close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Portland officer avoided Taser in killing

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by TBO, Apr 6, 2010.

1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Portland officer avoided Taser in killing

Associated Press

April 5, 2010

PORTLAND, Ore. -- In newly released documents on a police shooting death in Portland, an officer says he did not think his Taser would be effective on a homeless man who came toward him with a knife because the man was wearing a heavy coat.

Officer Jason Walters also said he rejected pepper spray or a baton because the man was too close to him, and he didn't have any backup.

The investigative report by the Portland Police Bureau was released Monday after a Multnomah County grand jury found no criminal wrongdoing by Walters, a 13-year bureau veteran.

Walters shot and killed 58-year-old Jack Dale Collins on March 22 at the Hoyt Arboretum in Portland after repeated commands to Collins to drop the knife.

The shooting marked the second police fatal shooting in Portland this year.

link

2. Hoser423

Hoser423

Hmmmmmmm... sounds like pretty clear decision making to me.

Even if you can (I know you really can't) assume perfect taser conditions, with no chance at all for failure... this sounds like a lethal force situation. I'd sure hate to read about a dead or maimed officer bringing his taser to a knife-fight.

Even in Portland, there's more people that want and need us to do our jobs, than those who don't want us to.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010

3. merlynusn

merlynusn

Guy has a knife and advancing on an officer... and they want him to use pepper spray?? Are they serious? :shocked:

Sounds like a good shoot to me.

4. RocPO

RocPO

The problem is the public thinks the Taser is some sort of "Magic Weapon" like a star trek phaser that works under any conditions. It's that mentality that's going to get good cops jammed up or killed second guessing "well, what does the public want." Good decision making by PO Walters.

5. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

I heard the homeless guy was muttering: "Don't tase me bro", and the officer obliged.

6. THELimey

THELimey Ancient Member

Responding to a knife attack with anything less than gun would be fairly foolish. Good shoot. Glad Officer Walters is safe.

7. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

21 feet or less is way too close concerning speed and knives. Lethality warranted, and may he be at peace in knowing he did the right thing.

8. chance3290

chance3290 Fear Dli

I don't understand why the officer couldn't just tase the knife out of that poor man's hand.:faint:

9. spdski

spdski NRA Life Member CLM

When people say things like that to you, just focus on the important part of the statement and tell them they are correct. "You are correct, you DO NOT understand. Have a good night."

10. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

don't care if the turd was shirtless and sprayed down with WD40. Tasers are not for armed assailants. end of story.

11. spdski

spdski NRA Life Member CLM

12. Brucev

Brucev

Deleted.

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  13. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

The Lone Ranger could, and he would have melted that evil weapon into a pool of melted Ginsu (while Tanto waited to tactically neutralize him if the plan went south).:supergrin:

14. glock192327

glock192327 Where is eye

When will the police brutality ever end?

:whistling:

15. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

Bad guy has a knife, a deadly force instrument.
    Inside Taser range +25ft or less (My X26 with green door penetrator cartridges).

? Knife vs Taser...NEGATIVE

You don't meet deadly force with intermediate force. Subject brandishes a knife and is closing on the officer. The elements of jeopardy exists and the use of deadly force is authorized. It's easy to armchair quarter back after the fact but I don't recommend the Taser be heavily considered when the officer escalated to deadly force due to the subjects behavior/threats/and weapon.

ALL THAT MATTER IS THE OFFICER IS SAFE AND THE SHOOT WAS JUSTIFIED.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  16. chance3290

chance3290 Fear Dli

No, no. By saying that you miss an excellent educational chance. What you should say is: "Well Sir or Ma'am, let us test your hypothesis." "Please hold this knife." "Now, would you prefer I use my gun or my TASER?"
    This way has a two-fold benefit. 1) we educate the populace. 2) we practice our marksmanship.

17. tuica

tuica

As a resident of Portland, Oregon, I would like to thank PPD (as well as all Law Enforcement Officers everywhere) for protecting us and performing well in a job that most citizens could not endure.

18. rookie1

rookie1

Also sounds good here.

19. tuica

tuica

According to the Oregonian, the officer hit the perp. w/ four rounds of 9mm. This will probably start a "Caliber War" here, but one may want to question the effectiveness of a cartridge that needed four shots to halt a drunken, elderly, out of condition, attacker.

20. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

What the public doesn't know about making a life or death decision in a split second while trying to stay alive could fill a book.

The fact is, if you follow the +1 theory on use of force, an intermediate weapon (which the taser is), is under deadly force (which is where the knife falls).

I have a friend that tried to taser a knife wielder. He missed, and had there not been a backup officer with a pistol, the offender might not be the only dead person to come from the incident.
    In a positive light, the officer now understands the force continuum.