Glock Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,230 Posts
Depends on where and how much also. If I can reuse it? On the press can air. Bench chip brush into garbage can. If small amount on floor vacuum cleaner that I can not sweep up if alot, rubber mat and carpet floor.
If I had hard floors I would just sweep it up and put in the garbage or on lawn. It's not black powder.

10,230 Posts
A vacuum should never be used to clean up powder!!!
For me it’s maybe 4 grains of powder spread over the floor that in no way that I know of in how to get the power out of the carpet other than a vacuum. Now live primers are interesting when you vacuum them up at times. Put have not had a fire doing so in over 50 years of doing it. The powder is only going to burn not explode. It's why I vacuum my reloading room and not the wife. I’m also not vacuuming a large volume of powder at any given time.
This Is what I do, If it bothers anyone then don’t do it.

10,230 Posts
Has anyone tried one of those bearing kits on an RL550? I find the shell plate sticking occasionally, and then if not careful, when it finally moves, it can bump some powder out of the case as it moves from station 2 to 3. I suspect the proper fix is to just remove the shell plate a little more often and clean it and the top of the ram.
I have them both on the 650 and 450 also spring and ball.

Reactions: Glocker Perry

10,230 Posts
I don't do that either. I've tried it, and find it awkward. Also, when loading coated bullets, I think it'd be a bad idea. Those need to be seated relatively straight, and the same bump that can knock powder out of the case I suspect could affect how the bullet sits.
https://www.doublealpha.biz/mr-bulletfeeder-powder-funnel
These really help. Also along with the Redding competition bullet seating die

10,230 Posts
Vacuum has an electric motor. Must have sparks and flashing going on somewhere in the machine. If a grain of powder gets by the foam filter- go boom. Same for vacuum and gasoline. Probably not a good idea to reload around carpeting. Tile floor or cement seems safer. I like the tape idea.
Put one or two grains of smokeless powder in a ashtray. Light a match and put it on top of the pile. Don’t worry it is not going to explode. When it finally starts burning it looks like sparklers you use on the 4th of July.

10,230 Posts
Smokeless powder does not explode it burns. Primers and black powder on the other hand are explosives. Those are not a good Idea to vacuum up. And can be set off with static electricity.
Gasoline and smokeless powder are two different things.

10,230 Posts
Bob - Going to the Dawsonville match this month?
Nope this year is slim shooting. Pryor, maybe Talladega depending on the rest of the guys. And Mobile. Wife had two perminiet teeth put in, not cheap, Need a new roof, insurance reason, and wife wants tile in living room and dinning room. Short on funds. Thanks to Capital one the three hotel stays will not cost me anything for Pryor.

10,230 Posts
We have a Hoover Wind tunnel vacuum that has a clear plastic container. Like I said I’m only vacuuming up a very small amount of powder. But before I vacuum in the reloading room I empty the container out of mostly dog hair. So if I did suck up a live primer and it went off there would be a very small amount of powder in the container for any type of fire, it is not going to explode.. If we had a vacuum with a paper bag. I would find another way of picking up the powder just in case it would set the bag on fire. The bad part would be if just smoldered and it not being noticed after putting up the vacuum it then really caught on fire.
I don’t really think you are going to read in any reloading manual to use a vacuum to pickup spilled smokeless powder.

Reactions: Gary W

10,230 Posts
Does mixing electricity and gunpowder make you nervous, too?
Nope, the small amount of powder if it did ignite is only going to burn it is not going to explode. Firecrackers scare me more than vacuuming up a small amount of powder. And I’m use to dealing with real explosives for 25 years in the AF.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.