close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Potential new recruit needs serious advice and help...

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by TED, Jan 24, 2006.

1. TED

TED Millennium Member

Hi, here is the situation...

I want to join the military.

I am 29yo and will be 30 at the end of this July.

I graduate from college with a bachelors degree in English this May.

I have passed the AFOQT (air force officers test), without studying at all, including the pilot and navigators sections, though I want to be neither and I am near sighted though correctable to 20/20.

I have an 89 on the ASVAB (previously a 92 or higher but that was long ago).

BTW, I did that with out sutdying at all in just under an hour and a half the day after my GF's grandmother died, with no sleep for 36 hours and having just previously been given some horribly bad personal news.

As I understand it, I am too old to enlist in any branch but the Army or Navy?

PROBLEM: I was previously medically disqualified by MEPPS although I have never actually had an exam there. They simply looked at my medical records and said disqualifed. How did this happen? Long ago, I went to the recruiter and eventually we got to the point where he said they needed my medical records. I said which ones, he says, he guesses all of them. I go to the hospital and ask for my medical records, they say which ones, I say all of them I guess. I give them all to the recruiter, he sends them on to MEPPS, neither the recruiter nor myself lloked at them. Apparently, my father and my step mother falsified my medical record in order to cover up their criminal abuse of me as a child and to prevent me from being drafted (they are Jehovah's Witnesses and beleive that military service is a sin, freaking weirdos). For example, no doc I didn't beat the kid, he fell down the stairs SLEEPWALKING, no doc, I didn't beat the kid, he fell of his bike having a SEIZURE, and the like. All of which is grossly untrue. In point of fact I have now and have had excellent health with no issues.

TWIST: AFTER the above, while I was in college I tried USAF ROTC. During this time, I was specifically medically CLEARED by USAF ROTC at the Elmendorf AFB hospital, and participated in and passed all physical training for two whole years. Apparently, all this means nothing to MEPPS (they don't care about anybody but themselves).

Short of a congressional intervention request of my representative, Don Young, which I am prepared for and planning to proceed with, I have not been able to find a way around the problem.

Please advise.

Now, putting that aside for a moment, assuming that I am medically cleared, what are my options? As I understand it I am too old to enlist in any service but the Army or Navy. I have ZERO interst in ROTC as I am DONE with college. However, I might be quite interested in OCS or other officer programs.

Job types that I am currently aware of and are of interest to me include, in no special order: police/security forces, CID or equivalent, intelligence, and linguist/interpreter, small arms instructor, survival instructor, and related fields.

I posess far more brains than brawn and am not generally interested in infantry type jobs. It is important, and somebody has to do it, but it doesn't have to be me. Also, frankly, I feel that it would not be the optimal use of my skills and talents, I wouldn't be happy, and my potential would be wasted.

Please advise.

Assuming that I go off to basic this summer or fall, I will need to arrange my affairs at home. I will need to make a will, find storage for personal property and gun collection etc. Does the military help you with any of this?

Please advise.

Well, that is all I can think of for now. I have an appointment with the Army recrutier tommorow and will likely have more questions after that.

Any good websites for new recruits OTHER than official recruiting sites which I have already looked at and haven't told me a great deal.

I have just recently found and not yet looked at...
    http://usmilitary.about.com/
    and
    http://www.military.com/

Any others I should be aware of and what do you think of the aforementioned sites?

TED

2. GackMan

GackMan

Are you currently working with a recruiter? when were you DQed at MEPS? was it recently or years ago? talk to a recruiter and see if they can help you get around that. you can challenge the MEPS findings, it may come to that. Problem is, you'll need to be able to PROVE that the records were falsified by your parents. Were they ever arrested for abusing you or anything like that?

I'm not a big fan of lying or omitting information but you may want to try at MEPS again and 'lose' your medical records. Just show up for the physical and pass it.

Also, re-take the ASVAB with a good night's sleep. Take the DLAB.

Based on your "wish list" ask the Army about the 98XL program - this will get you to language school and into intelligence, but you need a higher ASVAB score. Apply to OCS if that is what you want to do once you are in. You may decide to do 4 years and get out and go to work. Nothing wrong with not making it a career.

