Ported Barrel - reduced recoil?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SamP250, Jan 20, 2020.

1. SamP250

SamP250

I'm looking for a 357 Sig barrel for my G23. I came across a used ported conversion barrel. As I read more, it mentioned that ported barrels help reduce recoil. Anyone have experience or knowledge of this? Also, for a ported barrel to function at it's best, should the slide also be ported?

What are some advantages/disadvantaged of ported barrels?

2. jmohme

jmohme

Yes, the slide would definitely have to be ported too, or the ported barrel will have no effect.

FullClip likes this.

3. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Porting helps a little but not much. I had a G20c 10mm and got an aftermarket barrel for it for shooting lead bullets because I thought you couldn't shoot lead out of a Glock barrel.

In comparing the ported barrel and the non-ported barrel side by side, I couldn't tell much difference.

Compensators are much more effective than porting in reducing recoil and attach to the end of the barrel which makes cutting holes in the slide unnecessary. Some barrels are extended beyond the slide and have the ports there but if the barrel is ported in the area covered by the slide, then matching slide cuts are necessary.

FullClip and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  4. Tom-R2

Tom-R2

I picked up a G23c with the ported slide and barrel. Shooting indoors I noticed a lot of blast being blown back into my face. Not so much shooting outside. I bought it with an after market 357SIG barrel that is not ported. The more I shoot the 357, the more I like it. I don't get the blowback in my face with it. I later bought an after market 40S&W non-ported barrel also that I prefer if I'm shooting inside. I can't really tell any difference in recoil.

slamdunc likes this.
  5. HardlyAble2

HardlyAble2

I have a pair of Smith Shields 9mm gen 1. One ported one not. The ported unit stays down on target notably better than the non ported. Recoil is about the same, but I'm quicker with the ported model.

B0308 likes this.
  6. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

The barrel and slide should be mated for porting.

Indoor ranges will be uncomfortable for yourself and others. Suggest double muff if you insist.

Porting primarily is to keep the sights lift less in reacquisition.
    I have found little benefits from porting 9mm, 40 S&W or .357 sig.

Your threads seem to be geared to recoil.....I would reflect on a 7 yard dime size bull and attempt(unless you are already there) ability to keep shots in that area.

Reflection in your skills today vs what you may be willing to do to reach a goal(s).

Suggest you find a Mentor for evaluation and progress, Good Luck.

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  7. DrewBone

DrewBone

Unless of course you've got an extended length ported barrel where it's ports reside ahead of the (normal) slide; such barrels are available from numerous vendors:

[​IMG]

Blanton, jmohme and Rocky7 like this.
  8. JMS

JMS 02

The shorter the barrel the more noticeable the recoil reduction is. A161174A-85A8-4859-88EF-80B20818E72B.jpeg EB8D2E60-1F47-4D8E-9832-C2FC774079FB.jpeg

9. CDW4ME

CDW4ME Enigma

Porting reduces muzzle flip.

jmohme likes this.
  10. SamP250

SamP250

Thanks man - I do pay close attention to your responses. Id say you're one of about 3 ppl here that honestly help me learn. I respect my Glocks. Recoil has been my focus recently, but there are some other issues I want to understand. I'd like to take a basic Glock Armorer's course. Well, hopefully I'll end up at the range today, since I'm off work for the MLK holiday. Maybe put 200 rounds thru the G23 and G22 today.

11. SamP250

SamP250

Nice!!! I have a G27. I need to get some quotes on the cost of getting the porting done.

12. SamP250

SamP250

I noticed Lone Wolf has some extended ported barrels.

13. DrewBone

DrewBone

Yessir, LWD being one of the vendors who offer extended length ported barrels, along with at least two others:

EFK Firedragon...

Storm Lake...

14. JMS

JMS 02

The difference in the 27 is even more noticeable.
    22A66A11-B8EC-425B-AE5F-354953CBF45F.jpeg

15. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a whole lot of difference with recoil or muzzle flip with my S&W .45 Shield Performance Center with ported barrel. But sure do notice a difference in muzzle flash. DSCN8686.JPG

16. SamP250

SamP250

I'll end up getting the porting for my G23. I'm doing quite a bit of other stuff to it. Finger groove removal, maybe some stippling.

17. DrewBone

DrewBone

SamP250 likes this.
  18. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

I like the extended port, too. You still get the benefit of a non extended, non ported barrel as far as getting all your FPS but you also get the muzzle flip reduction. I believe porting the non extended, shorter barrels robs velocity unless you're reloading and using a fast powder. At least with the extended barrel with ports, you're not losing power compared to the standard length, non port, and you don't have to cut holes in your slide.

wyntrout likes this.
  19. wyntrout

wyntrout

IMG_1774.JPG Mag-na-ported Kahr P40.jpg Mag-na-ported Kahr P40-2.jpg Barrels with the porting in front of the slide can still reduce recoil and the flash is less pronounced. I have a 23C with the ported slide and barrel, but I also have a Lone Wolf extended ported barrel for my G30S.
    I have a Kahr P40 and P9 with the extended ported barrels. The flash is unnoticeable to me, even in videos, since the flash is directed forward and up, away from the slide and front sight.
    This P40 replaced a Mag-na-ported P40 with the slide and barrel ported. This combo produced a lot of flash and dirtied the front sight pretty quickly.
    There's a big difference in the flash experienced with extended ported barrels and pistols with ported slides and barrels throwing the flash between you and the front sight.
    If your desired holster combo can accommodate an extended barrel, this would be a better setup with less flash.
    Shown here is the Mag-na-ported Kahr P40. The flash is dependent on the ammo used. Low-flash defense ammo is not so bright, but some ammo can have spectacular flashes with the slower powder burning outside the barrel.
    Wynn

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  20. wyntrout

wyntrout

Extended barrels with porting forward of the slide and front sight have less troublesome flash. Below from the left are my Kahr P40 with 4" extended, ported barrel, the Mag-na-ported P40, and my Glock 23C.
    The first picture is the Kahr P9 with the extended 4" ported barrel firing the Federal Micro HST 150-Grain 9mm bullets with a low-flash type powder... not as bright as SOME ammo. I chose this standard-pressure defense ammo for my wife and her G43. It was favorably tested in the big Lucky Gunner's defense ammo testing for velocity, expansion, and penetration from a short-barrel pistol.
    Kahr P9 with 4 inch ported bbl testing Micro HST 150gr 1-1_7832.jpg IMG_5954.JPG

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020