Federal Large Pistol Match primers. OAL used was 1.26". Now I am thinking I may have screwed up by not seating to 1.23" OAL. I am hoping it won't make too much of a difference. Bullets loaded were Remington 230gr FMJ.
Now all I need is a chance to get to the range!
Michael,
Hornady's factory ammo is set at OAL 1.230" the same is listed in their manual (8th edition). Max OAL is listed at 1.270" so at 1.260" you will be fine as long as they chamber properly - which in your Glock should not be a problem.

The only thing you are doing be loading them a bit longer (OAL) is reducing the pressure/velocity just a bit and when loading at the top end of the listed charge weight amount, might be a prudent thing. My experiment with loading max and a notch above listed max amount produce a round that would fire, hit the target, but man the kick will really get your attention - not recommended.

Good luck and be safe out there

· Registered
2,285 Posts
BTW: this is the load I ended going with primarily because I loaded it also for a buddy shooting a full auto Mac-10:

6.6 gr PP
230 gr PD FMJ
COAL 1.260
CCI SPP
835 FPS

NOTE: all were chrono'd in Florida in hot humid weather.

· Registered
2,316 Posts
BTW: this is the load I ended going with primarily because I loaded it also for a buddy shooting a full auto Mac-10:
6.6 gr PP
230 gr PD FMJ
COAL 1.260
CCI SPP
835 FPS
NOTE: all were chrono'd in Florida in hot humid weather.
Almost exactly the velocity I came up with using similar load w/Power Pistol. Very nice, thanks for posting.

· Banned
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright guys. Thanks to everyone for their input, it was definitely much appreciated.

I finally made it to the range today with the batch I loaded up a couple weeks ago., using 7.2grs Power Pistol and OAL of 1.26. The only deviation from my plan was I shot them in my G41 instead of my G21 as originally intended.

Impressions. That load felt somewhat more powerful in the recoil department than the factory PMC 230gr stuff I had to compare it to. Not really that much more recoil, but enough to notice a difference. Spent primers all looked fine, and the brass was none the worse for wear.

I will say this, that particular load ( at least in my particular gun ) was incredibly accurate. From a rest at 20 yards, I was lobbing them into a group you could have covered with the bottom of a coffee cup. I was very pleased!

I think I will keep that load as is and not load any hotter. I think it would be safe to do, but pointless. As well as that load shot, I cannot ask for anything more. It was a great range day! Thanks again to everyone!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.