close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Post your Best Crappie Lure/Rig

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by striderglock, Jun 24, 2004.

1. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

What is it? Mine is a 1/16th crappie jig pink head white body maribou, or a Bass assasin albino shad (light purplish/pearl) on 1/16th jig. Twitching a jig under a float is good for spring time spawning. Minnows if not fishing with jigs, especially at night.

2. noway

noway

1/16oz lead jig head with black & yellow body or chartreuse. All on a light spinning reel with 4lb or 6lb line. Caught 100s of crappie and plenty other panfish on this setup.

3. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

Black and pink is a killer too.

4. 357glocker

357glocker

I've always had the best luck with just using a minnow under a bobber. But I also had decent luck using a chartruse twisty tailed plastic on a small jig reeled in slowly 2ft under a bobber. Ultralite tackle is the only way to go!

5. BobRicks

BobRicks

I've had better luck with live minnows tight lined than I have with jigs. I have slaughtered them one time on jigs, but I guess I was in the right place at the right time.:)

6. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

When they're up shallow, mostly in the spring, this is my choice too. I've recently dropped from 8lb to 6lb line and lighter action rod, ultra lite is defenitely the way to go.

7. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

Putting a minnow on a bare jig head works great too, no leader to get tangled up either.
    Story of my life.;Q But that's why they call it fishing and not catching ;f

8. 357glocker

357glocker

I just went out a few days ago, and put on a silver meps spinner that has a minnow lure attached to the hook. I fished it as slow as the spinner would let me and about 4-5 ft down. I hammered the crappie for 2 hrs straight. Nothing real big a lot of 8-10" fish but it was constant action, and it was uncommon to not have atleast a hit or a follower each cast.

9. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

I need pictures!;G

10. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

I wish I had pics of a stringer of Crappies.:( If anybody else has some I'd like to see 'em.

11. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

8 lb line for crappies? ;P Either you know something I don't, or you just enjoyed using thick line for kicks?

12. AR15'em

AR15'em Roll Tide??

Depends on the time of year and clarity of water. The largest white perch I have caught (3lbs) came off of minnow, but I have caught plenty of two pounders off of Hal Flys and curly tail tube jigs. As far as colors are concerned, I have caught them off just about any color combination you can think of. I troll a lot in the early months, and sometimes the fish are very color-specific, so try various colors until you find one that works!