close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Power appears on, but nothin on the monitor

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by IndyGunFreak, May 27, 2006.

1. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

This sounds like a video card prob to me, but I'm not sure.

My sis-in law, who lives in BFE, is reporting her PC, turns on, runs, etc, but nothing on the monitor. She says fans are running, lights on, etc. The monitor is kinda old(a 4-5yr old 17in compaq).

I think its the video card, how can I check if its the Monitor or Video card, w/o dragging another monitor out there?

IGF

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Simple.

Drag another vid card out there.

If that doesn't help matters, then the problem is most likely with the monitor.

No easy fix here unless you get lucky and the VC just needs reseated...which really is fairly likely.

Try reseating the old card first (unless it is an onboard solution), then test with the known-good monitor, then try the new vid card.

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Ah, and I even have a spare, known good Video card laying around. I dont' know why I didn't think of that.

The possibility its loose, I guess is there, but the PC has been stationary for quite some time, but who knows. I think its gonna be a bad monitor or video card.

IGF

4. prism

prism more ammo

check the monitor power cord

5. malkore

malkore

most monitors will stay in sleep mode if there's not data being sent from the video card. but, if you unplug the VGA cord from the video card, the monitor should revert to 'detect mode' and should ***** about 'check monitor cable and power cord'.

if she gets a message like that when the VGA cable is unplugged, and then it goes right back into sleep mode when plugged back in, the video card is toast.

This of course is assuming that even when rebooting the computer, it won't wake up the monitor and display the BIOS screen.

If the BIOS boot is visible, but Windows is not, its probably a driver issue.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I just found out today(I'm gonna try to go out there this weekend), apparently she had another monitor around the house(unknown to me), and tried it, and it didn't come up either.

She also informed me that she turned on the PC the other day, and the screen got to Windows, but was all black and white for about 15sec, then went out again.

I'm almost certain its the video card.

We'll see..

IGF

7. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Pull the other cards out of the system. Then power up the PC, see if it shows the power on post data on the screen.

Just remember where the other cards go back in! ;)