Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about making up some food for my dog and while I was at the grocery store today I saw boneless sirloin porkchops for $1 a pound. I thought if mixed with rice and a few other things, the price could be very low per pound. Typically I don't ever see pet foods that contain pork, so I ask "Is there any reason dogs can't eat pork"?

Just to clarify, the meat would be fully cooked.

Another question, assuming pork is okay does anyone have a suggestion for a decent/balanced recipe? My dog won't be eating this forever, just every now and then when I see something on sale.

·
Registered
977 Posts
The feeding of pork in and of itself is fine. However, there are a couple things here to consider before doing this.

Unless your dog has an incredibly superdog strong stomach and digestive system, I think you're asking for trouble by doing this as an occasional thing. It sounds like you're proposing you might feed this for a few days to a week, then go back to kibble (good luck with that!) then a month or so later feed the pork mix again for a week, and so on....

You risk seriously upsetting his digestive tract (your carpeting will never forgive you :) ) and possibly initiating pancreatitis (which could kill your dog).

Another question, assuming pork is okay does anyone have a suggestion for a decent/balanced recipe? My dog won't be eating this forever, just every now and then when I see something on sale.
I would, instead, buy some when it's on sale and cut it into little tiny chunks to use as occasional treats.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Chicken quarters at my local Wally World are .58 cents per lb. Do a Google on raw feeding. Very enlightning and lots of people are going to it. A dog will eat any thing it comes across, dung, road kill, and drink from every mudhole in sight.

The only thing that has ever hurt my dogs was clumps of moldy grass that fell out from the lawn mower. I noticed one of my shepherds eating this one day and she bloated and died that night.

Best, Rik

·
Spares Weenie
152 Posts
My dog gets a couple of baby back ribs when I get the smoker fired up. Her favorite BBQ sauce is Sweet Baby Ray's!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well my dog has been eating pork since wednesday, so far no problems that I'm aware of. I mixed about 4 lbs of pork, 4 cups dry white rice and a bag of frozen veggies (16ounces). From what I've noticed her poop has decreased considerably but I've also noticed that it's a funny color. Almost orangish, not sure if that means anything, maybe it's from the carrots.

·
Me fail English? That's unpossible
3,698 Posts
well my dog has been eating pork since wednesday, so far no problems that I'm aware of. I mixed about 4 lbs of pork, 4 cups dry white rice and a bag of frozen veggies (16ounces). From what I've noticed her poop has decreased considerably but I've also noticed that it's a funny color. Almost orangish, not sure if that means anything, maybe it's from the carrots.

We feed our dogs raw/grain free food all the time. Chicken, pork, canned mackerel, garlic, ground beef, ground turkey, turkey legs/necks, liver, kidneys, beef tripe and raw eggs. We mix in some veggies as well. Since switching to a raw diet we've noticed less bad breath, eye boogers, cleaner teeth, shedding and less poop. Our dogs love it and we've had zero problems since starting about a month ago. Our dogs are healthy and their coats are great. We've stayed away from the rice due to the grains. We've got 1 GSD that has a food allergy to grains. IE rice, oats, barley, ect.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well this weeks recipe is 5lbs of pork, 20 ounces of chicken hearts/giblets, 2-16 ounce bags of veggies and 2 cups of dry white rice. This week I'm cutting back on the rice to see how my girl reacts/likes it.

·
Banned
3,647 Posts
Over the holidays my Border Collie had quite a bit of ham. She is normally fed Hill's Z/D and I/D and some vegetable scraps. I also gave her a little whipped cream from my pudding. She also got ito a litle bit of chocolate ice cream (very little). She's now in the vet hospital for the third day with pnacreatitis. Elevated enzymes, abdominal pain and vomiting. Stool is normal and she did not go into shock or lose any weight. She was happy and playful when I saw her today. They're giving her IV fluids and nutrition with some IV anbtibiotics. She has a mild fever. I'm hoping she'll be OK as I was unaware that giving her the ham was such a big deal.

Anyone had a similar experience?

·
Banned
5,099 Posts
i give my dogs raw steak and chicken. i dont see why pork would hurt them.
Well, whatever works for you, but when I asked my Vet about giving my dog raw meat, he advised against it & said it's risky because today's domestic dogs may become seriously ill due to their inability to handle the bacteria in raw meat - unlike a true wild dog (wolf, coyote, fox, etc) that has been eating it all his life & developed immunities.

As for pork, I'd be concerned about the excess fat causing problems as others here have mentioned. I've already heard about turkey/chicken skin causing pancreas problems for the same reason. After spending $5,000 on vet bills & having to put two dogs down because of gastric bloat, I won't take any chances & I stick to Dog food (Artemis Power Formula).

·
Registered
333 Posts
Over the holidays my Border Collie had quite a bit of ham. She is normally fed Hill's Z/D and I/D and some vegetable scraps. I also gave her a little whipped cream from my pudding. She also got ito a litle bit of chocolate ice cream (very little). She's now in the vet hospital for the third day with pancreatitis.
First, we all hope she's doing better. Sounds like she is getting the standard therapy for pancreatitis. These dogs often recover completely, but it takes a few days.

