close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Portugal cut drug abuse by 50% in 10 yrs.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tat2guy, Feb 13, 2012.

1. tat2guy

tat2guy NRA Life Member Silver Member

2. Saber99

Saber99

Huh, you don't say......

3. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Haven't you read what all the GT cops say? This is impossible!!

4. PawDog

PawDog NRA Member

Portugal population 10,642,841. Comparable to one large US city, Los Angeles, CA. at around 9,800,000.

It shouldn't be hard to identify and "treat" a couple hundred thousand addicts in such a small country, but would be virtually impossible to do so with the US population sitting around 330,000,000.

Huge difference.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  5. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

The FDA clears pharmaceuticals on a sample of a few hundred to a few thousand.

But a sample of 10,000,000 isn't enough for some folks.

6. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

7. Saber99

Saber99

Your right it's SOOO much easier to try and control the individual behavior of every single American and make sure none of them are using drugs in the first place and to try and catch every single one who does whether they do it responsibly or not, yeah that sounds like a much easier and cost effective approach.

Their government is also how many magnitudes smaller than ours? They seem able to do it despite having far fewer resources and manpower than our government.

8. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

9. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

That's not what Portugal says.

"Lifetime use of illicit drugs increased from 7.8% to 12%, lifetime use of cannabis increased from 7.6% to 11.7%, cocaine from 0.9% to 1.9%, ecstasy from 0.7% to 1.3%, and heroin from 0.7% to 1.1%[13]" Yeah, that's from wiki, but the footnote takes you to a Portuguese report.

10. PawDog

PawDog NRA Member

Your post makes no sense.......Please try posting again when you're sober.

11. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Makes sense to me, even if it's not grammatically correct.

12. Saber99

Saber99

I'm completely sober, but really that line is getting old around here.

You say that we couldn't ever see the same results here in America because there are too many people. I disagree.

I'm saying that the system we have now is even more ineffective approach to solving the drug problem. Because instead of treating only those with addictions we choose to attempt to eliminate drug use entirely, which has proven to be an impossible and futile effort. It is far more costly to try and stop all drug usage in the US than it is to only treat those with addictions.

I also point out that those few hundred thousands addicts being treated in Portugal are being taken care of by a government which is far smaller than ours with less money and man power, which discredits the idea that our much larger government couldn't employ the same techniques to our drug problem to the same effect.
    Yes we have a far larger population but we also have far more resources than Portugal.

13. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

We can totally eliminate the crime of bank robbery by making it legal to rob banks.

What a plan.

14. Saber99

Saber99

You will have to excuse my grammatical errors. I'm in the middle of other work and my reply was written quickly.

15. method

method

Jesus Christ.

16. 3.slow

3.slow

"I don't use any drugs, I just drink a 24 pack every night and act violent toward those who love me."

What is the difference between a country of 10 million and a state regulating 10 million of its people. C'mon people, you can't be this thick can you?

Drug use increase or decrease, keep minding your own business. If the amount of drug abuse decreases, can you leave your house now? If these people are involved in crime, they will face the consequences whether they are under the influence of alcohol or crack.

17. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

And Singapore has NO drug problem because they execute the scum dealers.

18. nelsone

nelsone rank amateur

I am frankly ashamed to see so many disparaging and dismissive comments from willfully ignorant people who see continuation of the criminalization of addiction as the "right way," even in the face of the horrendous costs of our monumentally failed War on Drugs.

It makes about as much sense as arresting and imprisoning people who have heart attacks or become diabetic, because after all obesity and a sedentary lifestyle were their choices, right?

Instead of just having an online shoutfest, the best result here would be if a few open-minded individuals went looking for truth instead of a factoid or two to use as talking points.

If you don't like the Portuguese model, how about Japan? Users are treated medically - while big dealers are locked away.

19. glockpsych

glockpsych

Thank you, PawDog! That is my argument against most things when people try to compare us to European countries..."Well it worked there, why not here?"

Because our population is so much larger than most other countries and we could never afford it.

20. crsuribe

crsuribe 10mm Auto

Whoever says America could not enforce a system like that doesn't realize how complicated the current system is and how simple the new system would be in comparison.

Now about this particular subject, I'm neither for or against. I'm all for better and more affordable education in the U.S and not this war against drugs BS that's actually just drowning us in violence and blood.

Heck if nothing else let's invest some of the savings into our military and make sure we have the absolute edge in military technology at all levels and support the military efforts abroad where needed. But please stop wasting so much money jailing people who don't really harm anybody, and hit the profiteers at the same time.

Yeah that's what I'm for. Now whether people wanna get trashed? Oh they always will find something to do that with. Like everything else, don't hurt anybody and all is well. Same simple rules that apply to alcohol and some prescription drugs.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012