Glock 17 Potential of the front cutout deletion on generation 5 Glocks?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Andrew Cammisa, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Andrew Cammisa

Andrew Cammisa

Hello all, so I was super excited to see that the half moon cutout was quietly removed on the new G45, G19 mos fs, and the G17 mos fs (or so I thought for the 17 anyway). While I didn’t think front serrations would be added to standard gen 5 models, I thought for sure that the cutout removal would be a silent rolling change (like the frame bevel in new gen 5 guns); however, looking at the 360 view on their website of the 17.5 mos fs, you can clearly see the inclusion of the front cutout (https://us.glock.com/products/g17_gen5_mos_fs). Whereas the 19.5 mos fs and 45.5 don’t have it (https://us.glock.com/products/g19_gen5_mos_fs)(https://us.glock.com/products/G45). Anyway, my question to you all is Do you think this change will silently make its way to ALL existing gen 5 models or just the 19s? I hate the fact that the mag can snag on the cutout during reloads and I don’t think it matters that you have more to grip without your pinky falling into the cutout for the full sized grip glocks. That thing was a bad idea on ALL models and IMO needs to go.

2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Yes I think they will. As you say, they even fixed the frame rounding at the front and that was a silly cosmetic issue. The cutout is a ergonomic/functional issue.

B C and Andrew Cammisa like this.

3. Mike Papa

Mike Papa

We can only hope!!! I have two of the first day release G19.5 that I will upgrade to three G19.5 the day they are available with NO Cutout. :flag:

Andrew Cammisa likes this.
  4. Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby

It only makes sense - and Glock will not announce it similar to the frame beveling, its a cosmetic update after listening to their customers (thank you!) - this way they only need one frame mold for the 19 and 17 Gen5 (MOS or "regular") going forward -

I'm glad I waited for the Gen5 purchases as this was my biggest issue, my 19 is my favorite pistol but on the Gen5 my pinky rests right in the cutout and is so annoying

5. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Tactical Elf"

I have no doubt the cutout will be deleted from all future models. They did the same thing with the 2nd Gen modes as well, although it took them a bit longer to hear the complaints.

TXPO

Deadduck357 and B C like this.
  6. Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby

7. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

I find it hilarious that Glock "fixed" the cutout years ago because it was wildly unpopular... Fast forward to the Gen5.... Who was sitting at the table and said "hey, I got a great idea , let's bring the cutout back".... And everyone else says, "great idea" meeting adjourned!

Glock exec to other exec... "Wtf was bob talking about?".... "I don't know, our fanboys will buy anything"

8. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Tactical Elf"

Having a cutout to strip magazines was a requirement of the FBI and Glock was simply lazy about it and said "watch this. We will use that stupid cutout from the gen 2 days and the Fed's will think it's great."....:)

The general public remembered them from the 2nd gens and the general public said "WTF" was Glock thinking....:)

TXPO

tampashooters likes this.
  9. bubbatime

bubbatime

I've seen a couple pictures of the new MOS 17 that appear to show the cutout has been removed. Maybe they used an earlier prototype picture for the website because the new frames were not in stock yet and they were on a tight schedule?

[​IMG]

10. ZX14R

ZX14R Silver Member

Glocks press release, shows no cutouts.

8.jpg

11. 762DM

762DM

I don’t notice the cut-out when shooting, I just knocked the edges down with 500 grit paper then polished with 2000.

kahrdriver and RDHudak like this.
  12. Dooger

Dooger

Might think about buying a 19.5 if they do away with the cutout.

13. .45FMJoe

.45FMJoe

I would like to see a regular Gen 5 19 with front serrations, I'm OK with or without the notch.

14. im413

im413

Me too

15. RDHudak

RDHudak

Agreed. I have big hands and the cutout doesn't bother me at all.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

16. mcclain210

mcclain210

I dont post here much, but shooting my g5 17 and 19 i really dont have a problem with the cut out. I barely notice it if at all. If they do end up doing away with it, im sure i will swap both of my g5’s for the new non cut outs just cause.

17. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

As long as it remains a requirement for the 17M and 19M, they’ll still need to make those frames for years to come. Perhaps it’s dropped for the Civilian models.

18. Andrew Cammisa

Andrew Cammisa

I was thinking the same. Idk why Glock wouldn’t just make it a full flare and add a baseplate similar to the Vickers tactical ones that allow you to strip from the sides of the mag as those would allow you to strip mags in the event of a type 3 malfunction without the need for the cutout. Speaking of which, anyone know if those work for the gen 5’s? I know they are compatible with the mag but idk if the flare overhangs those floor plates so much that you can’t get a good grip on it from the sides.

19. Andrew Cammisa

Andrew Cammisa

8449D835-E779-420A-8743-8FEF07104D39.jpeg
    Update: this is a Vickers elite Glock 19.5 and it definitely looks like you can get a good purchase from the sides of the mag to strip it, even with the flare. Glock, if you are somehow listening, I know you already redesigned the gen 5 magazine floor plates but, if you do something like this instead and drop the cutout, it will be a way better package!

20. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I had those base pads for my Gen 4, and felt they hampered concealability. I often wonder the same about the flared mag well.