Second, this is EXACTLY what Platz was worried about. I have seen dogs die from inappropriate feeding, including (but not limited to) pepperoni pizza, ham, and vienna sausages. I've also seen dogs' pancreases destroyed from a lifetime of inappropriate diet. Most of these dogs can now have to eat a special diet, or have to have an expensive supplement to survive. And at least one dog that became a type-1 diabetic after a bout of pancreatitis (needed insulin injections).

Cody, this isn't really directed at you, as it sounds like this was just an unfortunate incident. But for most of the other posters, including the OP...

Good dog food manufacturers make a good, convenient, and relatively inexpensive product. If you really want to feed raw diets, you can even get those pre-packaged and balanced. WHY make life harder for yourselves by not using it? It's like saying, "Well, Glock makes a fine pistol, but I've got some spare pipe and a file in the garage, so I think I'll make my own pistol! And Gold Dots may be good enough for some people, but I've got some rocks in the back yard that are pretty much the same shape, so I think I'll use those instead. After all, people's hands evolved to throw rocks, not to shoot pistols. And besides, have you heard about all the toxins they put in ammunition?"

And my personal favorite: "Those premium dog foods aren't any good. I fed that stuff to my dog, and 17 years later he just up and died!" :wow:

Maybe I should switch to decaf...

·
Registered
977 Posts
Second, this is EXACTLY what Platz was worried about. I have seen dogs die from inappropriate feeding,
Unfortunately I've heard of so many instances of it that it's always in the back of my mind when people start talking about feeding weird things to their dogs. I'm not talking about tossing a potato chip to your dog while you're eating your pizza and chips one night, but when people out of the blue start feeding things to their dogs on an irregular basis, it just raises so many red flags for me that I can't NOT say something. Sadly, most dogs would be better off if they were fed unusual stuff on a daily basis (if one is going to do this kind of thing that is). Instead, people think it's better to just "occasionally" give them someone new out of the blue, and that's where you run into problems IME. Their system is used to processing the exact same amount and type of food every single day. You throw something different in there and your dogs digestive system about has a seizure.

I wish more people took these things seriously, but all you can do is give advice and hope they'll take it to heart. I think most people believe that the worst that comes from feeding your dog table food is bad manners. I wish that was the case.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Unfortunately I've heard of so many instances of it that it's always in the back of my mind when people start talking about feeding weird things to their dogs. I'm not talking about tossing a potato chip to your dog while you're eating your pizza and chips one night, but when people out of the blue start feeding things to their dogs on an irregular basis, it just raises so many red flags for me that I can't NOT say something. Sadly, most dogs would be better off if they were fed unusual stuff on a daily basis (if one is going to do this kind of thing that is). Instead, people think it's better to just "occasionally" give them someone new out of the blue, and that's where you run into problems IME. Their system is used to processing the exact same amount and type of food every single day. You throw something different in there and your dogs digestive system about has a seizure.

I wish more people took these things seriously, but all you can do is give advice and hope they'll take it to heart. I think most people believe that the worst that comes from feeding your dog table food is bad manners. I wish that was the case.
Platz, I have some questions about this.

Is it bad to toss our dogs some banana/apple/sweet potato pieces every once in awhile, sometimes once a day or so? Also, sometimes when we are trimming a chicken or something we toss them a piece or two, same with when we are making a turkey sandwich. Is this bad? I am not sure I follow how pancreatitis develops.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'm not a vet - but,

Pancreatitis generally develops when given something completely out of the blue and in a significant amount. I toss my dogs little scrabs here and there, I give them the ends of the banana, the fatty chunks off meat like you do, etc.

All in moderation is the key. Little bite sized pieces. Solid chunks of fat get thrown away, but the pieces with a smidge of fat that I don't want I will cut up and feed to them tiny piece by tiny piece over a period of time. They might get a cracker if they're lucky sometimes at dinner.

What the OP was suggesting, as I understood it, was to buy once a month or so large quantities of pork when it went on sale. Then he would be feeding it to the dog as the dogs MEAL for a few days or so, then back to dry dog kibble. Then a month or so later, a few days of pork, and so on. That kind of thing generally spells disaster. Then, as Cody Jarrett posted, his dog received a lot of ham over the holidays as well as samples of various other things. Not everyone's dog will end up with pancreatitis from this, some will be fine and others will just get the runs badly. But it's a heck of a chance to take.

Only thing I do want to note is that there are other disorders that can cause a dog to need to receive replacement enzymes, IE: most common with german shepherds is something known as EPI - exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. In short, the pancreas doesn't produce the necessary enzymes needed to break down food for proper digestion. This is something that can occur in ANY dog, regardless of proper care, and will usually reveal itself between 1 - 3 yrs of age. However, one can in essense CAUSE this in their dog as well by improper feeding and destroying the dogs pancreas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts