close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Poor in America? Here's why...!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Averageman, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Averageman

Averageman

2. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

But but but, you don't understand. People should be free to do what they want and "pursue happiness." And when it doesn't work out so well, we should finance it. ;)

3. aplcr0331

aplcr0331

Poor in America? Here's why.....evil white racist white right wing racist homophobic racist white males.

Equal opportunity does not mean equal outcomes.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  4. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

That is why I never understood how its so easy these days for unwed mothers to exist in such high numbers.

Sure when I was a kid, there was an occasional Single Mom here and there, but today no one wants to get married, and women are just popping out babies without looking into the future of how they are going to raise them. They had the pill and condoms back then, so what is different?

They should give more incentives for couples to get married and stay married. Sure occasionally things don't work out and divorces happen, but today it seems so easy to just shack up with a girlfriend, knock her up, then split.

5. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

It is not 'privilege', they started out the very same.

It is about not getting pegnant, dropping out, and not marrying, and having 2 more kids...........

The author is trying to fuel a class war, when it is more about making good decisions.

6. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

In general, no one is "poor" in America. There are plenty of broke people and there are some people who make the least amount but there is no real class of poor. We have effectively eliminated poverty in this country. So much so, that for political reasons we have to keep changing the definition of the word "poor."

Take a long hard look at what we have to "pitty" about those with "less" in this country. We dont watch people starve to death in this country. We have actually been conditioned to feel bad for people and see them as "poor" when they have crappy cars, cant go to elite schools, live in small government paid for appartments, and have to make choices like "join the military or not get out of their situation...."

I refuse to buy into the change in the definition of the word "poor." We have no poor, we have a dead weight class. They are fed, they are housed, they are clothed, they have access to education and the workforce. Most better than some of the middle class of most other countries. There is no amount of "more money" at this point that will change them, it will just make them better cared for dead weight.

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

So, the poor whites...that's who had been oppressing them, eh?

8. Averageman

Averageman

I think you left a bit out of that quote.
    There reason they are better off or "privileged" is because they made good decisions.
    You finish H.S., go to College, then to a University then you start work, then you look for a mate. In that order.
    The article stated that these folks tend more than average to stay together and have more money and stability.
    Willy nilly breeding and a lack of education will make your dreams (if you had any) end up in a welfare line and a single wide second hand trailer.
    At best we are paying for their failures, at worst we are rewarding these folks to breed more of the same.

I think the Rabi has hit the nail on the head when he says,
    "It will just make them better cared for Dead Weight."

9. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Why should I be tied down to just one piece of tail? Iz gotz to keep it real and get down with mine! :rofl:

10. SGT HATRED

SGT HATRED

Seriously...?

11. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

I can't say it any better than Rabbi did. Being "poor" just ain't bad enough to make some people want to do better.

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

This may be poor [​IMG]

13. Bruce M

Bruce M

But this is not poor [​IMG]

(at the risk of stealing from Rabbi and putting what he said into pictures)

14. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

"Why did I leave India? I want to live in a country where the poor people are fat!"

~Buddy of mine.

15. captainstormy

captainstormy

+1

I work in IT so I've meet a fair number of guys who moved from countries in Asia where they really do have poor people.

Think about the differences between the poor here and in India. Poor people here are fat, sit in air conditioning and watch TV while talking on their cell phones and surfing the new on their laptops.

Poor people in India die from illnesses we can cure with common drugs you can get at any Wal-greens in the US.

I watched a pretty good documentary on Netflix a while back about leprosy in India. It's very common in India, so much so that they have entire towns populated with nothing but people who have leprosy, and they die in droves from it over there.

We can cure it here in the US, with some fairly cheap drugs. It's possible to get it in the US, they have new cases of it every year in the states in the south west, apparently armadillos are a carrier for it. It isn't a problem here though.

That's the difference between poor in the US, and in other parts of the world.

16. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

In much of the world this is poverty.

If you live this way in America, it is a choice.

17. Detectorist

Detectorist

How the heck did you find my house?

18. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

You know just to derail the thread a little bit. I remember the mid 1980's and the Cosby show.

Black folks seem to almost ready to assimilate into the America way of life. Back then the rates for single parenthood were lower in the Black community. More seemed to be moving up the corporate ladder, and getting a college education. They talked educated, and those in the Ghetto tried hard to get out. I guess I'm thinking of Will Smith and Quest Love (the drummer for The Roots), both black kids from a rough area in West Philly, who buckled down, Cosby-ied up, got out of the Ghetto, and hit it big.

Then something happened.

I think more and more its because of a glorification of ghetto life thru rap musice and media, along with the disappearence of a lack of shame in the welfare state.

Its funny because its seems that whatever it was its spreading. I see young people from middle class neighborhoods from all walks of life (white/black/hispanic/asian), with serious future potential, throwing it all away and going ghetto. The say screw education, screw marriage, I'm going on welfare and living the life that a poor family would be ashamed of 20-30 years ago.

There is no "Shame" anymore in being on welfare or a single mom

19. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

My wife has two BAs and a Masters. She cannot find a job in her field so we fall under "poor" in America. We qualified for food stamps at one time. That said, compared to the world I am not poor.

It is easy to take that view when compared to friends and surrounding families but I have a vehicle,house and food with central air and heat. Folks get caught up in what they don't have instead of appreciating what they do have.

20. droidfire

droidfire

Why try, what's the incentive?

Why work for flat-screen tv's, spinners on a pimped-out beater, and cell phones/internet, when you can just chill out and let someone else pay for it?

You know that internet access is a right now? You wouldn't deny someone their rights.

All you idiots out there paying for it, wake up. The more you pay for it, the longer it goes on.

You want to end the gravy train? Join it. Until everyone's riding, it'll just keep chugging along.

So why not just swallow your pride and bury your self-respect in the yard. Go sit in your .gov bought lawn chair, pop the tab on a can of your favorite that uncle sam bought you, and wait for the sun to rise on a new america.

You want to force them all to learn some self respect? It'll cost you yours.

Does the question "why try?" still have the same meaning, having read this?

Working people are slaves to the welfare class. Racism is smoke and mirrors.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine