Potty Training Issues

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by ppk/sfan, Sep 10, 2007.

1. ppk/sfan

ppk/sfan Guest

Ok - I'm having some frustrations with Molly. We are on a good schedule, I take her out anytime I see signs she needs to go and about 20-30 minutes after feeding her.

The problem is that she doesn't always show signs that she needs to go. Sometimes she just squats and let it rip! AND she can go outside, pee, then come inside and 10 minutes later pee again!

The only time she gives me ANY warning is when she needs to poop.

I do leave the puppy pads down and she does generally use those, but I would REALLY like her to tell me she needs to go outside and GO OUTSIDE!

At her last vet appointment, the vet said there was nothing to worry about with her peeing so much - it's just "puppyness". Any suggestions?

2. Platz

Platz

The key to housetraining a puppy is patience and supervision. The problem you're experiencing is not that the pup isn't telling you she needs to go outside, it's that she has not yet fully learned the concept that going outside is the place to go. This is an important distinction (for you) to make in understanding why she's having "accidents" - although, to her, they aren't accidents. ;)

If she is turned loose in your house, she will likely have an accident. For the first several weeks, if she is not directly in your line of sight, either crate her or have her leashed to you. If you're making dinner, pup should be right there with you, if you are doing laundry and going back and forth across the house, as should the pup. If you step outside to get the mail, take her with you.

I crate train as well. Essentially crate training is really quite simple. It's like a playpen for a child. It's meant to safely contain them and keep them (and their surroundings) safe. Obviously you would not leave a child in a playpen and go run errands, however, you can - and should - do so with a puppy. Don't set her up for failure by letting her run loose in the house, or even in a small contained area where she can, and likely will, still potty inside.

When she goes potty outside, give her a ton of praise (the idea here is to make your neighbors think you're nuts, otherwise you probably aren't praising her enough), and a treat would be appreciated. Many diehard puppy raisers call this the “pee’s for cheese” program. I generally am not a big "treat trainer" as I prefer verbal praise and toys, but at this age, pups generally respond quite well to the treat method for housetraining.

She simply doesn’t understand that going potty in the house is bad, because to her it makes no difference if she goes on the carpet or in the grass. Your goal is to teach her that she gets praised & treated when she goes outside. Before long she will begin to link the two concepts and understand that going outside is GOOD. It also helps if you take them to the same area - at least for initial training. This way she doesn't get out there and think it's time to play. She will begin to recognize that that particlar spot in the yard is intended to do ones business in. Once that occurs, food and praise will come shortly thereafter. These are all good things to a puppy. :)

The most important part of all this is the following: if the pup has an accident inside, take a sheet of newspaper, roll it up in a tight roll.....and smack yourself several times on the head repeating, "I did not supervise the puppy enough, I did not supervise the puppy enough!"

Good luck & enjoy her while she's young. Before long this will all be a distant memory and yes, your carpeting will eventually forgive you. :wavey:

3. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Is she on a leash tied to you?

4. ppk/sfan

ppk/sfan Guest

Yep - she's been tied to me while out in the house unless I am letting her play with the other dogs and watching her VERY closely. She's in her crate unless attached to me.

My vet's suggestion (we saw her today for the rabies shots) was to take her out as scheduled and if she doesn't go outside, to crate her for about 20 minutes, then take her back outside. Repeat this process as necessary. I do give her treats, lots of praise.

5. mike1969

mike1969 NRA&GOA

By the way, you didnt notice if she was peeing than normal after the vaccine?? I just brought home a lab mix, and yesterday was like pee river. She did play a lot with the bosses weim. All day long. She also drank a bunch of water also. A lot of contributing factors too.

Too much excitement I guess. The crate helps alot. She hasnt had an accident in there yet.