Pope and Young Club Black Bear Record

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by WT, Feb 16, 2020.

1. WT

WT Millennium Member

A New Jersey bow hunter took a 700 lb. black bear with a 23+ inch skull during the October 2019 bow hunting season. The Pope and Young Club announced that it was a new North American record.

https://www.pope-young.org/information/news_detail.asp?news=188

This bear was taken in Morris County, a short distance outside of New York City. A few years ago a 829 lb. black bear was taken during shotgun season in the same county.

In 2014 a black bear killed a NJ college student.

2. Out West

Out West

That is a large black bear! And just outside of NYC. Crazy.

3. Tvov

Tvov

I have relatives in Morris County. Get away from I-95 and the Newark area, New Jersey is weird - you will drive through incredibly built up commercial areas, then suddenly you're in a forest. Then commercial area. Then forest.

My sister lives in a condo on a hill (mid-state New Jersey is VERY HILLY!!) and it was not uncommon to see bears, or have reports of them. Dumpsters all have anti-bear locks on them (usually just a metal rod that goes across the hatchs).

There was (I guess still is) groups of enviro-wackos that fought against the reintroduction of bear hunting season. They are usually people who live in the cities (as always).

Wasn't there reports of an 800lb bear in New Jersey a few years ago? It might have been one of those internet things that got blown out of proportion.

4. Tvov

Tvov