Glock Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's been a while since I've posted to this forum and at that time I was just getting my Dillon XL650 set up. In the mean time I picked up a Dillon RL 550b also. I have the 650 set for 9mm and the 550 for 45acp I love them both they both work smooth with no hiccups, except when I mess up, ha.

Now that brings me to a question, what do all of you do for powder spills? I know none of you have ever done that so this only apples to me. Do you use a vacuum, compressor (blowing it every where) or?

Gary W

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great idea the spi
Depends how much has spilled, what it spilled onto, and how clean that surface was before the spill. If the surface was clean to begin with, and I'm able to, I'll reuse the powder. If not, I keep a roll of clear plastic packing tape in the reloading bench to be used to pick up powder spills, after which I just put the tape in the garbage.
All was small and onto the press itself so I used a vacuum but not sure if that's a good idea or not. Hard to get all of it without it or compressor without taking every thing apart.
Gary w

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks that is what I've been doing guess I just wanted assurance.
Gary W

For me it’s maybe 4 grains of powder spread over the floor that in no way that I know of in how to get the power out of the carpet other than a vacuum. Now live primers are interesting when you vacuum them up at times. Put have not had a fire doing so in over 50 years of doing it. The powder is only going to burn not explode. It's why I vacuum my reloading room and not the wife. I’m also not vacuuming a large volume of powder at any given time.
This Is what I do, If it bothers anyone then don’t do it.

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks good advice
If you are using a bag type vacuum and work with small volumes of powder and dont pick days of low humidity you probably will have no issues. I keep fire extinguishers in several places around the house, but thats never a bad idea. Carpeting compounds the issue but getting the bulk of it out is a good idea. Ive never seen any problems in doing this. Be sure to empty the darn vacuum promptly. A dusting of graphite would be good insurance against static electric.

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I appreciate all the input very helpful. "A torch, bucket of water & a fire extinguisher should do it, ha just kidding"

Thanks again, I'll end this thread here.:flamingdrpep::drillsgt:

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Sorry, late to the party.

I use one of those Black and Decker Mighty Mites. Just be sure you don't have any live primers around where the vacuum is cleaning as they can ignite when picked up with the vacuum and with powder in the bag, well, you get the idea.

BTW, the above is not recommend by any reloading authority I have ever read, so if you decide to do it, you are in your own. ;)
Thanks, Ive decided to use a vacuum. It seems to be the only way to truly clean the powder up without taking the shell plate off and thats a pain. Being new to the loading and to the Dillon presses I've had a few spills, Mostly not getting the primer seated by forgetting to push the handle forward, But I'm better at paying attention after cleaning up the messes, I'm a slow learner ha.

Thanks for the tip,
Gary W.

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Make sure you dutifully remove the buttons before vacuuming, digging them out of the bag is a pain. ;)
Your to late, Ha! I found out the hard way and I had half a tank full of dirt and whatever. I'll dump the tank first from now on and try to remember to pull the buttons.

I'm still laughing!
Gary W

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
If it only happens once, you will be way ahead of me. It is amazing how hard that little B&D pulls. ;)
I'm tow times so far but I'm sure there will be more.

Have a great day. Oh ya I shot my first loads yesterday both 45acp 230gr FMJ with 8.1grs of HS6 & 9mm 125gr JHP with 6.4grs of HS6 and they all ran smooth as butter shooting Springfield XD tactical & Glock 19 gen4. 100 rounds of each. Good day at the range.

Gary W

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I very rarely loose my stuff, thanks to some voluntary OCD. When I didn't find them on the floor I was really baffled. Only when you guys brought up this topic it 'clicked'. Now I remember vacuuming the shell plate after the last session.

Some even spend 5 minutes looking for that one primer that escaped sudden death. :crazy:

And when it finds its way into the vac we are ready for the girly dance, if it manages to go off.

:supergrin:
I just went out and dumped my powder out of the measurer and had to smile when I thought of this. I even looked to see if my pins were still there as I was cleaning up.

I'm going in for surgery on my rotator. Cuff on Wednesday and won't be doing any loading or shooting for a while. Left handed just doesn't work for me ha!

Gary W.

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
T
I feel for you.

Last winter I fell twice slipping on ice, both times I landed on the same elbow/forearm in the exact same place (the second one my arm was already in a sling!). I really did a job on my rotator cuff. As I rolled around writhing in pain, yelling out, "I can't f'ing believe it, the same shoulder!!!", my wife who is a pretty empathetic person by nature couldn't stifle a snicker, which then got me laughing out loud as well. Someone walked by and wouldn't look at the two wacko's laughing about falling on ice on a bum shoulder.

I was lucky and after some healing, went through about 4-5 months of physical therapy, I learned all about the "painful arc" in those sessions. Thankfully, I am back to a full range of motion. I still have a "pop" when traveling through the painful arc, but it doesn't hurt any longer, so I am calling it good. :)
Thats what did mine in I fell 3- times on the ice. Hey I live in North Idaho we always have ice and snow where are you from.

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I am down south, north west of Boise. I got some cleats for this year, all geared up and almost no ice.. :)
I've been to Boise numerous times. I was a land surveyor by trade and was on the state surveyors board for three years. I'm retired now so got into reloading for something to do.
Glad your healing up.

Gary W.

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
We bought some land in Boise, which we will be building on, once we have the house design completed. I love where we are at, but my wife spends a lot of time going back and forth to town for shopping, yoga, etc., so "we" decided being closer in will be better. We bought a chunk of land that was actually three lots and we are in the process of doing some lot line adjustments so we have the lot we want, then will sell the other two, so I know all about surveying. ;)
Who is the surveyor you used?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.