Poop eating?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by beethoven, Mar 10, 2005.

1. beethoven

beethoven

My Pug eats poop, how can i make her staop. She comes into the house and jumps on the couch and then all i can smell is her breath!;0 I really need some help on this one. Its driving me insane!!!!

thanks in advance!

2. Buckaroo

Buckaroo

Talk to your vet many times this is a sign of not getting the minerals they need. More common in females and most common in whelping/nursing females

3. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Maybe you should patrol your yard so poop isn't so readily available for consumption.

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

If nothing else....;f ;Q ;f
    [​IMG]

5. xcop

xcop

Your vet can give you a prescription powder which you sprinkle on their food. Tastless on the food when they eat it but converts to an extremely foul tasting substance during digestion. Most dogs find it so awful it cures them...or at least stops them for a long time.

6. Samson

Samson

My two sheps had (and still have on occassion) the same problem.

Try xcop's advice. Also, there are pills you can give them directly which also work (to a point). I've also tried meat tenderizer which worked.

Unfortunately, sometimes the dog will continue to eat his poop. The best remedy is to clean up the yard as soon as possible (and, if you can catch her in the act, scold her so she knows that she's doing something bad).

Another reason they eat their poop is their natural instincts telling them to clean-up after themselves (not leaving scent trails).
    A little passed on trait from their ancestors (sort of like a dog that turns in a circle several times over one spot before finally lying down; they are crumpling the leaves/foliage to make for a softer bed).

Good luck.

7. RBB

RBB

Our vet recommended that we sprinkle some meat tenderizer over her food. It worked!

8. SJC 3081

SJC 3081

I didn't know there was anything wrong with eating poop. Should I stop ? And why?

9. Samson

Samson

;z

Just make certain you brush your teeth before talking to anyone up close (or anything else similar)... ;a

10. gabbygus

gabbygus

Our standard poodle use to eat, our other dog's pooh. I think cause he was in this huge pen, with other dogs, at the kennel. And learned to do it there. So I was upset, when he go behind the others eating up there pooh.;0 Talk about a crappy diet.

Well it is true, meat tenderizer does work. It is suppose to make the poop taste worse. Now how in the heck, can poop taste any worse. You got me there.

It took about a week of sprinkleing a little meat tenderizer on the dog's food. And Eddie, stopped eating the pooh.

Plus we always try and keep the yard picked up. Good luck, it well get better.

11. SquareRound

SquareRound

Poo eating is from not enough salt in the diet. Meat tenderizer taste good and has plenty of salt.

12. joker1

joker1

Eating poop (copraphagia) is normal, if not a pleasant, behavior for dogs. High protein content of modern foods leaves alot of nutrients behind in their droppings. In addition mothers will instictivly consume their pups feces as a way of keeping the den clean. Pups can't even void on their own for the first couple of weeks. Sometimes bordom is a factor.

Here's some things to try:

Pick up your yard! Scooping regularly avoids the opportunity.

Feed twice a day or more, as opposed to once, to keep the dogs belly from being completely empty.

Meat tenderizer on the dogs food sometimes helps as do products like "Forbid".

A change in your doggs diet from dry to canned may help. Softer stool isn't as yummy. Slowly introducing vegetable oil into the food until your dog has about 1 Tsp/10#s body weight.

Try adding some soft cooked veggies to your dogs diet. Not sure why this sometimes helps. It may be softer stools or the vitamin thing.

What usually doesn't work:

Yelling at or punishing the dog. They just don't seem to get it.

Good luck.^7