close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Post Office going to 5-day week. BFD. (RANT)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Skyhook, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Skyhook

Skyhook

Honestly, I cannot think why they just do not go to a 3-day week and make all positions part-time with no benefits.

No kidding, from the service I get and do not get, I doubt I would see much difference when we go to M,W,F service. Except the cookies-n-milk sessions in the back room of my local PO would have far fewer occupants.

:rant:

<off>

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  2. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

This just means our mailboxes will have even more junk mail for the legitimate stuff to get lost in.

3. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

I seriously doubt that the loss of Saturday delivery would adveresly impact much of anything.

4. Reignman

Reignman

For people who work m-f and are home on Saturday I am certain it will affect a great deal.

5. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Is this official???

That stinks. My work floater guy is pretty cool. I like him a lot. Would hate to see him go. Ditto for the floater chippy. She's nice, too. Really funny.

Maybe they'll make a retirement incentive to clear out the old-timers to keep jobs for these young'ins. My regular guy is about 60 and is ready to go if they would give him the years of service. A couple of guys going that way would give permenant routes to these hard-working floaters.

6. Skyhook

Skyhook

Dennis, no, it is not 'official' yet, but the chances look promising.

BTW, you have entertaining, super mail delivery? Good for you!

As for ditching the old wood for the new whipper-snappers.. my most serious recent difficulties have centered around those 'young 'uns'. They are there, it seems for the check, not the work and whether you get your mail, or someone else gets your mail seems to matter not a whit.

We have gotten to know our neighbors a bit better by doing the delivery of the mail we get which is clearly marked for others. I guess that counts for something, right?

Oh, and as for horror story-- how about two (2) 'lost' firearms?

7. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

This... some of us can't take time out in the day to drive to the post office if needed so the Saturday is when we get our business done with them.

8. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

It will delay the delivery of my Netflix movies, meaning the cost per movie will increase.
    (You pay a fixed fee a month. The faster the turnaround time, the more movies you get a month and the less the average cost per movie)

Other than that all my mail is just junk and a couple bills. They could deliver those once a month and save me walking to the mailbox.

Besides, the cost of postage is decreasing to..... right?
    They are decreasing service, so they have to decrease cost, right?:upeyes:

9. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

You know, a lot of people think the post office scene in MIB II was part of the movie. It was actually a documentary.

10. Skyhook

Skyhook

Well, there ya go. Why do we get so much unwanted mail? Because it is a revenue source for those who deliver. Countless times I have refused junk mail and even returned it to the window to no avail. I still get crap addressed to occupant which costs me to run it to the recycling dump. So, junk mail costs me and you way more than we need to spend several ways.. wages for the delivery personnel, funds for fueling the deliveries, trees cut down for the printing, then the transportation of the stuff in the dumps.

Again, it's engineered we lose, they win.

11. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

12. CAcop

CAcop

There have only been a few times when I actually went to the post office during business hours M-F. Usually I go to the post office in town that keeps its lobby open with a self help kiosk. Works for everything but the biggest packages.

13. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Doesn't your mailbox have a little red flag on the side of it to let your mail delivery person know there is something in there they need to take out and deliver elsewhere?

Aside from sending a large box, which I wouldn't do via USPS anyway, I can't think of one, single, reason to go to the post office. I can't actually remember the last time I was in a post office.

14. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Raise the stamp price, then cut the service. Makes sense to me. :upeyes:

15. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Great idea if you want your identity stolen.

Word to all: Your letter to great aunt Mabel is fine for your mailbox. Bills, CHECKS, etc., should NOT be put in your mail box with the little flag up. That little flag tells identity thieves WHO has personal info in their mailboxes.

16. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

So why can UPS - FedX and such make a profit delivering mail, but the USPS can't. .

You think the government workers unions, pensions and benefits might have something to do with this?

17. Skyhook

Skyhook

Interesting.

Back when I lived in a town, my next door neighbor had a diagnosed disease which allowed him unlimited- unlimited- sick leave from the local post office. That disease? Alcoholism. Yup, for years and years, until the 'disease' killed him, he could be found almost daily wallowing about in a drunken stupor, receiving deliveries of Black Velvet via taxi.

His union encouraged that, enabled him, and the expense was distributed amongst the rest of us who worked hard to get ahead.

18. Marine8541

Marine8541 iseedeadpeople

You think that identity thieves are fooled by those who don't use the red flag?

How about don't use any mail box that anyone but you or an authorized person can access.

I'm glad the PO is cutting down on hours. I'd also favor a four day work week for them.

19. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

I'm 44 years old and have yet to have an issue with the USPS. What I've sent has always been delivered, and what's been sent to me has always arrived.

I couldn't care less whether they stop Saturday postal services.

20. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Who in the hell still pays their bills with paper and mail? That's just crazy talk.

Your advice is spot on though.