Glock Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Devil Dog
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to loading rifle cartridges. I have been having some issues with my .223 loads getting stuck in chamber before ignition. I bought a case gauge and have found out that most of them will not drop in flush with the gauge,and even the ones that do will not drop free when turning gauge upside down. Would simply tightening the resizing die help? Or could there be an issue with the die?

· Devil Dog
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come to find out my resize die wasn't screwed down enough.As if that wasnt enough,my Lee trimmer gauge was to long and wasn't trimming any brass under 1.760. I filed that down and all seems to be well.

· Registered
2,024 Posts
I read your other thread before I read this one. You're on the right track.

Ralph Waldo Emerson once said "Reloading is a journey, not a destination".

Okay, maybe that's not exactly what he said, but it's what he would have said if he were a handloader.........

Anyway, enjoy the journey!!

· Registered
1,250 Posts
I trim my 223 brass back to 1.740

I only have to do that once. If they need to be trimmed again, it is time to junk them.
That's not quite correct. It depends in what rifle you shoot them in. Remember brass will stretch when fired. But then again, it's your brass so you can do whatever you want.

· Ninja
2,786 Posts
That's not quite correct. It depends in what rifle you shoot them in. Remember brass will stretch when fired. But then again, it's your brass so you can do whatever you want.
Oh no, it is absolutely 100% correct. For me, in my world.

I trim *my* 223 brass back to 1.740. This is approx .010 below trim length in most manuals. It is exactly what I do.

It will take more than a few firings to get grow .020 and get close to trim length again. By that time I just assume it is getting a little thin in the web area. Rather than separate a head and leave the rest in the chamber, I just toss them.

In a bolt gun I might get a few more reloads than out of a gas gun, but I take a lot more time reloading my bolt gun ammo.

Sometimes I even trim my 223 brass back to 1.355 and put a cute little 30 caliber shoulder on there and call it 300 Whisper.

· Wood butcher
2,463 Posts
While I agree that repeated firings can lengthen brass, it isn't as much as a factor as full length sizing (expander coming out of the case). If you think about it, brass that is consistently neck sized lasts longer and doesn't have to be trimmed nearly as much.

· Registered
534 Posts
Never, in 40 years, have I had any problem with the expander plug in any sizing die lengthening a bottleneck case. All have happened upon firing.
Case expansion is partly/mostly due to head space that allows the shoulder to move forward and the case head to move back and some brass must stretch to allow that. Thus, if you don't move the shoulder back (zero head space), expansion is greatly reduced.
I always partially re-size for semi-autos such that the shoulder is only moved back a few thousandths so the case can chamber. Cases still stretch, but I get 4-6 firings in between trimming.

· Wood butcher
2,463 Posts
Never, in 40 years, have I had any problem with the expander plug in any sizing die lengthening a bottleneck case. All have happened upon firing.
Case expansion is partly/mostly due to head space that allows the shoulder to move forward and the case head to move back and some brass must stretch to allow that. Thus, if you don't move the shoulder back (zero head space), expansion is greatly reduced.
I always partially re-size for semi-autos such that the shoulder is only moved back a few thousandths so the case can chamber. Cases still stretch, but I get 4-6 firings in between trimming.
I agree in regard to full length sizing for semi-autos, but we just disagree about sizing aiding in a lengthened case. I have only slightly less time behind a loader than you and have many times measured a case that is within spec and after resizing, a bit more.

You have your opinion and I can respect that - we can simply disagree without my trying to change your mind or you mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.