Porting the Glock Slide

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Themarinedoc, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

I see a lot of Glocks with beautiful Cerakote finishes, highly customized with porting of the slide, and other add on features. Any difference in the shooting after porting from your personal experience? The barrel isn't ported (as commonly done on the revolvers when I was a kid by Magnaport), but only the slide. I felt that this was probably done mainly for cosmetic reasons, so asked one of the leaders in the Glock custom business and he said mainly for cosmetics except in a few cases for timing, which most people didn't understand how to do anyway. Maybe a little lighter, which could possibly lead to more recoil, but I really don't know.

2. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Milling the slide removes weight and decreases cycle speed, that's all. It's not porting, that's for directional exhaust of gas.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020

3. JMS

JMS 02

I enjoy porting the slide and the barrel to match.
    E50DBD47-4E05-4878-8E7C-6F208A7E3073.jpeg 52B54F56-1F62-4606-90B5-48A1C6FDFD17.jpeg

4. Mike-M

Mike-M

Cutting those whirly-gigs in a slide is pure foolish cosmetic nonsense that weakens the slide's mechanical integrity.

As such, it appeals to the tongue stud and nipple ring gang.
    It increases slide speed.

FullClip and Themarinedoc like this.
  5. Rocks

Rocks

Porting doesn't do much except create a louder gun shot and a dirtier outside slide. Also, the shot flash may not be good with night shooting.

6. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

That's what I said. the lighter slide goes faster so the cycle time is less. That's why competition shooters lighten the slide, it's not for cosmetics. That is especially true in Steel Challenge, where their is no power floor, because there is nothing to knock over, just dink it. I used to run a 100 gr bullet going just at 1,550 fps on a milled out G17L slide.

7. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

When I was a kid, was always fascinated with the Magnaport ads in all the gun magazines. Couldn't wait to have enough money to buy a .357 magnum and have it ported up. They just looked so cool. When I finally got my S&W Model 27 in .357 magnum (long before I could really afford to buy it), started reading about how it increased the noise on an already loud gun, blinded you in low light with the muzzle flash and would catch your sleeve on fire (remember the BB gun that would put your eye out?). It was expensive, I was still pretty under financed and didn't want to catch myself on fire, so never had one. Still pretty cool if you have a gold colored barrel to show off. And nothing wrong with having spare barrels and possibly a spare slide around.

FullClip likes this.
  8. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Wow....sounds like we maybe were born twins. But I did by a ported Shield 45ACP. No complaints, but I don't carry it and thinking about getting a regular barrel for it....or plugging up the ports with JB Weld.

9. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

The flash isn’t that bad....

joecarp and GotWhatINeed like this.
  10. hivel9mm

hivel9mm

And yet Glock made C models. Maybe their engineers should be educated and admonished by someone much wiser for making slides with such weak mechanical integrity.

Having shot and owned both a G19 and G23, I did appreciate how much flatter the gun shot and how my splits improved. I shot in low light and the flash was no worse than an unported gun, however this would be dependent on ammunition used as well. Regarding the upward blast, I shot while balancing the cardboard from an ammo box at the front of the slide and it tore the cardboard up. But do you know what happened when I tried the same thing with an unported barrel? Same results.

The only reason I gave them up was dealing with the increased aural blast. It was as if I was shooting a short barreled .357 Sig and it was unpleasant.

joecarp and GotWhatINeed like this.
  11. L-2

L-2

Here's my "Magna-ported" G23Gen3, which was part of a trade deal. I didn't want a ported Glock and considered canceling the deal, but decided to try it out.

It works fine for me and is now my only gun in .40 caliber. I previously had a few G22gen2/3/4, a couple of G27gen2.5/3 guns, and a G35gen3, but sold them off over the years.

I found I needed to go from the usual 6.5mm rear sight to a 7.3mm (Glock's tallest) for me to shoot POA to POI. I suppose with those ports, the barrel is immediately pushed down, making it necessary for me to go up the two rear sight sizes.

Attached Files: