Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
woo woo
31,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it OK to powdercoat heat-treated (T6) 6061 aluminum?

I get mixed answers, the powdercoating outfits all seem to think it's fine, metallurgist types say the curing process will overage the aluminum and weaken it.

Anyone know?

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
I'm no expert, but I thought powder coating didn't require enough heat to affect any metal's properties.

·
Scouts Out
23,815 Posts
They do this to bike frames and aero bars. Those are 6061 AL. Common suggestion is to find an aircraft paint place that does it because it can be touchy and if it's not done right you do screw the tempering of the AL.

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
I heard it depends on the powders used, but typical is 350-400 degrees....though, for a short period.
That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't think aluminum would be affected at those temps, but I've been wrong many times before. :supergrin:

·
woo woo
31,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They do this to bike frames and aero bars. Those are 6061 AL. Common suggestion is to find an aircraft paint place that does it because it can be touchy and if it's not done right you do screw the tempering of the AL.

Exactly. I have a frame being done.:supergrin:

·
Scouts Out
23,815 Posts
Exactly. I have a frame being done.:supergrin:
Have 'em show you AL they've done. Apparently you can get catastrophic failure if it's done wrong.

That said, most of the aero bars are powder coated nowadays so it's not as rare as it once was.

·
Scouts Out
23,815 Posts
Just heat it up, cover it with powder again and bake it - I don't think they can tell - this is how I passed shop class.
No, I was saying to have them show some samples so he can see they've done it and not just trying out something new on a bike frame that can have serious consequences at 30 MPH or so.

·
Registered
227 Posts
LOL I was seriously confessing how I passed shop class
So if you give a S i made a little wire dinosoaur brazed together but he needed a little beefing up so I powder coated him but left him in the oven much too long the first time - another dip in the powder coat box and a little bake put a really nic blue on my brontosauarus

1 - 12 of 12 Posts