Glock Talk banner

Possible issue with frame? (first time shooting G17)

6460 Views 45 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  harold63
Hey guys.
Took my new Glock 17 to the range today for the first time. First time glock owner, first time shooting it.

No issues as far as failures or anything, shot great.
I was shooting all factory ammo. Blazer brass and 145 grain Gold Dots.
I put about 120 rounds through it today. No rapid fire or anything like that.

I just got it home to clean it, and after taking it apart, I noticed two little chips of plastic missing on the frame. Symmetrical (both missing, same size, on both sides).

I don't remember seeing this when I had it apart before shooting it.

Is this something that is normal with Glocks? I'm hoping it is, but it doesn't look like something normal.

Hopefully these photos show what I'm talking about.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a glock because of the durability and reliability...and I shoot it once and it starts falling apart...so incredibly upset right now.

I've had so many issues with other brands, I though a Glock would be worry free.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mean, is there something I did wrong or is there something inheritantly wrong with the gun? I don't want to do this again if I buy another glock or get this one fixed.

Ugh...now I remember why I haven't owned a glock yet. I never though I would have an issue the first time at the range.

Also, if you try to submit the warranty form or send a question on the glock website it says server error every single time....

· Registered
59,814 Posts
If it shot without problems I would continue shooting it and see if they change/get bigger/spread. My guess is it might not be an issue for a few thousand rounds.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it shot without problems I would continue shooting it and see if they change/get bigger/spread. My guess is it might not be an issue for a few thousand rounds.
Well I didn't really buy a glock so it was good for a couple thousand rounds.

I have the worst friggin luck with guns I swear.

I just need to know what caused this. If somehow I did something...then I don't really want to stick with glocks at all. I tried one out so I wouldn't have to stress about it.

But if this is a fluke maybe I'll just get it fixed and buy a different one or something.

Was so excited when I picked this up 2 days ago. I thought I was hooked on glocks.

· Czech Sensation
139 Posts
It's fine, only cosmetic. if it changes (like a crack growing on a windshield), THEN I would contact Glock. Otherwise just shoot it. If you demand a new frame, you won't get another DE frame for certain.

· Registered
1,556 Posts
I bought a glock because of the durability and reliability...and I shoot it once and it starts falling apart...so incredibly upset right now.

I've had so many issues with other brands, I though a Glock would be worry free.
Looks like a defect in the coating to me. I don't think there's anything wrong with the frame.
s45

· Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys.
Took my new Glock 17 to the range today for the first time. First time glock owner, first time shooting it.

No issues as far as failures or anything, shot great.
I was shooting all factory ammo. Blazer brass and 145 grain Gold Dots.
I put about 120 rounds through it today. No rapid fire or anything like that.

I just got it home to clean it, and after taking it apart, I noticed two little chips of plastic missing on the frame. Symmetrical (both missing, same size, on both sides).

I don't remember seeing this when I had it apart before shooting it.

Is this something that is normal with Glocks? I'm hoping it is, but it doesn't look like something normal.

Hopefully these photos show what I'm talking about.

Had same mark on my dark earth 27 same place sent to glock they said it was a molding mark wouldn't cause any problems.

· MacGyver
10,828 Posts
Relax, symetrical means you were not looking for problems before you shot it, then you were more observant of details afterwards.

I can say with 99% confidence (my honest personal opinion, of course), that there is nothing wrong with those features in your frame, and it will last as long as any other Glock, under the same usage. There is a metal clip that adds structural frame support, buried under the polymer in that area. It is very common to have "irregularities" in that area from the manufacturing process of the frames (molding the plastic around the metal piece)- cosmetic only, and won't affect function. If you own enough Glocks, you will see these molding imperfections in that area.

Enjoy you gun, and don't sweat it.

· Registered
6 Posts
Was it actual chips in the plastic like in my photos?
Is the FDE a coating on top of a regular frame? I though it was just a different color plastic/polymer.
Yes just like yours in the picture but glock did say if wasn't happy they would change to a black frame. I just left it the way it is if they say it's ok. Been shooting it ever since the mark hasn't changed

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Relax, symetrical means you were not looking for problems before you shot it, then you were more observant of details afterwards.

I can say with 99% confidence (my honest personal opinion, of course), that there is nothing wrong with those features in your frame, and it will last as long as any other Glock, under the same usage. There is a metal clip that adds structural frame support, buried under the polymer in that area. It is very common to have "irregularities" in that area from the manufacturing process of the frames (molding the plastic around the metal piece)- cosmetic only, and won't affect function. If you own enough Glocks, you will see these molding imperfections in that area.

Enjoy you gun, and don't sweat it.

Sorry...I know I'm overreacting a bit here.
I have gone through a string of "defective" guns recently. All new from the factory.
I was never into Glocks, but I figured, well, if I buy a Glock there is no way anything will be wrong right from the factory!

So I freaked out a bit.
Also, half the posts here say send it back to Glock...so that made me worried.

On a side note, why won't Glock replace an FDE frame with an FDE frame? It's that color from the factory...that certainly doesn't seem right.

· Registered
6 Posts
Sorry...I know I'm overreacting a bit here.
I have gone through a string of "defective" guns recently. All new from the factory.
I was never into Glocks, but I figured, well, if I buy a Glock there is no way anything will be wrong right from the factory!

So I freaked out a bit.
Also, half the posts here say send it back to Glock...so that made me worried.

On a side note, why won't Glock replace an FDE frame with an FDE frame? It's that color from the factory...that certainly doesn't seem right.
Iii
Thanks!
Did they say if this was specifically an issue with the FDE frames?
Thanks!
Did they say if this was specifically an issue with the FDE frames?
They told me it happens on the black frames also it's just more noticeable on lighter frame

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I tend to be overly meticulous with my guns.
From what I have heard about Glocks...it just seems odd that this isn't a problem that they have fixed.

Also, I wouldn't have expected to see that kind of wear after only 100 or so rounds. (Unless that's just how it was from the factory).

It might take me a bit to get over it, but I'm sure I will!
At the end of the day, I just want a gun that's safe and shoots when I pull the trigger.
If these chips in the finish don't compromise that, I'm sure I can get over it!

· Registered
103 Posts
I don't think it is a problem. The "flaw" on my gun looks the same as yours. Maybe a spot where air in the molds vents or something like that.

I've had my G17 for about three years and it has 20k rounds through it. I put on my reading glasses, grabbed a flashlight and saw the boo boo for the first time after reading this post

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.