Possible charges against Atlanta cop.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 'Ol Grandad, Jun 15, 2020.

1. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

NoJoy and B C like this.
  2. Jonesee

Jonesee

The Medical Examiner noted cause of death as: Homicide
    Pretty much guarantees charges will be brought.

From what I read, 3 shots fired, 2 hit the guy in the back, 1 missed.

3. B C

B C

And I'm sure he was convinced to make that determination.

4. PBCounty

PBCounty

Isn't homicide a general term used any time a human is killed by another human? With no fault or liability imparted? I thought every police shooting (resulting in death) was considered a homicide.

astepup, GPalmer, tacit mesa and 37 others like this.
  5. RenoF250

RenoF250

Does not seem like the cleanest shooting at all but I can see why the cop reacted as he did.

Ahmid, slym2none and Jonesee like this.
  6. Jonesee

Jonesee

You may be right, Maybe an attorney will chime in.

Wasatch, rangerjd and B C like this.
  7. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    This is correct.

spork, AGF0526, pblanc and 9 others like this.
  8. sasqwatch2

sasqwatch2

This is correct.

spork, rangerjd, TBO and 1 other person like this.
  9. mercs50

mercs50

All officer involved shooting that result in death are ruled homicides. The investigation determines weather it was justified or not.

Caver 60, n2g, ThomasM4 and 6 others like this.
  10. pgg00

pgg00

Homicide just means it was caused by another. it does not determine fault, or if justified. Usually we will see causes of death in autopsies listed as homicide, suicide, accidental (over doses are listed as this), or natural causes

Caver 60, spork, n2g and 5 others like this.
  11. seamaster

seamaster

I’ve stated here many times now - if you watch both body can videos in their entirety (they are long), plus the parking lot footage you get very good record of what happened.

My typical default position is to side with law enforcement but on this one I don’t.

Thankfully body cams are standard equipment today! Complete the investigate, and see what comes of it.

I’ve owned guns for self defense my entire life and I can sincerely say that I absolutely do not want to ever use one for that.

I’ve been thru many pistol, carbine, and precision rifle courses, (years worth) but deep inside I do no want to use them for that. It goes against how I feel about humans and I’m fully aware that some people just suck!

I read many comments about this case and they overwhelmingly show how easily they justify killing someone. I believe deep down that many feel the same as I do but from the comments you sure wouldn’t know it.

I wish everyone a peaceful sleep, and a better day tomorrow.

Jonesee and redrick like this.
  12. Captain Steinbrenner

Captain Steinbrenner

Murder and homicide are not the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n2g, treg and FullClip like this.
  13. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    All murders are homicides, but not all homicides are murders...

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

14. Captain Steinbrenner

Captain Steinbrenner

Exactly, I was referring charges wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

And as has been pointed out to you on every thread regarding Reyshaud Brooks you have posted these same opinions...

Mr Brooks, who has a history of poor choices in the criminal justice system, made another series of them here by violently resisting arrest, disarming an officer, and while fleeing attempting to use that weapon to incapacitate legally pursuing officers. His actions resulted in the legal use of deadly force against him. His death is the result of the choices he made, right there on all the tape you cite.

Your feelings are irrelevant and your understanding of the use of force by law enforcement apparently wasn't covered in the "years " of training for yourself that you allege.

Hope you have a great day yourself, but endlessly repeating a flawed analysis doesn't do anything except repeat a flawed analysis.

That's what the MSM has been doing throughout these events.

JimP, Caver 60, TBO and 11 others like this.
  16. Hicksville Kid

Hicksville Kid

This from Second City Cop:
    • A TALE OF TWO INCIDENTS by The Atlanta DA's Office and the Atlanta Mayor.

Incident 1) 5 Atlanta Police Officers fired last week for using a taser to remove two college students from a car. Officers were fired because the Atlanta District Attorney's Office deemed the Officer's use of the taser was DEADLY PHYSICAL FORCE.

Incident 2) A suspect who failed a field sobriety test and deemed Driving While Intoxicated resists arrest, fights with police, steals the officers taser (robbery) and escapes. During the pursuit, the suspect turns and fires the taser at the officer's head and was shot and eventually dies. The Atlanta mayor calls for the Officer to be fired because he used deadly physical force against a taser.

BURNING QUESTION: Why is using a taser considered Deadly Physical Force when it's used by a police officer but not Deadly Physical Force when used against a police officer by a suspect?

ked, Caver 60, TBO and 13 others like this.
  17. dx_caliber

dx_caliber

Can't wait to see how this will be prosecuted. They charged the APD college incident officers with aggravated assault for pointing their tasers at the students. They now may charge the officer in the second APD incident for using deadly force when one was actually fired at him? You cannot have it both ways.

Caver 60, TBO, AGF0526 and 2 others like this.
  18. dx_caliber

dx_caliber

Whether or not the fact the taser is considered deadly force isn't the driving justification for the use of force in this case. A taser is a tool that incapacitates its target. An incapacitated officer relinquishes his firearm, which then becomes a deadly force situation. It's pretty much universal the country over that deadly force is taught against any use of force that could incapacitate an officer.

ETA: Also, properly used (i.e. trained) in the use of the taser and the risk for any sort of long term injury/death is exceedingly small. However, in the hands of someone not trained and wishing to do you harm, the risk of death is greatly increased. A single pull of the taser's trigger delivers a single 5-second charge. However, if the trigger is held, a continuous exposure is delivered. Continuous exposure or several rapid deliveries in quick succession greatly increases the chances a deadly cardiac event could be triggered.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    Caver 60 and RF7126 like this.
  19. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Lets see...….Breaking the Law, intoxicated, resisting lawful arrest, fleeing, taking officers weapon, discharging weapon at Officers, ……………….yep, Atlanta Cop will be bar-b-qued.

20. unit1069

unit1069

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in recent years haven't Black Lives Matter and other "progressive" groups demanded that TASERS be discontinued because they are potentially lethal devices?

I haven't hear or read a single sentence about the potential of TASERS to cause death by anyone in the Raging Media with regard to Rayshard Brooks's use of it to escape from police custody. I do expect to hear at least one media bimbo of either sex ask why pursuing police didn't just "shoot the TASTER out of his hand".