Powderpuff .40 S&W reloading

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by firefighter4215, Jan 29, 2010.

Tags:
  1. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

Hey guys. I have a G22 that my wife doesn't particularly like to shoot because of the snappiness. I was thinking about getting into reloading anyway, and thought this would be a good problem to solve with reloading. Does anyone have any experience loading "light" loads for the .40 S&W? They're obviously only going to be used for target shooting.

Thanks in advance!

2. tjpet

tjpet

3.8grns. WST w/180grn. bullet of your choice. Super accurate, clean burning, and very low recoiling your wife will love it.

3. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

My experience loading "light" with 9mm resulted in extremely inaccurate groupings. It seems like if the load isn't close to full power (say 130PF or so)... accuracy really suffers.

I haven't loaded .40, so I can only assume the same thing might happen for you?

Of course, if you're just wanting to "pop caps" and not worry about where your bullet is going, then loading light is fine. As long as it cycles your slide... you could shoot it.

4. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

I was thinking a lighter bullet might produce even less recoil. Any thoughts on that?

5. cbsaf

cbsaf

I thought a heavier (slower) bullet and less powder was optimal for low recoil. Isn't that the reason 125gr .357 magnum rounds are snappier than 158gr?

6. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I have shot some very light shooting G35's. They combine a heavy bullet and really slow speed. They seemed accuarte enough, He normally beats me at a match as well. It just one of those things you have to work up and make work in your gun. You will need a lighter recoil spring.

7. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

My wife liked this load out of my G22:

OAL= 1.130
    Rainier 165gr FP
    4.7gr Solo 1,000
    CCI SP Primers
    Mixed Once Fired Brass

8. garyjandfamily

garyjandfamily

Take a look at this article:

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/40lite_091806/

I've used it as a jumping-off point for several different loads...

9. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

+1 on the article; you can find some great info there.

FWIW my wife shoots a .40S&W in competition and the load for that pistol is:
    2.6gr of Clays behind a 180gr Two Alpha TC bullet. OAL is 1.125" with a crimp of 0.421". This loads makes 128 PF out of an S&W M&P and produces 2" groups from a bench at 25yds. It may not be a bullseye load but the feel of recoil impulse makes up for this.

I should also add that this load operates the recoil spring on her pistol 100%

10. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I guess I just had my logic backwards on the weight of the bullets considering the "equal and opposite reaction" rule. Either way I appreciate the help, and maybe with a little experimentation shooting will be more enjoyable for her now.

11. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

Been shootting 4.4 AA2 and lead 180tc out of my Glock 22 and 23 and it is accurate and light recoiling. and functions 100% in them.

12. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

13. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

My IDPA / IPSC minor load is 3.0 of Clays behind a 180 grain bullet super soft shooting. I tried 3 different bullet weights w/ 6 different powders when developing this load. Now it seems many are using this combo (my tests were before .40 minor became popular).

14. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Going too low with s jacketed or plated bullet can lead to a KB. The higher friction means a bullet can get stuck in the bore. I don't know where that point is and I don't want to find out.

Use a lead bullet. Cheaper, safer, and probably more accurate. I read the 40lite article and tried 3.2 Bullseye with a 180LFP. It works great in my Beretta 96 with a heavier than stock recoil spring and my Glock 27. I have shot a few hundred of these and they are very accurate. The recoil and blast are much lighter than regualr loads. They are not as light as a 9mm though despite what the article says. Part of the equation is blast and the 40 has less blast with these loads but still more than a 9mm with a light loaded 115.

I loaded 25 with 3.0 Bullseye and I expect them to work fine but I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet. The brass is real easy to find too. It ends up in a nice neat pile about 6 feet away.

15. MarkTX

MarkTX

3.6gr Titegroup behind a 180 Prec.Delta FMJ is my goto load for playing IDPA with my G35/G22. This load is a dream to shoot but still functions fine in my G22 with stock recoil spring.

That load even feels softer than the 147gr 9mm loads I use for the same venue. Its kinda crazy how soft 40S&W feels when only required to make 125pf (and the load above actually is in the 130-135pf range out of my G35).

16. dudel

dudel

My experience has been just the opposite. Just goes to show that each gun is different.

I use light loads of Bullseye with Berry's 115gr or 124gr and they shoot great in my G17 and G26. Or Lee TC 124 gr boolits in the G17 with a LW pipe. Terrific plinking loads for hitting cans, hard drives, etc.

Of course if you are shooting at mosquitos, they could be terribly inaccurate.

17. tlafrance

tlafrance Missing AZ

I've been using a 200gr BillyBullet with 3.5gr of W231 for years. I forget what the velocity is but it takes down steel like the fist of an angry god!

Tom

18. dsmw5142

dsmw5142 NRA Member

165gr Ranier RNFP with 4.5gr of Unique... 1.130 OAL... very accurate and soft shooting for target practice.

19. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Your talking SQUIB right??? A KB is a over pressurized case, which in most cases ruptures...
    Regarding your statment about higher friction for FMJ or plated... is that why you LUBE lead bullets??? :whistling:

20. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

When you stick a bullet in the barrel because it was jacketed and underloaded and then run one right behind it, what would YOU call it? You really ought to have some idea of why Speer doesn't list jacketed 158 loads for 38spl anymore and why the US military uses a 130 grain bullet for it's jacketed loadings. I know why already so I'm not worried about it.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot :whistling: