close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

potential damage from putting 17 bbl in 31?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by joe sacco, Jan 15, 2011.

1. joe sacco

joe sacco

I know you have explained many variations of the below question, but my version is not theoretical: I bought a G 31 used from a very nice young guy. He also had what he said (probably believed) was a 9 mm conversion barrel and a 9mm mag.

At the time I didn't inspect the 9mm barrel ( my fault, I got to BSing with the kid.) The gun was in nice shape. Later I noticed, in better light at home that the bottom of the barrel below the chamber area looked like somebody with a hand file and no skill had attempted to fit it. I also noticed that the barrel, a Wilson, was marked 9mm only. Sure enough, a quick check with the calipers revealed that it was a straight 17 barrel, not a conversion.

My question is, where should I look for potential damage assuming he used this barrel ? There is nothing obvious, no galling on the inside of the slide etc. Could I have hidden frame damage? Trouble with the locking block?

Thanks in advance. Best, Joe

2. JR

JR Moderator Millennium Member

If it is a G17 barrel I highly recommend you avoid using it in your G31. It is too small and will slop around in the slide. Basically dangerous!
    If the barrel has been hacked on I would dump it. If you want a second opinion, send it to me and I will evaluate it for you. If it is bad, destroy it. No sence in getting somebody hurt over a faulty $100 barrel.

3. joe sacco

joe sacco

I don't intend to use the barrel in any gun, but I'm concerned if it had been used in the gun I now own by the previous owner, could it have damaged the gun and if so, what should I look for?

Thanks, Joe

4. JR

JR Moderator Millennium Member

I would avoid using it at all. If there is damage it should be obivious. I can not tell you where to look for damage other than do a complete inspection of the firearm