3. TED

TED Millennium Member

No, I am not currently working with a recruiter. I have an appointment for tommorow with the Army recruiter though.

The original disqualification was many years ago like 95 or 96. However, because of the fact that I have tried, unsucessfully thus far to fight with MEPPS about it, they still have the records. It might have been possible that if I had not tired to fight with and challenge them the records may have been eventually cycled out or something but as it is the records are there and they are very much aware of me and my situation, given that I have been challenging the issue, again, unsucessfully thus far. Undoubtedly if they would just give the freaking physical and whatever test, I would pass, but they won't even let me take it. I certainly will not get anything done internally with MEPS. I have to find my solution to my MEPS problem from outside of MEPS.

Considering that my health is and has been excellent and that I have practiced the marital arts, been to numerous shooting shcools, hiking, camping, USAF ROTC physical training for two years of ROTC in college, and was specifically medically cleared by USAF ROTC, I am pretty perplexed and frustrate and angry with MEPS sutpidity and stubborness, and lack of interets in reason or fact.

No, I can not prove that they falsified my records. While my father and stepmother were reproted and investigated for abuse they were not arrested. I did file a domestic violence restraining order which was granted when I ran away from home though. I also have some friends from childhood that can testify or sign an affadavit that I was abused though, as well as perhaps an old neighbor who still lives in the same spot.

Are you allowed to go to OCS after you have already enlisted?

Tell me more about the 98XL program. What ASVAB score do I need for it?

Thank you for your help thus far. I'll have more information and questions after tommorow.

TED

4. Sam White

Sam White I miss you bud Silver Member

Ted, you are too old for the other services' active components. You can seek a waiver for your age, but your chances of getting the waiver in addition to the medical waiver you'll need are not good. You could attempt the Air Force- look at MrMurphy's posts. The USMC will probably be more inclined to give you waivers than the Air Force because they still need actual humans to do hard physical work. You won't need age waivers for the Army or Navy, making things a little easier (as far as getting your in).

So which branch should you try? If you want a specific branch go find a good recruiter and fight like hell with MEPS. If you aren't decided, I would tell you to look hard at the Army. The Air Force and Navy are both looking to shrink their numbers- on usmilitary.about.com look up "blue to green." That means you'll have to fight harder to get in and stay in the USAF or USN. The Army is growing, and the Army the biggest branch. They will always be more inclined to give waivers the other branches wouldn't. The USMC is smaller, but (from what I understand) will be more likely to give waivers to people willing to work hard and who want to be Marines. The Army is a good branch for someone with a non-techical degree, and you can get into most fields with a good physical profile and good ASVAB scores. The USAF and USN are very technical branches and opportunity will be limited for someone with your degree.

What do you want out of the military? A career? Do you just want to do your three years and get out? The Army has a lot of schooling and a lot of opportunities, and you will be less likely to be forced into an early out like the Air Force or Navy. But, the Army is a ground combat service and is physically demanding. You need to take a long, hard look at yourself and your abilities/limitations. You can "enlist for OCS;" there is such an enlistment option. How badly do you want to be an officer? If you are unsure, go enlisted and see what you think.

FYI, I have a M.A. in English (American Literature). I enlisted at 28 and needed a medical waiver. So you can see why I felt compelled to answer your post.

Anyway, let us know how the visit with the recruiter works out. Good luck and thank you for your interest in serving.

5. KNEESINTHEBREEZ

KNEESINTHEBREEZ Got Silk?

See the link in my sig. There are some recruiter types running around there.

6. GackMan

GackMan

hey man - I'm way out of my lane on the MEPS thing. I have no idea how long they retain records and **** like that. I just know of people who have challenged the doc's findings there and/or received waivers.

you could just get on a plane and go to the Seattle MEPS and try to back door them. ;)

98XL program, over at your favorite web site: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjobs/a/98xl.htm

magic number is 110 GT on the ASVAB. But for the 98XL program they say 105 in the ST portion. You'll also need a DLAB score of 90+ but that is way down the road.

I got out of the military a LONG time ago... but that is the gist of it.

Do what knees in the breeze said, also might want to hit lightfighter.net, might be some recruiters around there.

