close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Possible Impossible Request

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BigJohn83, Feb 1, 2006.

1. BigJohn83

BigJohn83

Alright, so I have what I see to be a strange problem, and a bit complicated to explain. Without going into too many specifics, I am working on something here that involves the creation of many (hundreds of) files on my computer. I have no control over how the files are named, however they are in the following format: "01 101 XXXXX" with "XXXX" being the part of the filename I wish to keep.

I need a way to delete the first 7 characters of each filename, while preserving everything else, as the first 7 characters are seemingly random, or at least useless to me in this application, and make it impossible to organize/alphabetize the files. My fingers and the delete button are becoming much worse for the wear by doing each of these individually. Is there a way to remove the first 7 characters from each of these filenames in a batch? Thank you much for your help.

-John

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

3. Toyman

Toyman

You should be able to find a renamer that will work in the list that David referenced on snapfiles, however, if you can't, let me know and I can code something in a few minutes.

4. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

Regular expressions... the bane of my existence. Powerful, but confusing to all but the Toyman's among us. ;)

5. BigJohn83

BigJohn83