Post your Boat Launch/Reloading adventures.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by mossy500camo, Jun 3, 2007.

1. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Boy! oh.. boy! Did we have a time yesterday (Sat 6-2). Well my nephew and I set out for another fishing adventure this weekend. Everything was going well, until we put the boat in the water. Let me give you an idea of what we have here. We have a small 15ft fiberglass fishing boat /w a 9.8hp Mercury outboard and a Motor Guide Trolling motor. We launch the boat attempt to start the lil Mercury outboard.
    It started right up after to pulls of the cord and the darn thing reved up really high so we let it sit in nuetral for awhile until the motor settled down. Ok... my nephew was operating the motor and when he put the thing in gear, the freaking motor raised up and off of the transom rest and off she goes into the water.:shocked: I'm like WTF!?:shocked: How did that happen!?:shocked: My nephew grabbed the motor by the gas line and pulled it up out of the water before it sank to the bottom. We put the darn thing back onto the boat and she wont hit a lick now. So anyways... we trolled around /w the lil MotorGuide and caught some pretty decent fish.:supergrin:

2. noway

noway

Have one even better, 14ft jon boat , 5 hp OB, back the trailer down the ramp, untied the cords, and my securing line was tied to what I thought was a secure "no dumping" sign. Post at the top of the bank and next to the ramp.

I pull the truck/trailer out and go park it at the deisgnate parking area. Walk back and notice the boat is gone :shocked: ( was I boat jack ; ) )

The boat pulled the sign right out the ground and the current was carrying it down the canal. I was like OJ sprinting next to the canal edge and finalling I had to dive into the water, ahead of the boat and swim into the boat.

Noway was not an happy camper :steamed:

3. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Noway! Do you know alot about outboard motors? What should I do or be concerned about with my lil outboard being submerged briefly? It still wont start up.:sad:

4. noway

noway

drain, flush, drain and flush again.

If this is saltwater or brackish than most likely it would have corrosive effects by now and not to be bearer of bad news, salt water is not very good.

Saltwater has never been my friend, when it comes to boats :sad:

5. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

LOL! No saltwater up here. Fresh water only. :thumbsup:

ok.. Now for the stupid question...... How do I flush the motor? In detail please....;) Thanks

6. bassman-dan

bassman-dan NRA Lifer

A good friend of mine was at Toledo Bend Lake with his wife and went to launch his boat on a rather steep boat ramp.
    He had followed someone's suggestion to put ArmorAll on the carpet-covered boat trailer support boards (that the boat rides on when on the trailer)--this was supposed to make the boat launch more easily when pushing it off the trailer.
    Anyway, he arrived at the ramp, removed the boat straps holding it on the trailer, and began backing down to the water. This is a 15 ft. fiberglass boat with 25 HP outboard, trolling motor, etc.
    While backing down to the water, he touched the brakes lightly and the boat slid off the trailer and thumped down onto the concrete ramp!
    Needless to say, he was not a happy camper! He jumped out of the truck to assess the damage and his wife, who was standing over to the side, said "Hey, Tommy, the water is over there!" He briefly contemplated murder but had other problems to deal with. :shocked:

7. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Whooaaa!:shocked:

8. pizzaaguy

pizzaaguy

:rofl:

9. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

In 1985 I was with a buddy on Silverwood Lake near Victorville CA. We were in a 14' alum boat with a old 35HP outboard. We got across the lake about 5am, started fishing and I stood up and leaned on the motor a little to hard.

Oops.

Damn thing broke loose and sank faster I could swim after it.

So we fished and rowed all over that lake, (While I dryed out) headng all the time in the general direction of the truck.

Lake was almost empty that day. No one to give us a tow.

I had to pay for that motor too, boat was a rental from the base.

Thank God we had a lot of beer with us. Made the rowing all that much nicer.

Jim

10. michaelj1978

michaelj1978

1. My father and grandfather in the late 80's drove 3 hours to fish at Stockton Lake for Walleye. (We're from Kansas City). They back down the ramp, boat floats up off the trailer and up pop's a tire. The bearings must have been totally shot from the trip and ended up tearing the axle to high hell. They parked the boat on some rocks, drug the trailer and it's one wheel back out of the water and up the ramp, then drove to Springfield to get another complete axle. By the time they got back, fixed everything and put the tire back on it was time to drive the 3 hours back home.
    Now I own the boat and trailer.

2. Buddy of mine. 17ft fiberglass fish and ski, 85hp motor, big and heavy. He had my 2 brothers and a couple girls in the boat. I was back at camp but could see them all on the water. Launched the boat and got across the lake, boat stopped, and I could see them checking something out towards the rear. They were about 1/4 mile from the ramp. Then they started high tailing it back to the ramp the boat was nose in the air , nearly 45 degrees and the rear end was close to submerging even with everyone up at the front. They forgot to put the plug in (left it in the truck) and their boat has no bilge pump. They got it back on the trailer with about 2 inches to spare. Otherwise the water would have started dumping into the rear.

3. Not a launching story, but, we were crappie fishing at Smithville in some heavy timber. 50hp Evinrude with less than 100 hours on it and a SS prop. Struck a stump in 8 feet of water going 5mph. Trimmed it up and the lower end was completely locked up. The starter couldn't crank it. I took the lid off and manually cranked it until the starter would finally engage it and "BOOM" the whole lower end just grenaded itself. Blew about a baseball size hole out the side and bits and pieces of gear and oil went everywhere. Luckily none of us had our face down there looking at it when I decided to start it.

