close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

power outages and pets hmmmm

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by hangmans joke, Sep 18, 2004.

1. hangmans joke

hangmans joke

i was talking to friend of mine and this topic came up. it kinda got me wondering ,lol. whenever the power goes out during storms or whatnot why do pets like kinda freak out ??
    i mean we have 2 chihuahuas in home and they get to acting weird and really nervous and just like theyre zooted,lol/ i have asked some friends and other pet owners and most of theirs do the same thing. weird that you can cut off all lights in house and go to bed theyre fine, but if power goes out and go to bed they wig out;g ;g

anyone got any answers ?

hj

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

There is a hum from the electricity that we don't pay attention to during our daily lives. Notice how QUIET that it is when the power is out? I am betting that the whiskers feel so funny when the hum isn't there for cats. Dogs probably are overwhelmed by the quiet.

That is just my guess anyway :)

3. hangmans joke

hangmans joke

miss kitty ,good answer , never actually thought of the elctro vibe . the dogs are only ones to act like that during outages so i dunno, the rehabbed wildlife out in the building dont react like that, im gonna do some research. lol.

btw miss kitty , your always in my prayers .

hj

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Thanks hj!

BTW, we have a Critter Corner now too :)

5. io333

io333

Having lived with and raised dogs most of my life, I have an opinion:

They pay most attention to *us*. They start acting weird, because *we* start acting weird. We might not be able to notice our subtle weirdnesses in ourselves, but it's plainly obvious to our dogs.

My dog really does know what I'm thinking even before I'm conscious of it. My body language gives me away before my brain gets around to realizing what I'm about to do.

Maybe that sounds odd, but I'll be other's here can attest to the same thing.

Cats? I have no idea. I've heard they don't taste very good.

6. WolfmanGK

WolfmanGK Super Plump

7. Zak3056

Zak3056 NRA Life Member

Just what I was about to say.

8. hangmans joke

hangmans joke

rofl ;z .its an nc word i hear time to time, kinda like when folks have to much to drink. its another word for being high, intoxicated, weird

9. B. Somm

B. Somm Lady B/Team OAF CLM Millennium Member

Hmmmm....could also be the fact that the loud thunder clap right after the lighting flash that caused the power to go out to begin with, spooked 'em!

It is rather unnerving when that happens, even for me, as it happens in...well...a flash....er, I mean rather quickly!

B. ;g
    (who hates it when that happens, 'casue then I gotta reset some of the clocks! And since it doesn't storm much in AZ, by the time it does storm, I've forgotten how to reset the darn things!)

10. duckslayer79

duckslayer79

Hey hj;f;f

I cant speak for all critters, but I know my wifes Doberman and my mutt can sense the nervousness in our voices and or actions. You may not notice or think you are acting different, but they can tell. Now my Wiemeriner, is an exception to the rule. That freggin dog throws a shet fit and hides, when cars drive by that are loud.;Q

Take Care
    "duck"

11. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

My cats thought the last outage was great. They took naps and ate cat food. ;f

12. Eddie C.

Eddie C. Administrator Moderator CLM

13. elsolo

elsolo

I think my pythons start to get cold, when their heaters quit working.

14. Eddie C.

I have three dogs, a Yellow Lab (8 years old), a Basset Hound (4 years old), and a Basset Hound (2 years old). The 4 year old Basset is half the size of the 2 year old, 41 pounds vs. 75 pounds.

The 4 year old shakes like a leaf when there is any thunder and lightning. She also does the same when there are people outside shooting off fireworks.

I made the mistake of taking her to the Memorial Day Parade and the Soldiers shooting off the guns about killed her.;P

I went to the veterinarians last week with the storms coming through and got her some doggie valiums. They gave me 2 10mg. tabs and 2 25mg. tabs. They said to give her one of each an hour before the thunderstorm.;P

How the hell do you know an hour ahead of time that there is going to be a thunderstorm? I hate to waste these four pills, they cost me $10.00.;G ^4 ;5 ;T

15. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Eddie,
    Dayum - a 25 AND a 10?!?!?

1/2 of a 25 would knock the pins out from under my 150lb Rottie for the whole day.

You might want to have a long talk with your dog about how he developed such a high drug tolerance. Perhaps he is hanging out with the wrong crowd at school??;P ;)

16. Eddie C.

You think so?;P I really don't know. I haven't given any to her yet. Maybe I ought to give her just one at first.......the 10mg. tab?

I don't want her looking like--->;9

17. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

I would start slow. You can always up the dose, but you can't go back if you give too much.

18. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Eddie, run this by your vet, but this is what I would do ...

Give him 1/2 of the 25. Wait 30 minutes. If he needs more, give him the 10 (or maybe even 1/2 of the 10).

19. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

An hour before a thunderstorm ;T ^8 ^b