close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Power failure.......now PC is dead....

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ERASER, Aug 3, 2006.

1. ERASER

ERASER Nyuk,Nyuk,Nyuk!

Well, the general area around my workplace suffered a short power failure during a recent thunderstorm. Nothing in the building suffered any damage or had any problems..............except, of course, MY computer! The computer doesn't do anything when I try to power it up. No blinking lights, no nothin'.

Do any of you have any suggestions on how I can trouble-shoot the problem? For example, how to tell if the power supply died? (If the motherboard, etc. took a hit, would the power supply be allowed to output power?).

The computer is an old HP Pavilion with a 500Mz Celeron.

Thanks!

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

You most likely will need a new power supply to get it running.

But, after $75+ for that proprietary part from HP (if you can't find a replacement locally) and paying for the installation, you are looking at spending $100 or more on that machine.

A machine, I might add, that wouldn't bring $20 at a garage sale.

I'd dump it and get a cheap OEM replacement (it IS a work PC).

To test the PSU, a paperclip is needed. Insert it into pins holes #13 and #14, which are usually green and black. IF THEY AREN'T, STOP. A proprietary PSU is one of the biggest banes of OEM PC's, but they are altogether too common.

If they are, plug the PSU in and see if the fan(s) spin. I'm guessing they won't.

Sounds like someone coulda used a UPS...
    [​IMG]

The cheapest, and best, insurance your PC can have.

Good luck.

3. ERASER

ERASER Nyuk,Nyuk,Nyuk!

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

As far as the UPS....well, since the owner is behind on a LOT of his bills (often including payroll and medical) I'm not gonna hold my breath for a new PC or even the money for a UPS!

4. malkore

malkore

Off topic...I worked for a guy like that. bounced paychecks, no medical insurance coverage after visiting the doctor....missed payroll completely.

I bailed as soon as I could find a new job.

Now that jerk is running for Governor of Nebraska: David Hahn.

:upeyes:

5. tmoncmm

tmoncmm

I agree that the power supply is probably the problem, but don't go to HP to get it. Depending on the model it is probably either an ATX or microATX Power supply. Both are standard types and both should be available for a relativly small price at a computer store in your area. I can't speek for your local market, but I sell them for $40.00. I can't see you spending much more than that.

6. tmoncmm

tmoncmm

I also agree that a good quality UPS (APC brand) is a good way to prevent this in the future.

7. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Tmon, the problem with that is his HP...most of them, particularly the older models, did not use a standard ATX PSU.

Instead, they are odd-sized and have the screwholes in the wrong places. They CAN be shoehorned in, most times, but many models don't even adhere to the ATX standard.

That's why I would suggest a new P4 machine for $350 rather than spending $100 or more to renovate a worthless dinosaur.

It would be on par with spending $5,000 to overhaul a Yugo.