Glock Talk banner

Potential Problems with Glock 44

1301 Views 43 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  halfmoonclip
After several thousand rounds through my Glock 44 I decided to completely disassemble the slide. The extractor and firing pin safety were so carboned up I can't believe they worked. It was difficult to get them apart. Lesson learned. I would certainly recommend everyone else does it.
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Registered
4,536 Posts
Here's a novel idea (I know it's anathema to a lot of the sharpshooters around here), Try reading and following the cleaning and maintenance instruction provided in the operating manual that Glock ships with every pistol. (just my 2 cents)
the manual directs users to not disassemble beyond field stripping, and most of us here feel an annual ( aT least) detail strip of slide is prudent so there is that. I am pretty lax on maintenance- field strip
every 500 rounds for a sub 5 minute cleaning, and once a year tear down the slide. No issues in about 30 years and tens of thousands of rounds. White glove ins clean is not needed, and you should be able to trust the gun to work somewhat dirty.

· Registered
2,706 Posts
Yes it is. Stock weight is 5.5 pounds. I haven't had any light primer strikes while using the 5 and spring while shooting CCI Mini Mags, AR Tactical, or Standard along with Aquila Super Extra. I haven't used any Remington or Winchester ammo in years due to their QC issues.

I tried the Wolff 4.5 pound spring when attempting to get the first Nelson 44X slide to run and I had way too may light primer strikes with that weight in the Nelson and OEM slides.
The trigger pull on my G44 was slightly heavier than on my G48, less than an extra pound but I could tell the difference. I replaced the stock 5.5 lb spring with a 5.0 lb Wolf spring, the two triggers now feel identical to me.
I've only been shooting Remington Golden Bullets from before the panic, but get the typical 1 misfire/100 rds with either FP spring. I did get one run of several misfires out of 50 after using the new spring for a while, not sure if that was just bad luck or whether the firing pin channel not being cleaned for several thousand rds caused it. So I cleaned the FP channel and FP, problem has not returned.

· Registered
4,577 Posts
Frankly, pretty lazy with the 44; it gets field stripped maybe every 500 rounds, it just runs and runs. With striker guns (not just this one), if the firing pin feels gritty when moving it manually, then its worth pulling it. Have been known to blow shop air down the firing pin hole, and that will blow out junk.
Not above cleaning guns, but carry guns get more attention. Not convinced that guns profit from too much detail cleaning.
Moon

· Registered
2,791 Posts
Yesterday I shot for the first time in about 2 months? Only shot my G44. Shot only Punch Federal through it. Shot great, very accurate. I forgot about pointing the ammo up in the magazine and had 3 or 4 failures to chamber a round. Totally my fault, I knew better. At 25 yards had a 5 shot group that 3 of the 5 went into 1 inch approx. about an inch high of my point of aim. The other 2 went left 3 inches. I had not shot in 2 months. I was pretty happy. As this gun I bought used and have never gotten it to group like that before. Its so reliable now that I would trust it for defense purposes i a pinch. But im a big bore kind of guy so that possibly wont never happen. Triggers broken in now so im not fighting it to group well.

· Registered
85 Posts
These days I usually take my G44 to the range because .22LR is still relatively inexpensive compared to the larger calibers.

To avoid any potential feeding issues, I follow this guy's technique. It kinda sucks that you have to at times do this little workaround but it is what it is:

Reactions: PM720

· Registered
35 Posts
I've been pretty pleased with my G44 although only had it for a month now. Zero malfunctions with mini-mags in both factory mags and Promag 18s & 25s. The Promags were kind of a surprise, usually I stick to factory mags but the cap difference was enough to gamble. The Promags run fine and actually seat easier than factory. Load buttons are quite small so an aftermarket assist tool is money well spent. After break in I'll try some less reliable rounds to see if there's any differences.
Best part is that right out of the box it ran std. velocity CCI unsuppressed. Only had a handful to try but seemed to group it better than mini mags. I don't have many modern rimfire pistols that can do that, and only one other did it on day one.
Honestly, if you just want a rimfire pistol and it doesn't have to feel like a Glock, there's lots of options with better ergos, trigger, features, etc in this price range. But kudos to Glock to make the Tacoma of rimfire pistols, keep it simple, make it run right, and reliable.
I usually avoid the dirtier brands of rimfire but any rimfire runs dirty compared to centerfire. And lots of cheaper ammo put sand or ground up brass as a filler in their powder, so as a rule I clean often. I have some Armscor rimfire that leaves bits of brass flakes all thru my firearms so I start a cleaning by blowing it out with compressed air.

· Registered
26 Posts
I've been pretty pleased with my G44 although only had it for a month now. Zero malfunctions with mini-mags in both factory mags and Promag 18s & 25s. The Promags were kind of a surprise, usually I stick to factory mags but the cap difference was enough to gamble. The Promags run fine and actually seat easier than factory. Load buttons are quite small so an aftermarket assist tool is money well spent. After break in I'll try some less reliable rounds to see if there's any differences.
Best part is that right out of the box it ran std. velocity CCI unsuppressed. Only had a handful to try but seemed to group it better than mini mags. I don't have many modern rimfire pistols that can do that, and only one other did it on day one.
Honestly, if you just want a rimfire pistol and it doesn't have to feel like a Glock, there's lots of options with better ergos, trigger, features, etc in this price range. But kudos to Glock to make the Tacoma of rimfire pistols, keep it simple, make it run right, and reliable.
I usually avoid the dirtier brands of rimfire but any rimfire runs dirty compared to centerfire. And lots of cheaper ammo put sand or ground up brass as a filler in their powder, so as a rule I clean often. I have some Armscor rimfire that leaves bits of brass flakes all thru my firearms so I start a cleaning by blowing it out with compressed air.
Where did you find an assist tool for loading the mags?

· Registered
2,895 Posts
Here is a tip.

I lube up all of my .22LR guns with Breakfree CLP. It has a solvent in the oil that does a real fine job of breaking down powder and residue in .22 guns.

I dont use Breakfree CLP on the other guns. Its works great on the rimfire stuff though.

· Registered
2,791 Posts
Thanks Night Train ive never seen that video. I usually just pull the lever down and shake the magazine, making sure they are correctly pointed in the correct angle. Repeat till I get it right.
But yesterday I was not thinking.

· Registered
4,577 Posts
I slowly load the mags, so that they 'splay ' correctly in the mag. Really good .22 mags (the Glock and the 15-22 as examples) let the rounds 'splay', rather than simply stack. No, you don't want to pull the follower all the way down, and just drop in the rounds.
Been known to stick a cut off Glock cleaning rod through the mag as an easier loading tool than just using the buttons.
Mine has eaten about anything, and this thread did lead to a more energetic field strip and cleaning.
Moon

Reactions: Toocool45

· Registered
85 Posts
Thanks Night Train ive never seen that video. I usually just pull the lever down and shake the magazine, making sure they are correctly pointed in the correct angle. Repeat till I get it right.
But yesterday I was not thinking.
My Pleasure. You are most welcome!

Reactions: Toocool45

· Registered
85 Posts
I used a file to narrow the pusher tab in a stock G19 mag loader. Works great on the 18 round Promags.
I've had bad experiences in the past with Promags. Other folks I know have had bad experiences with them as well. I would not recommend.

· Registered
1,101 Posts
Friends don't let friends by Promag. Some say they've had success with the Promag for G44 but as best as I can tell, its hit and miss. I tried using a Promag for my LC9s and it was a disaster. I'll pass.

When I first got my G44 I had to do the hold upside down and shake routine for the first few hundred rounds. Once the springs loosened up a little I've not had to do that any more.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts