close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ported Barrel/Compensator?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ibis55, Aug 12, 2012.

1. ibis55

ibis55

Got a few dumb questions probably, but don't know the answers so I'll just ask and get it over with.

Got a gen3 glock 23 and I was looking into changing some stuff up on it, specifically the barrel. I've seen barrels with compensators at the end and then I've seen ported barrels, ported slides...ported slides with ported barrels, etc.

Is there really a different between a ported barrel and a threaded barrel with a compensator? And all the other options listed above? Do they basically all do about the same thing?

I do have a suppressor I'd like to eventually throw on it so I'm leaning towards the threaded barrel so I could thread on a compensator when the suppressor wasn't on and basically have the best of both worlds.

And for the final silly question...anyone who has ever shot a glock with one of these mods...does it really make that big of a difference in recoil when you just shoot normal single shot slowly or is the recoil reduction only really noticed under quick firing?

2. elijah58

elijah58

The compensators are going to be about the same whether its ported or threaded on the end. I have two of the compensated models and just love mine, They shoot really well and recoil is lowered drastically. The compensated models also shoot really well and you notice a much lighter recoil on these when shooting single shots slowly, also when in rapid fire the muzzle stays on the target very easy without all of the muzzle rise you get out of the others.

3. CaneyCat

CaneyCat

I have a LoneWolf ported barrel in my 35 and I love it, Feels like shooting a 9mm now.

4. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

Barrels with vertical ports direct some gas pressure upwards, thereby reducing muzzle flip. A compensator does this as well, but in addition, it can direct part of the gas pressure rearwards and "push forward" against baffling, thereby reducing rearward recoil as well.

The bigger the caliber, and more specifically, the slower the powder/(and higher end velocity), the more these devices will assist with recoil control, (ie, more on a 357Sig than on a .40, even at identical power factor)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  5. barth

barth six barrels

My only experience is with ported barrels.
    I have extended dual ported barrels in .45(P220) and 357 Sig(G27).

For me,
    both barrels seem to reduce muzzle flip.
    But the 45 recoil feels the same to me.
    I think the hotter, lighter, higher pressure 357 Sig
    just works better with porting.
    Recoil and muzzle flip are noticeably reduced to 9mm +P levels in my light weight G27.

Opinions vary on how much porting does for a 40.
    I haven't shot one myself to comment.

6. ibis55

ibis55

Awesome thanks for the feedback! So I guess it might make more sense for me to get the threaded barrel so I could switch between the compesator and the suppressor. Your can't suppress a ported barrel can you? To me it would release the gases before it even hits the suppressor and probably jack the whole process up...but then again that's why I"m asking cause I don't know how this stuff works.

Also, I've seen some glocks with just the cut out at the top of the slide and then a ported barrel plus the cut out on the top. I'm assuming if you did both it would be a greater reduction in recoil compared to if you just had one or the other?

Lastly, like I said before I'm assuming a ported barrel with a suppressor wouldn't make sense, but I have seen pictures of the cut out on the slide with a suppressor attached, to me that would be the best of all worlds...no?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  7. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

You can't effectively suppress a ported barrel, but a suppressor is quite an effective compensator in itself because of the internal baffling.

8. CaneyCat

CaneyCat

The long slide Glocks(17L/24/34/35) have cut slides to reduce weight. So all you need it so add a ported barrel with no modification to the slide. This is my 35 with a Stock length LWD 4 ported barrel.
    [​IMG]

9. ibis55

ibis55

Good deal. Thanks for all the feedback guys.