Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's been a while since I've posted to this forum and at that time I was just getting my Dillon XL650 set up. In the mean time I picked up a Dillon RL 550b also. I have the 650 set for 9mm and the 550 for 45acp I love them both they both work smooth with no hiccups, except when I mess up, ha.

Now that brings me to a question, what do all of you do for powder spills? I know none of you have ever done that so this only apples to me. Do you use a vacuum, compressor (blowing it every where) or?

Gary W

·
Crusty Member
10,956 Posts
Depends how much has spilled, what it spilled onto, and how clean that surface was before the spill. If the surface was clean to begin with, and I'm able to, I'll reuse the powder. If not, I keep a roll of clear plastic packing tape in the reloading bench to be used to pick up powder spills, after which I just put the tape in the garbage.

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
I use a dustpan and a whisk broom. Then throw it out in the garden as fertilizer. I don't spill much anyways.

A big funnel is good; as long as it has a large opening so the powder doesn't back up. A funnel that get's used for oil changes works great. Don't use the bitty funnel you use for filling cases; it will backup in a second on you.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,194 Posts
Depends on where and how much also. If I can reuse it? On the press can air. Bench chip brush into garbage can. If small amount on floor vacuum cleaner that I can not sweep up if alot, rubber mat and carpet floor.
If I had hard floors I would just sweep it up and put in the garbage or on lawn. It's not black powder.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I use a Ryobi One + Tuff Sucker wet/dry hand vacuum, its battery operated and has attachments to get into smaller places.

I figured with the wet /dry feature it shouldn't be a problem with powder as if water can't get to the motor, powder shouldn't be able to either.

Reactions: Gary W

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,194 Posts
A vacuum should never be used to clean up powder!!!
For me it’s maybe 4 grains of powder spread over the floor that in no way that I know of in how to get the power out of the carpet other than a vacuum. Now live primers are interesting when you vacuum them up at times. Put have not had a fire doing so in over 50 years of doing it. The powder is only going to burn not explode. It's why I vacuum my reloading room and not the wife. I’m also not vacuuming a large volume of powder at any given time.
This Is what I do, If it bothers anyone then don’t do it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great idea the spi
Depends how much has spilled, what it spilled onto, and how clean that surface was before the spill. If the surface was clean to begin with, and I'm able to, I'll reuse the powder. If not, I keep a roll of clear plastic packing tape in the reloading bench to be used to pick up powder spills, after which I just put the tape in the garbage.
All was small and onto the press itself so I used a vacuum but not sure if that's a good idea or not. Hard to get all of it without it or compressor without taking every thing apart.
Gary w

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks that is what I've been doing guess I just wanted assurance.
Gary W

For me it’s maybe 4 grains of powder spread over the floor that in no way that I know of in how to get the power out of the carpet other than a vacuum. Now live primers are interesting when you vacuum them up at times. Put have not had a fire doing so in over 50 years of doing it. The powder is only going to burn not explode. It's why I vacuum my reloading room and not the wife. I’m also not vacuuming a large volume of powder at any given time.
This Is what I do, If it bothers anyone then don’t do it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Crusty Member
10,956 Posts
Has anyone tried one of those bearing kits on an RL550? I find the shell plate sticking occasionally, and then if not careful, when it finally moves, it can bump some powder out of the case as it moves from station 2 to 3. I suspect the proper fix is to just remove the shell plate a little more often and clean it and the top of the ram.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,194 Posts
Has anyone tried one of those bearing kits on an RL550? I find the shell plate sticking occasionally, and then if not careful, when it finally moves, it can bump some powder out of the case as it moves from station 2 to 3. I suspect the proper fix is to just remove the shell plate a little more often and clean it and the top of the ram.
I have them both on the 650 and 450 also spring and ball.

Reactions: Glocker Perry

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I have been using a shop vac for over 20 years. Still here.
I drove like a maniac when I was younger... still here. Does than mean it was safe?

Well, I guess I am wrong... just like the powder manufacturers who say a vacuum should not be used.

But why risk it when other methods are OK?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts