close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Possibly getting a Norinco SKS

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by hybridsquirrel, Feb 18, 2010.

1. hybridsquirrel

hybridsquirrel

What should I be looking for as far as overall quality? It has a scope, but no bayonet with matching numbers. What is a good price? Are there high capacity mags for it? Or would I have to use stripper clips? Is there a lot of after market support for these guns? Stocks, scopes, rails, ect? Sorry for all the questions, the only rifle I own is a 10/22 and it is bone stock.

2. unit1069

unit1069

Do you want it for show or just a fun range gun? Hunting? There's a lot of missing info in your post.

3. AdobeGlock

AdobeGlock

My Norinco SKS has been a really nice little rifle. Completely reliable and holds minute-of-egg groups at 75 yards with open sights. Once I played with the stripped clips, I was surprised how fast and easy it was to reload very fast.

4. hybridsquirrel

hybridsquirrel

what else would you like to know? Most likely just a range/show gun. But I don't want to get ripped off on price, They are asking $250, decent wood condition but no bayonet and a cheap scope.

I will definitely be modifying it with aftermarket parts if i decide to get it.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  5. ju993rnaut

ju993rnaut

Ive got a russian sks and Ive heard nothing but bad things about the 30rnd mags. I stick to the stripper clips.

6. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

ETA: Dammit, type too slow. $250 is great for an SKS. Break it down and look at anything combustion gas touches, if there's any corrosion, pass on it. Corrosive ammo still fairly common in that caliber.

Norinco SKS is an okay gun, I have a couple of them. I don't believe any of them came with a bayonet, as to my knowledge Norinco is a civilian manufacturer, not military. Some funky import laws make for full military guns being curio and relic, but aftermarket civilian production of an assault rifle must be for "sporting purposes," which precludes a bayonet. At least AFAIK. A few of them came from the factory equipped to take AK mags, aftermarket conversions to the same end are hit and miss as far as reliability. Mine are good for a 5" or so group at 100 yards w/ open sights, completely adequate for a deer gun. 7.62 is legal for Elk here in Oregon, while .223 is not. At 200 yards don't bother, you'll have to aim two feet above your target. I've never bothered with a scope, for my use for the gun I don't feel that it's necessary, but would be a fragile liability. There's decent aftermarket support from what I've seen, but I honestly haven't looked into it much. I paid less than $200 years ago, but today I think they run $300-$400 in used condition and well above that brand-new unfired.

If you want a fun plinker or a SHTF gun, an SKS or an AK /w a couple cases of Wolf is a good idea. Wolf 7.62x39 can be found for $240/1000rds, delivered.

If you want a hunting rifle I'd pony up a bit more; I just bought a Weatherby Vanguard in .223. With the scope(Bushnell 3-9x40), mounts, rings, sling, and soft case it came to just under $600, and the same gun is available in .308. Much more accurate(written factory warranty of 1.5" groups @ 100 yards w/ premium ammo), much more range, and the .308 is every bit as versatile as the .30-06. Probably be near $600 for the SKS once you fab up mounts and buy the scope, pin the magazine to 5 rounds, etc.

7. hybridsquirrel

hybridsquirrel

Interesting, I didn't know they were the civilian manufacturer I thought they were surplus guns from china. But i'm not looking for a hunting rifle, just target shooting and for fun. interesting about the AK mags, I might just pitch out another 150 and get an AK. But that 250 sounded like such a good deal, but if it doesn't take Ak mags i might pass. Ill ask the guys at the shop tomorrow, don't think they will let me disassemble it to check for corrosion though =\

8. Cameronswmp9

Cameronswmp9

I had an SKS that came with a 30 round detachable mag. From what I have heard, it was the only one on the planet that fed reliably. It sold with the gun just last night, along with a couple other detachable mags that would barely stay in the gun.

Stripper clips all the way, with the 10 round mags are the best way to go.

9. Novocaine

Novocaine

PC Norincos were shipped with a bayonet in a box. It just wasn't attached to a rifle. The only Norinco SKS I have an experience with is my Paratrooper, great rifle. $250 is a very good price, bayonet or no bayonet.

10. Mercedesrover

Mercedesrover

I have a Norinco SKS-M. The "M" was a shortened barrel (16") with no bayonet lug that took AK mags from the factory. It was a civilian rifle though it's often referred to as a Paratrooper model. I really like the M model as it's shorter than a standard SKS and it takes a removable magazine.

I have a Tech Sights rear peep site. Don't bother with a scope. For a truck gun, plinker and 100-yard deer gun they're a good choice.

11. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

Agreed.

It's safe to say that you are NOT a collector so I wouldn't worry about original parts too much. There are a lot of aftermarket parts available for the SKS and Tapco makes some of the best. If you want the gun for hunting I would make sure that the bore is still in good shape . If you want it for HD or range use then you really don't need to do too much to it.

I have six SKS' (including two Norincos) and they are all fine weapons. Only one of them (a Yugo) has been "modernized" - the rest are stock and worth much more than I paid for them.

Check out Tapco, I think that it the way to go.

TGG

[​IMG]

The Norincos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Tapco Yugo:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. sarge83

sarge83

If you are getting a norinco look for the magazine. Is it stock or a duckbilled detachable? If it's a duckbilled, it's been bubbed to take the duckbilled mag. I have one, and if you get a zytel mag, or the ones with the star on them, they will work pretty well.

If you find a nornico M or D model they will take AK mags, you will pay more but it's worth it.

I prefer the 10 rd magazine with the stripper clips for reliability.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  13. space_weazel

space_weazel

Get One !

The only thing to remember though is, when you take it out the first time make sure you clean it well including stripping the bolt. and then load one round in it, point it down and rack it, you need to make sure it doesn't slam fire, I bought a Norinco SKS Para, and I was not being careful enough and first rack it launched 3 rounds to god knows where because I was stupid (out in the middle of the woods a good 30 miles from civ, but still). If it does slam fire you can get a new FP here, http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm there is also info here about the issue.

14. mikeyU

mikeyU

If you want detachable mags, get an AK, I haven't had good luck with detachable sks mags. Maybe if you had a tapco stock and used tapco mags, that may be an exception. I would love to find an sks-d or sks-m, missed my chance by minutes a couple months ago.

15. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Do not attempt to stick your finger into the hole in the end of the buttstock.
    My Dad found out just how sharp it was.

16. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Different things in norinco rifles.With all the variations, they also came into this country with different barrels. There were 2 types. A screw in barrel that threaded into a receiver and a pin in barrel that was pinned into the receiver much the same ak variants are. There is also those with all milled parts and those with mixed parts both milled and stamped. For just a shooter,any variation is fun.With practice, you can zip 10 rounds in with a stripper clip quickly.If you want detachable 20+ capacity mags, then probably an sks isnt the rifle you want unless you want the "M" model made to take ak mags.

My first sks was an all milled norinco, until it started slam firing. It went back to the dealer and I bought the Russian one.I still have and enjoy my Russian made sks carbine,had it for 25 yrs now.

17. zebramochaman

zebramochaman

I own two of the ChiCom SKS's. They are fun guns. I would not pay more than $300 for one with a decent scope or $250 with the iron sights.
    The Chinese variants, interestingly, are the only SKS's that are not considered Curio and Relics because the Chinese have not disclosed their production records. However, these guns are considered to be as accurate as the original Russians.
    As mentioned in other posts, there are tons of aftermarket accessories for this rifle. Tapco makes some of the best accessories. You can go tactical and add high cap mags, modernize with a Monte Carlo type stock, or stick with the traditional wood stock with the standard 10 round box mag. (there are 20 & 30 round box mags out there).
    Ammo is cheap. I avoid the corrosive stuff b/c I sometimes do not have time to clean my guns immediately after I come home from the range (a must if you shoot the corrosive stuff). I have been able to get the non corrosive ammo for as little as $0.27 per round.
    Having said that, the ChiCom SKS's have chromed barrels (the only SKS variants that are not chromed are the Yugos).
    An excellent site for SKS accessories is tickbite.com (Davids Collectables).
    I recently bought a compensator, scope/mount and a broken shell extractor from this site for my second SKS ChiCom from this site at very affordable prices.
    I think you would be very happy buying an SKS as your second rifle.
    I hope this helps. Enjoy the sport and shoot safe.

18. hybridsquirrel

hybridsquirrel

Thanks for all the info, wow that was a lot to read. I was stuck plowing snow at the airport all weekend. When I went to my LGS yesterday it had already sold, and had another listed at $375, which is the same price as some of the century arms ak-47s (i think they were century arms). So I think I will be picking up an AK this week sometime. I like the idea of detachable mags over stripper clips. I will keep my eye out for a good deal on one, it sounds like they would be a blast to shoot and I am definitely into modifying my firearms.

edit: can someone recommend a good online site to keep an eye out for gun deals? Impactguns is the only one I know of.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  19. wavetrain75

wavetrain75 Useless Member

Buy it.
    Take off the scope.
    Use stripper clips.
    Put 100,000 rounds through it and pass it along to your kids.

SKSs are pretty much perfect the way they were built, anything you do to them will make them less reliable or just be a waste of time and money. Scopes and 30 round mags don't work well on an SKS.

Classic Arms is a good one for AK type rifles. They're a little like a flea market, you never know what you might find.

20. hybridsquirrel

hybridsquirrel

Took a look over at Classic Arms, their website is a little hard to figure out though. Their prices are pretty good, cheaper than my LGS so I might just buy from there in the future :)