7. GT204

GT204

Instead of OCS you may also want to consider Warrant Officer School.
    It's kind of like an officer, but in a more speciliazed field. WO can be anything from aviation to mechanic and anything in between. Another nice thing is because they hold a weird spot in the chain of command, most people don't want to mess with Warrant Officers. There is also a high demand for them and you can decide to do it after basic training.

8. TED

TED Millennium Member

First of all thank you all for your thoughts thus far.

If I could become an officer, I would probably make it a career. I have mixed feelings about an enlisted career. I mean, what the hell is the college degree for then? Not a big deal but a thought. If I just do a hitch and get out then I would like to apply for a federal law enforcement agency or intelligence service. In particualr, I find the DSS, Diplomatic Security Service to be of interest.

I'm reading over on the two web sites I listed before. I'll get back to you guys soon.

TED

9. TED

TED Millennium Member

I have firmly settled on the Army for the following reasons.

I'm too old for anything else but the Navy and I don't like boats, water, being stuck on the ocean, tiny cramped spaces, etc.

I could try to get an age waiver but I really don't want to, I'm already facing an uphill battle and I want to improve my chances rather than further limiting them.

The Navy actually has a surplus of people currently and just had a big early discharge thing.

The Army is the branch most in need of people right now, hopefully this will be beneficial to me.

I agree with the asessment a previous poster made that for people with a non technical degree and focus, the Army offers more oppotunites than the highly tecnical driven Navy (and Air Force) and again I am too old for the any of the other options besides the Navy. I believe this to be even more ture of the officer programs. After all the reason why I left USAF ROTC is that I missed the last slot for non tech degree students until after 2007!!!

The Army is also better than the others, including Navy, my only other at having more influence over your job (guantees and so forth), and though I am not sure, as I understand it, potentially the first duty station.

I also beleive that the Army offers the best enlistment bonuses over all.

SO...ARMY or bust is it guys.

I hope that this specificity and certainty of branch selection will enable you guys to offer me more specific and direct guidance.

Once again, thank you all.

TED

10. TED

TED Millennium Member

Intel is looking pretty interesting so far.

A quick question in the totally oppiste direction. I could not find a listing for an MOS for sniper or designated marksman. Any ideas on where I might find that lisitng?

TED

11. jwalk2515

jwalk2515

sniper and designated marksman are not typical MOS's, they require you to be infantry first and you compete for those slots against your peers and not really at all as an officer.

I agree with other post about losing your medical records or changing to a new meps station. remember this may come back to haunt you at a later date, say during a background investigation, required for any intel job.

Another choice would be to join the guard and go active at a later date. I am in the Guard-active right now, deployed. I have an AFQT of 98, GT of 140, serving as Infantry. Some days its challenging, some days its not. I spend my days outside the wire, interviewing people about conditions in their country and ethnic tensions while on patrol. Its what you make of it. Infantry officers require degrees too and I personally know quite a few enlisted soldiers with degrees up to and including masters. I am a pre-law myself.
    It is much the same as my time in the Marine Corps, it takes all types and you never know what you might enjoy. I was communications, tactical switching in the corps and much less technical now but every bit as happy.

Any questions feel free to email me at james.o.walk@us.army.mil

12. Sam White

Sam White I miss you bud Silver Member

TED, I'm glad you feel that way: that's what I was trying to tell you before.

Someone mentioned warrant officers. You said you weren't so sure about being enlisted with a degree and weren't decided on going for a commission. If you enlist into the right field, you may eventually have a shot at becoming a technical warrant officer (you're right on the edge of being too old to become a pilot in the Army). You enlist in a "feeder MOS," get as much experience as you possibly can, work hard to distinguish yourself as a good soldier, and meet the various administrative requirements. Then you apply for Warrant Officer Candidate School, and upon completion you become a warrant officer. What makes this relevant to you (and to me as well) is that the max age for warrant is 46 and that your packet will be based on what you do in the Army (more than, say, a specialized techie degree). You need to have a plan if you're going to do this, and it will take most of your Army career unless you're really a superstar. And, you have to want it badly.

