Portable DVD player review

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Smashy, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Smashy

Smashy

I got a new toy a few days ago, and I was bored so I took a few pictures so I could pretend to be someone important and post a short review in case anyone is thinking of buying one (and I know you guys have nothing better to do than read my thrilling action-packed posts, right?).

It's a Sony DVP-FX730, with a 7" screen...

[​IMG]

It plays DVD, DVD+R/RW/DL, CD, CD-R/RW, and MP3/JPEG discs (I have no idea what half those things are, I just got it to watch movies on).

It has all the functions you would expect from a full-size DVD player, including the remote, packed into a pretty small package. Closed up, it measures 6" x 8" x 1.5".

[​IMG]

It has a rechargeable battery that's supposed to last 5 hours with minimal power use (low backlight setting, etc), but I've been using the power cord mostly, so I can't say yet what the practical limit is for the battery. Also comes with a cigarette lighter adapter for the car, which I tried and it works fine.

It has two built-in speakers, two headphone jacks, and audio/video output jacks (and includes the necessary cable) so you can hook it up to a TV or monitor.

Everything functions fine during playback, searching, etc. Changing the settings is pretty straight forward, and the buttons are easy to use. There's a 'hold' switch on the side, which disables all the buttons so they can't be pressed accidentally and screw things up, while the remote still functions normally. It also has a programmable parental lock feature.

The picture looks great to me. You can change the aspect of the format, according to what the disc being played will allow. The speakers don't have a real deep sound, but they sound clear, with no distortion. But it sounds great with stereo headphones. You should also be able to plug in a pair of computer speakers for better sound, although I haven't tried that yet.

Overall, I'm happy with it. I'd recommend this model to someone shopping for one. Here are some screen shots (taken with my cheap Canon digital camera). These pics came out slightly fuzzy. The actual picture quality on the screen looks better than it appears in these photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Smashy

Smashy