close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ported Barrel and Night Sights?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by legion3, Jan 1, 2010.

1. legion3

legion3

I have a first generation G17L that has the ported barrel, I want to put night sights on it. Does anyone know if its OK to shoot a ported barrel and night sights?

I have a regular Glock barrel I mostly shoot it with but when I slap back in the ported will the night sights suffer?

Thanks

2. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I have a G22C & a G31C with Glock night sights on 'em. At worst, the sights get dirtier.

I also have a G24C, with Fiber front sight (against sight mfgr recommendations!) I've changed the fiber tube three times so far, from it becoming blackened and burnt.

:cool:
    'Drew

3. hikerpaddler

hikerpaddler

No issues whatsoever with standard (mep, trijicon) night sites. They do get dirty slightly faster, but not enough to be concerned with. The only downside to C models is that most shooters aren't at a level where they can tell much difference. No issues with flash, firing from retention, etc. as rumored.

4. mteagle1

mteagle1

The 21C I have blacks out the front sight dot within the first mag and with the forward angle porting of the 17L I would expect it to be much worse. Since you have and mostly shoot with an unported barrel I don't see a problem until you do a lot of shooting with the ported barrel.

5. threefeathers

threefeathers Scouts Out

No issue here at all. There is very little visable to the user flash, when you ar back on target the sights will be there.

6. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Drew, my 17C doesn't get that dirty shooting blazer and wolf? Are you shooting reloads or what? It has the two little side facing ports.
    Now my old 24c had the forward facing cuts, maybe the OPs gun has them, and they would dirty the front sight something fierce.

7. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Hello BT, (also check yer PMs...)

I (amazingly) do not have a G17C, and did not shoot one enough (50+ rounds) in any single instance to make a determination... (would you care to sell it to me? :)).

I also recall now, that I have the G20C and G21C and G23C :whistling: with night sights, and they too get a bit dirty. The G24C gets dirtiest fastest, as have you said, the ports point towards the front sight. :cool:

'Drew

8. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

My 23c gets the front trijicon dirty but it still glows and I can just wipe the soot off with my thumb.

9. 9mmdude

9mmdude

Drew,

The RTF models are listed as available with the "c" model. How about a 17rtf2 "C" for the collection?

10. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I have a pending order for a G17v4. I already have a G17RTF, and I'm looking for a G17C (regular).

I think that would make...

G17 v1
    G17 v2
    G17, G17RTF, G17L, G17C all v3
    G17 v4.

That's about it! :)

'Drew

11. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

That 17C is my GSSF unlimited gun and will probably go USPSA shooting when I get my new mount/sight in.