Post #1000

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by trifecta, Feb 24, 2010.

1. trifecta

trifecta

Holy cow! I spend too much time on here. Thanks for letting me hang out here.
    For post #1000, I thought I would start a thread about personal heroes, or just people we deeply respect. As I have made it to 1000 posts without really crapping on anyone else’s thread, I’ll ask the same courtesy. If somebody has a different hero than you, just leave it alone and post yours.

I’ll start with my Scoutmaster back in the day. His name was Roy and he was in his 60’s I think at the time. He was retired from the US Forest Service and didn’t have any boys in the troop. He had more energy than most people half his age and had an unending willingness to help boys learn how to be men. It was a military town, so many of the dads would be out of town for extended periods, so he was a treasure for that community.

Roger Staubach, quarterback for my favorite childhood football team. Not just because he was a great QB, but because he honored his deal with the Navy, knowing it was costing him money, fame, and possibly his entire pro football career. It’s no real surprise he found further success after football and I was happy to find he was actually a nice guy when I met him years later.

Ronald Reagan. Forget his politics if you don’t like them. The man played the part of President better than anyone in my lifetime. I don’t think his writer’s ability to produce and his ability to give a speech will ever be duplicated. I remember feeling like the country was kind of in an emotional funk or depression after Vietnam and through the Carter years. With Reagan in office, pride came back and the flag meant something again.

Pat Tillman. To me, many pro athletes are overpaid knuckleheads with no hope of being successful without sports. Some of them even manage to mess up their sports career with drugs and other bad decisions. Tillman was a great athlete, but more importantly, a great person. He made a huge sacrifice by leaving pro sports, long before he made the ultimate sacrifice in service to his country.

Lt. Dennis Mojica, FDNY. Most likely, none of you know his name. He was one of the 343 FDNY members lost on 9/11. I had a chance to meet him and we did a little training once. I heard his story of the first World Trade attack. To me he embodies all those anonymous public servants who get up, go to work, and know that today could be the day they give it all.

I have a friend we will just call T. He dated a girl several years ago who had a toddler aged son. The son did not belong to T and the child’s dad was not at all in the picture. Over several years of dating, the child called and thought of him as dad. Eventually, the dating relationship ended. The kid still calls him dad, T still picks him up from school sometimes, helps provide for him and coaches his teams. Sometimes, all it takes to be a hero is being a dad to a kid. So many real dads don’t provide a good role model for their kids, so it is so cool to see T being just the opposite.

Lastly, a shout out to Okie, a man who managed to become mayor of GT, while being an admitted 1911 guy. It just shows, anyone really can rise to the top.

I could add more, and maybe I will later. For now, speak up GT and post your stories.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. mechanica

mechanica Texazonan.

I agree wholeheartedly on Tillman. And the rest of those who have given their lives for our country. :patriot:

Congrats on your milestone. And thanks for your help in my other threads, trifecta.

3. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

Great milestone my friend! :wavey:

4. RioKid

RioKid

Congratulations on #1000 and you have a very good list of heroes.:wavey:

5. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Good job on the 1k.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Just think, that would've taken okie about 30 days...lol :)

Congrats

7. trifecta

trifecta

June is coming quick my friend. Glad to help you out.

8. trifecta

trifecta

That's for sure but I have no future in politics so I don't have as much to say.:supergrin:

9. okie

okie GT Mayor

Congrats on the 1k my friend. John Moses Browning is my hero:patriot: