close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

poppers

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by weakeyes, May 6, 2006.

1. weakeyes

weakeyes

I would like to see the poppers on M always set on ring and paint. I had to double tap poppers at mingus. Shooting 9mm 120 gr. Double taps on poppers or plates can be bad news, sending second bullet out over the bearm. I think the poppers were set to ring and paint,later in the day.I was hitting in the popper center ring.
    Can the open guns shoot weaker springs and lighter loads??? If so are the poppers recalibrated???? I would like to hear some opinions.
    weakeyes (Bill B.)

2. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

Several folks at Mingus had poppers that didn't fall.

3. Ranger54

Ranger54

I shot Mingus, Glock 30, 230 g Winchester White Box, Glock 24C, 180 g Winchester White Box and Glock 17, 115 g Winchester White Box. All poppers fell just fine.

Now, I shot Saturday morning, done before noon, could something have changed?

4. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i had a popper not fall somewhere and was told it was a good hit with a g23. shot a "glock style" match last week in lexington and i double tapped a couple of popper hit with my open gun and a light 9mm load with 115gr bullets. the popper was falling, just real slow so i shot it again. i was shooting the popper last so i had time to watch it fall, maybe i need to go back to shooting them when i move from front to back so i don't watch.

5. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

The poppers take a second or two to fall. If you shoot them at the end of the string you just add time if it did not go down.

Shoot them in the middle of it, then you can see if it went, after you are done with the paper.

6. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

I have found that whenever you hit the steel, either pepper popper or plate, in a center or near center "hit area" and the steel does NOT fall, that the steel maybe broken are have an obstruction that is causing its calibration to change. Any hit from a minimum 125,000 PF (Bullet weight X Muzzle velocity) in the hit area should drop the plate. If you are using a round that has at least a 125,000 PF and you hit the steel in a good "hit zone" and the steel does not fall, I am suggesting that you request the steel to be recalibrated. If the RO refuses to do that, you may want to contact the GSSF Range Master, Chris, Cindy or Scott and report what happened and request them to calibrate the steel. If they find that the steel was not calibrated correctly, you could request a reshoot.

I noticed at Mingus that the pepper poppers were set heavy because the pivot bolt was worn and the poppers were shifting. I noticed their hesitation to fall so I aimed at the top of each popper and they went down okay. I was using a round that was generating 138,000 PF.

I had an incident last year at a match where I was shooting my MajorSub G30, using factory 230 grain ammo and after I had hit one of the plates in the center, it did not fall. Since the plates had just been painted, it was obvious where I hit. The RO called out my time and said, "1 Miss". I told her that I was protesting her call because I was using factory ammo and the plate didn't go down after a visible center hit. She told me that the plate MUST go down to count. I stepped off the line and she gave me the plate. After reviewing the plate before shooting my next gun, using the 9MM, it was found that the pivot pin was broken. The pin was replaced and the plate fell from the 9MM easily.

Never feel reserved and not speak up. It's common for some RO's who have been working the plates or Glock M all day to become discontent and not pay attention to how the steel falls. Making them aware of it is the first step to resolving the issue.

See ya on the range,
    Bobby