As said above, you can try the Guard or Reserve for now and go active later. This may be worth considering if for no other reason than the Guard having different waiver channels than the Regular Army (from what I understand, waivers may be a little easier to come by in the Guard). If you get a medical waiver and join the Guard it will be easier for you later regarding your physical status. In my case, getting the waiver was a pita but now that I'm in and have lasted this long without a profile it's a non-issue for me. For my officer packet, I got a medical waiver based on my previous waiver plus a three year track record plus a clean periodic physical.

13. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

option of intel with scores that'd have let me get priority. (at that time)..

and regretted it. it would have been a better use of my skills.

i'd strongly recommend a fresh start, with new test scores, and do your best to push em over the cutoff.

and, as others, i'd suggest Army, being the most options for you.

I'd further state that communications warrants are in a sweet position, sufficient responsibilities to have interesting jobs, and not immune from some of the minor privileges of rank. Intel is paper shuffling mostly, albeit important papers.. and communications is just a bit more techish and engineering-like.

If you want command, go field artillery. It's not going away. Shooting people with big guns is traditional and works.

if you want nice work and easy duty, commo warrant. they don't have sucky jobs.

if you want to be important, love details, don't tell anybody anything ever, by default, need orders to tell your mother good morning.. you are INTEL through and through. 'don't ask, don't tell' is holy writ. 'need to know' is a matter of direct orders or there ain't any.

commo gossips more. it's part of their job sometimes. not everything is regs.. or logged. so pick what fits you.

and, for what it's worth.. IF it's a matter of someone, somewhere, thinking your current *psychological* state isn't acceptable, they might well (legally) hide such from you. I do not suggest it. I do suggest you not only have the facts as you have been told them, but ALL the facts, by hook or by crook, before you make choices. And, again for what it's worth, you'll be more valuable to yourself and country as an officer or warrant. don't dodge the chance if you can get it. enlisting is fine, but.. make a difference, huh?

14. rangerruck

rangerruck

definitely retake the asvab you will get many more high end , tech, intel options. language/interpreter is a killer, but a great job to have in and out of the army. A friend of mine , his wife is from Russia, and worked for nasa here in houston for 1 yr, started at i think 70k, now she does contract work, hired gun about 7 times a month , makes several hundred bucks per job usually a few hrs per day, when she contracts.

15. MP1SG

MP1SG

Your ASVAB is fine and your scores probably qualify you for about anything you want. Availability and other qualifications (physical, security clearance, etc) maybe another story. Essentially your ASVAB score gets you in the door, but the scores in the skill areas determine what jobs you would be suited for.

Do you want an adventurous job, sitting on your *** job, or what. You can't be a computer operator with a side job as a pointman.

Also, keep in mind you are serving your country, your country isn't serving you.

16. MarmaladeBoy

MarmaladeBoy NRA Member

Best of luck, dude! I got shot down in the MEPS myself late last year, apparently I didn't lie enough. Ha. But, your story is a real testament to how hard up they're getting for recruits recently compared to when you tried to join in 95/96, though; you mentioned before they had you send them all of your medical records. I didn't have to do any of that at all. They had me sign the form that gives the Army recruiter permission to sniff in your records if he needs to, but as he said, "No one is going to even glance unless you give us a reason to." A reflection of how emphatic he was that I lie and perjure my arse off every step of the way through the MEPS processing... I wasn't comfortable with that, so here I am, still civvie job hunting. Oh well.

You bring up a good point too, I do wonder how long the MEPS hangs onto your records... after a couple years of doing the kinds of jobs that BAs in Literature like us end up with, I may well take another hard look at the military ;) I do know that Fort Gillem, where my MEPS is located, is closing down as part of the base realignment plan, wonder how well records will survive that? I wasn't outright rejected anyway, but they stopped my processing until I gave them assorted doctor's letters (which I can't really get for waiver purposes anyway, one of the docs would disagree with me trying to serve) and it has remained open ended since.

17. drew357

drew357

I spent 5 years in the Marine Corps. Enlisted. We enlisted folks have much more respect for Warrant Officers than commisioned officers. Just my take. Good luck

18. reconvic

reconvic Recon Marine

Only because they earned there way up!

19. TED

TED Millennium Member

I was supposed to have had some news Friday but it didn't happen. I'm goping back Monday and I'll let you no what happens.

TED

20. MarmaladeBoy

MarmaladeBoy NRA Member

Keep us updated, amigo :)