close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Poor Lindsay Lohan!! Taken advantage of again!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by NCwriter, Mar 9, 2010.

1. NCwriter

NCwriter Senior Member

Lindsay Lohan sues over "milkaholic" E*Trade ad

NEW YORK, March 9 (Reuters Life) - The actress Lindsay Lohan has sued E*Trade Financial Corp (ETFC.O) for $100 million, saying a "milkaholic" baby girl who appeared in a recent commercial was modeled after her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEXZ2hfD3bU

Lohan alleged that online brokerage's use in the ad the girl, also named Lindsay, improperly invoked her "likeness, name, characterization, and personality" without permission, violating her right of privacy.

In her lawsuit filed Monday in a Nassau County, New York state court, the 23-year-old actress sought $50 million of compensatory damages and $50 million of exemplary damages. She also demanded that E*Trade stop running the ad and turn over all copies to her.

Lohan's lawyer Stephanie Ovadia did not return requests for a comment. An E*Trade spokeswoman declined to comment, saying the New York-based company had not reviewed the complaint. A copy of the complaint is available at www.tmz.com .

The New York Post reported the lawsuit earlier Tuesday. It said Ovadia maintained that Lohan has the same "single-name" recognition as celebrities like Oprah Winfrey and Madonna.

E*Trade's ad was shown in the Feb. 7 Super Bowl, which according to Nielsen media drew about 106.5 million American viewers, a record for a U.S. television program. It is part of a series of ads featuring babies who play the markets.

In the ad, a baby boy apologizes to his girlfriend through a video chat for not calling her the night before because he was on E*Trade.

The camera switches to the girl, who asks suspiciously, "And that milkaholic Lindsay wasn't over?"

It then switches back to the boy, who uneasily replies "Lindsay?" before another baby girl, presumably Lindsay, moves into the frame and asks, "Milk-a-what?"

Lohan was ordered in 2007 to serve one day in jail, undergo an alcohol education program and spend three years on probation after admitting to drunk driving and cocaine possession.

"It is clear to me that my life has become completely unmanageable because I am addicted to alcohol and drugs," she said in a statement at the time.

Various problems have made the onetime child star in Disney movies a staple of Hollywood gossip pages and the paparazzi.

A spokesman for Grey Group, which the Post said produced the E*Trade ad, told the newspaper the "Lindsay" in the ad was named after a member of its account team.

Grey Group declined to comment on Tuesday.

"Lindsay" was in 2008 the 380th most popular name for newborn American girls, according to the U.S. Social Security Administration. That was down from 241th in 2004, when Lohan's popular film "Mean Girls" was released.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0924078620100309

2. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

3. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

So Lohan needs free publicity now? A little cash strapped maybe? Phone not ringing like it used to? Maybe being a drugged out skank isn't all it cracked [nyark, nyark! up to be?

4. Jon91N/A

Jon91N/A

I hope she wins just so they have to stop airing that stupid commercial.

5. loki993

loki993

You gotta be kidding me. Somehow I find it hard to believe that an Etrade commercial is the cause of her any of her issues.

Personally if I were them, id but up all the airtime I could get my hands on and run it as much as I could just out of spite for the ridiculousness of it all.

6. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

I have never heard her spoken of with single-name recognition.

She is no Oprah or Cher. She is best known for three things, drinking, doping and whoring.

7. michael88

michael88

this is almost as bad as the hispanic community being up in arms about the taco bell dog.

8. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

Just a strange coincidence. She is a **** though.

9. ray9898

ray9898

Hopefully E-trade get the suit dropped and she has to pay lawyer bill.

10. AZ DBLTRBL

AZ DBLTRBL Out Of Order CLM

11. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

The only Lindsay who is close to single-name recognition is Lindsey Buckingham, and it's spelled with an "e".

12. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

Did she run out of money for blow?

13. SWFLA1

SWFLA1

She's pretty, but she's definitely not "all that"....

14. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

She's probably in deep need of money. "Single name recognition"?? Her first name doesn't have that! That statement alone tells me this is a fishy lawsuit. The burden of proof will be on Lohan to prove her first name recognition if this goes to court. She won't be able to which kills her case. And associating "milkaholic with the name Lindsay doen't imply it's Lindsay Lohan --. She doesn't have a chance -- the concept of the case is weak. E-Trade has deep pockets and Lohan doesn't. Her lawyers will recognize this but they'll get paid, by Lohan, if she loses. I hope they've checked her financials before accepting to take this on. As with a lot of lawsuits like this, her lawyers are hoping this settles out of court but I wouldn't be surprised if E-Trade just says bring it on, we're confident we'll win and you'll lose.

15. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

She's not even pretty, in my opinion.

16. Hartford

Hartford

She used to be.

17. nursetim

nursetim

"likeness, name, characterization, and personality" This ought to be pretty easy to defend. Did the character look like her? No. Did the character talk like her? No. Was the character a drug addled alcoholic lesbian? No. Directed judgment for the defendant, plaintiff pays defense fees.

18. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Yes. Until drugs and booze and whatever else hardened her looks. She's only 23 but looks 47. I have no doubt she would look a lot prettier if she didn't have the problems she had/has.

19. Orion's Belt

Orion's Belt Boost Addict

:shocked: Really? That is sad. How the...? You know what, I'm going to stop asking.

20. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member