Glock Talk banner

Potential Problems with Glock 44

1302 Views 43 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  halfmoonclip
After several thousand rounds through my Glock 44 I decided to completely disassemble the slide. The extractor and firing pin safety were so carboned up I can't believe they worked. It was difficult to get them apart. Lesson learned. I would certainly recommend everyone else does it.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Premium Member
Glocks: I have two G34.3’s, a G45, a G44, a G48 MOS
506 Posts
Something I have found when disassembling a highly carboned up slide or frame and its internals is aerosol CLP injected into all the openings, nooks and crannies and leave it sit overnight. It helps break things down a bit for easier disassembly.

· Registered
2,122 Posts
After several thousand rounds through my Glock 44 I decided to completely disassemble the slide. The extractor and firing pin safety were so carboned up I can't believe they worked. It was difficult to get them apart. Lesson learned. I would certainly recommend everyone else does it.
What an endorsement. I'd say that's impressive as hell. Thoroughly clean and lube it. Pump another several thousand rounds through it. Carry on.

· Registered
14,119 Posts
I would certainly recommend everyone else does it.
Does what?

Clean a gun after a few thousand rounds?

How about after every use?

Glocks have this reputation of working even though they are never cleaned, and people take that as a challenge unfortunately.

It's the anti-lock brake irony. We found that accidents increased in early ABS equipped cars because people believed they were invincible with it.

It's a gun, it gets dirty when you shoot it.

Clean it.

· Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does what?
Clean a gun after a few thousand rounds?
How about after every use?
I said COMPLETELY disassemble slide. So you remove your firing pin, extractor depressor, ejector, firing pin safety, along with the barrel and recoil spring?...every time you shoot it? I learn something new every day.

Something I have found when disassembling a highly carboned up slide or frame and its internals is aerosol CLP injected into all the openings, nooks and crannies and leave it sit overnight. It helps break things down a bit for easier disassembly.
Good suggestion to do that-periodically without Complete disassembly-thanks

· Registered
1,997 Posts
I have over 20,000 rounds fired through my G44 and the only time I have disassembled the slide was when trying different firing pin spring weights. So I have only had the slide stripped maybe 4-5 times in 20,000 rounds. I just field strip occasionally and a normal cleaning and haven't had any issues.

· Registered
487 Posts
Here's a novel idea (I know it's anathema to a lot of the sharpshooters around here), Try reading and following the cleaning and maintenance instruction provided in the operating manual that Glock ships with every pistol. (just my 2 cents)

· Premium Member
13,499 Posts
I said COMPLETELY disassemble slide. So you remove your firing pin, extractor depressor, ejector, firing pin safety, along with the barrel and recoil spring?...every time you shoot it? I learn something new every day.

Good suggestion to do that-periodically without Complete disassembly-thanks
I do a complete disassembly for cleaning after every time I shoot. Start to finish it takes me about 10-15 minutes, no time at all.

I have 12,000 shots out of my G44 and have had no issues but I clean it every range trip. I try to clean my guns after every range trip. They of course get dirty quickly.
THIS. Every time.

· Premium Member
13,499 Posts
I have over 20,000 rounds fired through my G44 and the only time I have disassembled the slide was when trying different firing pin spring weights. So I have only had the slide stripped maybe 4-5 times in 20,000 rounds. I just field strip occasionally and a normal cleaning and haven't had any issues.
What did you end up running? Factory spring? Lighter? Heavier? Considering going to a 6 lb spring.

· Registered
1,997 Posts
Thats lighter, isnt it? I had some light strikes recently, going to run the 6# today at the range, see what happens.
Yes it is. Stock weight is 5.5 pounds. I haven't had any light primer strikes while using the 5 and spring while shooting CCI Mini Mags, AR Tactical, or Standard along with Aquila Super Extra. I haven't used any Remington or Winchester ammo in years due to their QC issues.

I tried the Wolff 4.5 pound spring when attempting to get the first Nelson 44X slide to run and I had way too may light primer strikes with that weight in the Nelson and OEM slides.

· Registered
1,945 Posts
I do a complete disassembly for cleaning after every time I shoot. Start to finish it takes me about 10-15 minutes, no time at all.

THIS. Every time.
I field strip every time I return from the range but I have only disassembled the slide once in 2 years. No real reason to clean Glocks as often as I do but it's a habit! My brother on the other hand has never cleaned his guns. jmo

1 - 20 of 44 Posts