Port vs Comp vs Port & Comp

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by SterlingArcher, Sep 24, 2015.

1. SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Posting this under competition as this seems the most likely place to find users of comps and ports.

I'm going to start converting a long slide .40 to .357 Sig and want to either Magnaport, install a Carver Comp, or both. My research and understanding of such things suggests the .357 would be great for this since it's pushing a light bullet with high pressure. But since I have no experience with porting or comps I'm hoping you guys can lend your opinion.

This gun is going to be for fun and my definition of a 'blaster'. 15 rounds of .357 Sig with low recoil and a Trijicon RMR sounds like a lot of fun to me! I'm already aware of the FPS change and increased noise, this is something I'm going to do and just want to get the most effective setup.

What would you recommend? Porting? Comping? A combination of the two?

2. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

A port is just a hole in the barrel to reduce the vertical recoil, which it does, but at the expense of loosing velocity, blackining the front sight, and lighting up the whole area at night. A compensator is a precisely fitted device on the end of the barrel to redirect exhaust to maintain a straight line reaction. Comps need very hot ammo to function correctly, and most guys run 124's or 135's to over 1,400fps to make them function. They also need tuned recoil springs. If you are serious about running a comp, then you need to reload. LoneWolf, B&B, and Jager are the ones I see in USPSA. The .357SIG is one of the few calibers that will make major power floor without reloading, which is generally enough juice to run a comp, at least in the 124/140 gr range.

3. SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Thank you, I'm aware of all that. I just don't have the experience behind them. So which would you recommend?

4. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Neither, unless you are going to shoot USPSA Open. Getting a comp'd gun to run is quite trying.

5. SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

I don't know how to say this without sounding rude so I apologize in advance; why exactly are you posting? In my first posting I said I researched them and knew how they worked, negating your first post. I also said I was going to do it and was just looking for the most effective setup, negating your second post. Once again, I apologize for how that sounds. I'm trying to figure out how what you posted relates to my question.

6. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Sterling, sorry, I only know about how compensators work for USPSA Open Division, My experience is only with competition, perhaps someone else will post with other opinions.I tend to easily forget there are many other shooters who are not competitors.

7. Christopher L. Garrett

Christopher L. Garrett

I shoot uspsa open, and I have a g17 from SJC and a ported G21. if you are going to shoot just for fun at the range a ported gun would be better due to the fact it does not require any special reloading.

8. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

agree, not for competition, porting is all you need.