Possibly losing my job

Discussion in 'Business Forum' started by Border Bandit 32, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Border Bandit 32

Border Bandit 32

well I am a college educated 47 yr old white guy and I was just told my position at my local hospital may be eliminated
    I am a project manager for the plant ops department

I have a real estate license but I live in a community of about 50k, don't know if I can make a living selling real estate
    I have always been afraid of risk and stuck to salary type jobs

Any advice from some of you guys that have been where I am ???

2. Border Bandit 32

Border Bandit 32

3. OMCHamlin

OMCHamlin

So I am the contractor logistics manager at a smallish Navy base here on the east coast. As of COB 30 June, I will become a free agent, having been laid off due to contract loss. I was picked up on the winning contract, but that was rejected by the government because I don't have a degree. The logistics manager's resume that was originally submitted with the winning proposal (like 11 months ago) showed him as having a degree (bachelors, I think?) and the .gov said "hey, we awarded your company this contract based on these people having these degrees, so any substitutions must be of equal or greater standing"

No advice to give, I took this job right after I retired from the Navy back in '06, and I have never been without a job since 1983 (or actually, a little earlier).

My attitude? Hey, I was looking when I found this job, I'll find another...

n2g likes this.
  4. Vodoun da Vinci

Vodoun da Vinci

I ran a consumer electronics repair outfit for 20 years when that completely dried up and vanished in 1999...I was 44. Found a job in the Audio Visual installation and service industry and have changed jobs 3X between 2000 and 2016. I have my one year review this afternoon and I'm hoping (should get) a $1.50 and hour raise.

This is the new normal.....folks work for 1 - 7 years and then either the job ends or you move along. I'm 60+ right now and holding on with bloody fingernails till I can retire in July of 2022.

Retrain and keep moving...it's yer only hope. There ain't going to be "more jobs" in coming years. I also have a CDL...they are hiring truck drivers all over America. Pay is pretty good but it's a tough and dangerous gig. Still, it's my ace in the hole. I can always drive and keep food on the table.

You might check that out.

VooDoo

5. RCJH

RCJH

Sorry to hear the potential bad news. Based on the small population of the city you're in.. You may have to consider moving to a larger city in TX for more opportunities. Best wishes and good luck!

6. Border Bandit 32

Border Bandit 32

That is what I am thinking I may have to do, and I am NOT a big city type person at all

RCJH likes this.
  7. RCJH

RCJH

Hang in there..Blessings come in all shapes and sizes..Upon venturing to greener pastures, you may be surprised what opportunities come your way if you apply yourself in the job hunting process..

n2g and nursetim like this.
  8. Border Bandit 32

Border Bandit 32

thanks for that i needed it

RCJH likes this.
  9. VaeInimicus

VaeInimicus

When you move on from a place you have been for so long, it is a bit overwhelming but there are always greener pastures. After I left the military, even though I had been prepping and interviewing 2 months out before getting out I still was unemployed for 2 months - it is not the longest period of time, but I made sure to keep applying myself to finding jobs, talking to employers, during market research and tailoring resumes/cover letters.

Just keep yourself busy and focused, I would start looking for a job ASAP, and don't be afraid to tear roots and move on somewhere - I went from Clarksville TN to Columbus OH at a moment's notice, you will find the right job you just can't get complacent and always move forward.

Also, feel free to shoot me a message if you want to talk some over some PM things, I may have a few leads if you don't mind getting out of your comfort zone a little.

10. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Change sucks but some times better things happen.
    Good luck to you!

n2g likes this.
  11. jsm11weld

jsm11weld

Move...

You should be able to pick up a PM job somewhere IMO...

Sorry to hear of your luck.

12. lebyrn2

lebyrn2 lebyrn2

Take a look at a company called Cognizant. We are currently trying to hire for hundreds of positions some of which are PMs. You could work remote and travel to client sites as needed. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Border Bandit 32

Border Bandit 32

What are PM's ????

14. VaeInimicus

VaeInimicus

Project Managers - like you!

15. Border Bandit 32

Border Bandit 32

duh... sorry just alot going on in my head right now
    i also have my real eatate salesman license too

16. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I hear you. Seems like the new normal is 3-5 years and move on. Look at local county state gov. Have you got your PMP?

Polish your LinkedIn account with a sharp professional photo and start doing coffee with people.

Have any HR recruiter friends? They will pass your resume around for fast visibility.

Age 53 myself and constantly wondering will I stay because things tend to change and sometimes companies damage themselves. Cant sit andwatch.

Hang in there - you are with friends here.

17. Skrivus

Skrivus

While a big city is a large change, maybe look at a suburb town of a big city. I got laid off in March, in the suburbs of a major city (Chicago) but live too far out from the city to commute easily. There's lots of companies in suburbs of big cities so I'm just applying around, improving my resume, and practicing my interviewing skills.