4. Another not a launching story. Buddy above in the same boat with his grandfather saw 2 HUGE men on a 10-12ft jon boat get their anchor line wrapped around a bouy on a windy day. They came to try and help, no one had a knife to cut the rope and before they knew it the two fat men's boat had flipped and sunk. Now they were in the water with no life jackets, junk from the boat floating everywhere, etc.. My buddy tried to help them in his boat but they broke the aluminum ladder. He ended up tossing them life jackets and towing them from where they sunk to the shore cause they were too fat to beach themselves in his boat without a ladder. It was probably 200 feet he towed them he said.

5. My dad used to be in the boat business and has lots of stories he'll tell, many involve inexperienced boaters and the old roller trailers where instead of the wooden slats the boats sat on rollers. He sold the heck out of these but would always have someone come back for a fiberglass repair when they "accidently" launched their boat on the boat ramp.

11. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Hey! Great stories!:thumbsup: And BELIEVE me I know about those "old roller trailers" that is what we have. I wish that I could rig it up with wooden slats some kind of way.

12. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

oh dear .. our nautical history is quite bad ..

boat 1 .. just shy of 500 hp jet boat .. left in a *cold* area.. froze and busted the freeze plugs .. didnt notice that ..
    dam near sunk the boat at the lake ..

our "fishing" boat .. got it for really cheap .. and we know why .. hired a local redneck thats supposedly good with the engine on this boat to get it running .. he got it running alright .. got it to the lake .. put it in the water .. started up .. put it into drive stalled .. start it up .. drive .. stall .. CHIT .. and this is with decent winds that were pushing us across a large lake .. ended up with a non running boat across the lake , i had to walk all the way back to the truck along several miles of shore which my choice was walk along the rocky outstretch with sharp poky things, or the muddy edge .. wasnt a fun walk back..

and we have many more but the thought of bullets ripping thru the hull of the fishing boat are coming into my mind as i recolect these images

13. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

When I was a kid, our family had an 18' I/O runabout, which we pulled to the lake with a '69 Ford van with a 302, 3-speed on the column and a clutch pedal with about 36" of throw :supergrin: .

One day, we get to the boat ramp, and my sister and I get in the boat so I could drive it around to the dock after unloading. My Dad's job was to unhook the winch rope, and let my Mom know when to stop backing into the water. Understandably, my Mom is having a hard time backing the rig down the steep ramp. After a few attempts, my Dad gets impatient with her, tells her to get out of the van and let him show her how to back it down. Being angry, he's a little less than smooth, and forgot that he had already unhooked the winch rope. About the time he misses an attempt himself, he slammed the brakes a little hard, and suddenly my sister and I are looking at the sky. She's screaming and I'm telling her to shut up and hang on.

Then suddenly we were sitting nice and still......in the boat.....on the ramp......about 20' from the water.

Cars on the adjacent highway were stopping to gawk, pointing fingers and laughing. This served to piss off my Dad even further. A few kind souls stopped to offer assistance, but moving a 3,000 lb fiberglass boat would have been extremely difficult for even a dozen men.

So, my Dad goes back home, gets a couple of sheets of plywood, a hand truck and my sister and my skateboards. The handtruck lifted the stern enough to get some plywood under it, and a skateboard was placed on either side up towards the bow. With 5 or 6 men pushing, they were able to slide/roll it down the plywood and into the water.

Amazingly, there was only minor cosmetic damage to the gel coat under the stern. But our skateboard axles were permanently bent. Dad bought us new axles later.

14. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

Last year....major mishap.

We all stay at a friend's lakehouse on Lake Amistad in West Texas. He has a 10,000 acre ranch on the lake's edge.

Although my friend's home is on the water's edge, the lake is a State Park, so you can only launch at designated ramps.

We were following him back to the ranchhouse, all of us towing our boats with him in front, and we have to climb a pretty steep hill to get up out of the draw, and his 35' pontoon came off the back of the trailer..( I might be exaggerating slightly on the 35', but it is really a very big and heavy 1978 vintage pontoon boat, of at least 30')

What happened was the winch strap rotted, and snapped, and because it was a short haul from the State Park launch to the ranchhouse, he didn't use a safety chain.

For the record, none of us did either.

It took over an hour to "come-along" the pontoon back onto the trailer.. Luckily the trailer had a pivot-point and pin, and we were able to "unpin" the trailer and using the come-alongs and the ballast of 12 men, women and kids, we got it back on the trailer.

The only damage was a little ding on the aluminum pontoon, and a slightly bent skag on the motor..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. noway

noway

ouch.

I guess now you will use those safety chains ;)

16. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Double Ouch!:shocked:

17. bassman-dan

bassman-dan NRA Lifer

A dentist friend of mine pulled up to a public ramp and was preparing to back his boat in when an older gentleman flagged him down.
    The old gent asked him not to launch his boat. My friend asked why and the old timer pointed out into the water near the ramp.
    He said, "Do you see that radio antenna just barely sticking out of the water? That is where my truck, boat & trailer are submerged. I'm waiting on a trailer to come pull them out." :shocked: