Powder choice for 9mm 124gr load

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by zarosfaltor, Mar 1, 2011.

1. fredj338

fredj338

Here is the problem with people like you on a forum. You get butt hurt, then complain. So if you find yourself not being accepted on several forums, maybe a look in the mirror?? Your first post is to come after someone for a joke? The best part, you are still complaining. Gees, therapy maybe?
    There are few powders I dont like or havent at least tried. TG is one, 800X is another, there are a couple rifle powders too, but point, we all have our favs & powders we just never buy again. What you use, really doesnt matter to me. Your forum skills though, yeah could use a bit of work.

Neldon and SARDG like this.
  2. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

TG meters well. Probably 80-100k of 9mm and .40 (minor & major) loaded with TG downrange without a problem.

Intolerant likes this.

3. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

Too bad you are so thin skinned. If there is a better reloading site on the Internet, please tell me. Trust me when I say I'm not a Glock Talk fan but it is worth coming here for the reloading forum. If you can't swallow some tough love and some ribbing, I agree with you, go somewhere else.

I'm brand new to reloading and if fredj338 said don't use something, I'm taking that to the bank. You lost Taterhead so that's a huge loss to your database.

I'll leave "waist" alone because making fun of that will upset you more! LOL!

Neldon, Taterhead and rangerhgm like this.
  4. uofaengr

uofaengr

Internet forums aren't really for the thin-skinned, in general. This forum is mild compared to most, and more often than not is a good resource.

fredj338 and SARDG like this.
  5. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

Here are the powders that I have tried in 9mm
    Accurate 2 & 5
    3N37,N320, N330
    WST, WSF, 231
    Power Pistol, Bullseye, Unique, Ramshot Competition, CFE, Rex 2
    I like VV powders but at times are hard to find, I thought Ramshot Competition had the best possibility to work, But in the end also failed.
    But once again in the end the best powder for the application that I want, wanted is TiteGroup. In both 9mm and 45acp
    But then after doing all of this testing. This year I decided to give up GSSF shooting after not shooting any matches last year.

6. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

I have most of those top powders in stock, to at least try. But somehow I rarely get past N320 - except for a venture into 231-land for my .380s this year.

TG was the very first powder I tried on my very first press - a 650. Perhaps because I am anal, and perhaps because I read and follow instructions, I never had a problem with either TG or progressive presses OR with TG and progressive presses.

I didn't stay with TG for the entire pound, however. I found that all the cool kids were using VV powders (particularly 320 for minor/competition/9mil), so I started with that and never looked back. In the meantime, I've been teasing Fred about TG for years - the powder he loves to hate. :D

So... Unclebob, isn't there a GSSF in June up in your neck of the woods? For old times sake...

7. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

Had to look but yes their is one. Never say never but we will see.

SARDG likes this.
  8. fredj338

fredj338

Its good natured ribbing, some are internet retarded when it comes to deciphering such good natured ribbing. As noted, best to just stay off or stay quiet. When my buddy shoots lubed lead bullets in his 9mm, I ask him if he switched to black powder, sooo much smoke. TG is too hot for some bullet lubes.
    If all I could get was TG I would begrudgingly use it. I live VV powders but the cost is stupid & I don't feel I get 1.5x better performance, but I do like their powders. When my fav powders got short in 2012-13, I opened an old can of RedDot & kept shooting. It is amazingly accurate if a bit dirty, for 9&40 minor & 45acp. I could make just about anything work in any caliber, but we are fortunate to get choices still, for now.

uofaengr and SARDG like this.
  9. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

My USPSA/IDPA minor power reload, for decades, has been a 124 HiTek bullets over 3.3 grains of TiteGroup at 1.100" OAL loaded on a Dillon SD. Makes about 131, and is accurate enough. But there are lots of recipes that work well for the minor power floor. Pictured are left, Black and Blue 125 grain RN TC, and right a Bayou 125 Bayou, loaded on a Dillon 550 with 4.4 grains of BE-86 at 1.100" OAL.

[​IMG]

10. Matt VDW

Matt VDW Millennium Member

I've tried several powders in 9x19mm and my favorite so far is BE-86.

Disclaimer: I've never used Unique for anything.

11. Lagamor

Lagamor

I took advise from the internet sages when I started reloading and I’m glad I did.
    I am mechanically inclined, but started with a progressive press and decided that Unique would help shorten the leading curve.
    It did what I needed it to do. It’s not the best metering powder, but it is remarkable forgiving.

fredj338, Taterhead and FullClip like this.
  12. BigMoneyGrip

BigMoneyGrip

I love me some BE-86! However, I just got a can of Sport Pistol to try. So far I'm liking it. It doesn't seem to be near as versatile as BE-86, though.

13. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

WST for the win! Fred recommended it some time ago and and it just works for me in 9mm, 45acp and 38spl. when I don't care about velocity. When I am looking for more horsepower for 9mm, HS-6 and CFE-P have been good.
    I'd like to find a pound of the new Alliant sport pistol also. Supposed to be a touch faster than WST and very clean burn.

fredj338 and Taterhead like this.
  14. fredj338

fredj338

No SP is very fast, like TG without the negatives. Medium burners are the most versatile of powders imo. That is Unique up to about AA#7. They will work at lower vel, just be dirty & inefficient. They do well for midrange loads in magnums & can be pushed to max vel in service rds, but for the 357sig.

15. BigMoneyGrip

BigMoneyGrip

??What??

16. fredj338

fredj338

You can still get decent 9mm & 40 vel with WST. 9/147gr can be run nicely to 950fps. 180/40 about the same & 230/45 @ 850fos, pretty easy & very efficiently. I can get to 1100fps + with a 124gr coated lead in 9mm but accuracy starts falling off a bit.

Chillydog and Collo Rosso like this.