Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! I'm new around here and I'm hoping some of the Masters/Pros could share a little wisdom. I was gonna post this in the Gunsmithing forum, but the GSSF forum seems to outpace (at least for me) the others by a wide margin.

I just picked up a new 17L for use in GSSF. I'm toying with the idea of buying an extra barrel and having it either Magna-ported or ported like a 24C barrel for use in Unlimited.

My questions are: With the right shooter behind the pistol, would he notice a difference between the performance of the ported vs. unported barrel? Which style of porting would you opt for?

Thanks,
BP

·
5,227 Posts
A compensated barrel isn't needed in a 17L for GSSF Unlimited. I have a 17L and shot it 3 years in GSSF UL with a standard Barsto Match Barrel. The 17L has enough weight that I doubt unless you were using "Nuclear" loads that you would ever notice. No PF in GSSF so the comp on a 17L for GSSF I feel would be a waste. I now shoot a G17 in UL for GSSF and I do have a KKM Match Barrel with a Novak Comp. Since the 17 has a much shorter slide and hence less mass it will cycle much faster than the 17L and the Comp does vastly eliminate most all muzzle flip. This set up shoots almost completely flat. I know about a dozen Master Class GSSF Shooters that are using this setup VERY effectively. You can get a kit for this setup from http://www.bb-enterprise.biz/ Bobby also advertizes here on GT and is a nationally know shooter. I offer this comment if you want to look for more info. Not knocking the 17L because it is a great Glock, I still have mine all set up and ready and will not part with it.

Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A compensated barrel isn't needed in a 17L for GSSF Unlimited. I have a 17L and shot it 3 years in GSSF UL with a standard Barsto Match Barrel. The 17L has enough weight that I doubt unless you were using "Nuclear" loads that you would ever notice. No PF in GSSF so the comp on a 17L for GSSF I feel would be a waste. I now shoot a G17 in UL for GSSF and I do have a KKM Match Barrel with a Novak Comp. Since the 17 has a much shorter slide and hence less mass it will cycle much faster than the 17L and the Comp does vastly eliminate most all muzzle flip. This set up shoots almost completely flat. I know about a dozen Master Class GSSF Shooters that are using this setup VERY effectively. You can get a kit for this setup from [email protected]. Bobby also advertizes here on GT and is a nationally know shooter. I offer this comment if you want to look for more info. Not knocking the 17L because it is a great Glock, I still have mine all set up and ready and will not part with it.

Don
Thank you. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I bought the 17L for the competition class, and because I just wanted it. :supergrin: I had originally planned on building a 17 for an unlimited gun, but after getting the 17L I plan on using it for comp. and unlimited (for awhile).

I have studied many GSSF match results recently, and was suprised to find that most Matchmeister's were out of the Master Stock class. No suprise that it was a Master, but that it was shot with a Stock gun. That's what has me leaning towards just using the 17L.

Thanks!
BP

·
5,227 Posts
I will also bet you that 75% of the Matchmeister wins were with a stock G17. BP I also made an error in my first post. The [email protected] is Bobby's e-mail address, his web site is http://www.bb-enterprise.biz/

Sorry for the error, us "Old " guys have brain farts occassionally.

Don

·
20,407 Posts
The Matchmeister award excludes Unlimited entries--it's for the best Stock Glock score in the match.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts